Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking for research resources.

btripp6

I am in GA and am looking for research sources to find Confederate camp sites. I have found a few here and there but am really looking to branch out and local historic societies have been absolutely no help. Thanks for any info you can provide. If you don't feel comfortable posting it on here I can provide my email address. Again thanks!

There are other sources but the local library has be a help for me.

What part of Georgia? I am in North Atlanta area.

Historical Society’s rely on donations and this is how they establish the vast amounts of collections they catalog and store. If one finds a “camp” or other history related information and donates even the smallest artifact to back it up then other people can look and feel history.

A recent short story in the local Society’s magazine showed three sisters having a picnic in 1905. The article said they lived on property that had a small dairy and orchard and where it was located. It was an “uhhh, what?” moment for me as that property is where I live now! If it had not been for that family giving that photo and story to the Society I would have never known that tiny point of history.

I have donated a couple finds to the Society which has become corroborating evidence of someone else’s information. If they have no information on any camps being there then think about giving them something which indicates there was something there and thus they begin to show and share with other history buffs.

Newspapers.com has helped me in the past. You can get a free trial.

You can also check https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/ for newspapers from the 1700'son up, from all states. Not 100% comprehensive, but pretty thorough. You could also check with your local high school and colleges history departments to see if they can further guide you or maybe get lucky and run into a knowledgeable local history buff