Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking to buy a Cortes or Deleon (need help)

pjroo3

I currently use a Minelab Explorer II. I love the performance and I will never get rid of it. It's a great machine. I'm looking for a capable back-up detector that will give me a faster sweep speed without sacrificing too much depth. I can then go after the deepies with the Explorer. I'm interested in the TID as well.

My question is this.... Can anyone recommend a place I can purchase a Cortes or Deleon at the best price? I rarely see them posted in the classifieds. Also, do I need to buy new to be eligible for the lifetime warranty. Thanks for the help.

Not seeing them for sale that often says something about the detector.

Both Tesoro's are going to be easier to swing than the EXII because of the weight difference. Both get the same depth. It comes down to the bells and whistles. The Deleon is turn on and go while the Cortes has a few extra tricks for making an ID.

Dan

Hightone said:
Not seeing them for sale that often says something about the detector.

Both Tesoro's are going to be easier to swing than the EXII because of the weight difference. Both get the same depth. It comes down to the bells and whistles. The Deleon is turn on and go while the Cortes has a few extra tricks for making an ID.

Dan

Thanks Dan,
I love the thought of a lifetime warranty. It seems pretty rare that I ever see a Cortes or Deleon on any of the sites I visit. I guess people don't wanna get rid of them. I'm not looking for many bells and whistles. I have enough with the Exp II. I'm just looking for another machine to enjoy alongside my current detector. Any recommendations on a place to purchase one at a nice price?

pjroo3 said:
I currently use a Minelab Explorer II. I love the performance and I will never get rid of it. It's a great machine.
It's always a good idea to have 2 or 3 detector models so that one can compliment the other(s) due to different performance characteristics.

pjroo3 said:
I'm looking for a capable back-up detector that will give me a faster sweep speed without sacrificing too much depth. I can then go after the deepies with the Explorer. I'm interested in the TID as well.
The tricky part here is your desire to have a "faster sweep" model that won't sacrifice too much depth. The second part is also wanting some form of Target ID.

Tesoro's are, by design, a dedicated 2-filter type detector and are slow-motion detectors. No, not ultra-slow like the Minelab Explorers, but darn near. There are a number of detectors that can be sweep slowly like the Explorers and still work well. However, without knowing the type of mineralization of ground make-up where you'll be hunting, I'll simply caution you that most true 2-filter designs, such as Tesoro's, can and will lose depth and even shallow target responsiveness if swept too briskly in higher mineralization. It's especially bad in black sand, pea gravel, and similar ground conditions. Other models, such as White's Classic series, Prizm series, all the Garrett's I've used, Bounty Hunter and most of the rest out there are going to be rather stubborn when it comes to trying to get performance with a faster sweep speed.

There are some, however, which have more of a 3-filter design that are very forgiving. They will allow a faster sweep, almost like the better 4-filter type models, yet can be worked quite slow;y. Of this group my personal favorite is the White's MXT. Now, I'm not trying to sway a detector pick to White's just to put down Tesoro as I own and use an assortment of detector models, including a Garrett or two, a few Tesoro's, a few White's and a favorite old Compass. I just don't want you to be misled thinking a Tesoro can or should be used with a fast sweep. Oh, I use my Bandido II

Personally, I really like my Cortes. The fact that the "good" finds show up as a 95 seems like a good idea to me. I don't need to remember a bunch of numbers. If I see a 95 on at least a couple of passes, I dig. I dug over 1000 coins out of one school yard last summer ($140). I haven't had nearly the experience Monte has (only 18 years detecting for me) but I have owned a few machines. Some I hated (GTI2500, Ace250, Sov GT) and others I liked a lot (Golden uMax). The Cortes is the best (for me and my area) that I've had so far. I have an F5 coming so we'll see how that works out. Regardless, the Cortes is a keeper for me.

As for warranty, if the machine is not obviously abused, they will honour the warranty. I bought my Cortes used and it had a problem. I talked to James at Tesoro and he told me to send it in as they are very concerned with making sure their machines are working their best. Mine was repaired without cost.

Like Monte says, it depends on your soil. I happen to have soil that allows the Cortes to work like a champ.

Dan

I have a DeLeon that works very well in my area. I'd like the display to separate the dime and copper penny like the Cortes, but it is quite accurate as to lumping copper penny to silver coins at the 95 reading. When that shows up, you can be pretty darn sure it will be a coin other than a nickel or zinc penny. All in all, I like it.
HH
BB

dan b said:
I have owned a few machines. Some I hated (GTI2500, Ace250, Sov GT) and others I liked a lot (Golden uMax). The Cortes is the best (for me and my area) that I've had so far. I have an F5 coming so we'll see how that works out. Regardless, the Cortes is a keeper for me.
Like your Cort

I have owned several Minelab products. I now have three Tesoro detectors and a White's M6. I have a Deleon but I hardly ever use it. I started using my Golden Umax and love it. I dig more targets because it's a tone machine. However, I now find a lot more good stuff besides coins.

I would be willing to sell my Cortes, works great just looking to try something different for the type hunting I do. I can send pics
pm me

shortcut1224