Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looking to get into water hunting... got questions

IowaRelic

I live around Mobile, one of the wettest and oldest cities in the country ....1702. I want to try some river hunting but I’m actually scared to try.
I’ve been on the water my whole life but not in the south. The environmental factors like gators, snakes, parasites and other things have kept me from it so far but I still research the sites I would try. I’m also unsure of how objects sink or don’t sink here, EVERYTHING is sand. In the creek behind my house I can like 15” deep beer cans, so is there no point in hunting rivers or creeks in the sand?
These are newb questions and concerns, I know. Any tips or experiences you share are appreciated.
I’m really just looking to locate some crossings or areas along the banks where property owners had riverfront structures. I think most the rivers are pretty deep and swift here, with a lot of traffic so it will be a creek situation more than likely.

I'm in the NE eastern Ct I river hunt now a lot mostly use my Kayak to access areas that are hard to reach old crossings beaches ect, if your concerned about gators stay out of the water and hunt the low tide area and banks that show erosion from storms and high tide they can be a treasure trove for finds!
People used the river banks to sit on and boy do I find some nice coins after a storm has eroded the bank usually just under the edges.
Good luck
Mark

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Yes, I understand a kayak or Jon boat is needed for access. Especially in this area where a lot of my researched sites have no nearby roads, but all are on water.
Are you locating finds in sand or are your banks like shale, clay, gravel, exposed bedrock? Etc

I have tried large river hunting on sand bars and small objects weren't found. Seemed like the current caused vibration and coins settled out of reach quickly.
HH Jeff

My experience with water hunting taught me one thing
It's not as easy as it looks, but that's where all the virgin hunting spots are
now located.
Do not think for one minute a gator will not attack at the shoreline
that is their favorite place to hunt.

Thanks for the reply, Mark. Yes, I understand a kayak or Jon boat is needed for access. Especially in this area where a lot of my researched sites have no nearby roads, but all are on water.
Are you locating finds in sand or are your banks like shale, clay, gravel, exposed bedrock? Etc
Mostly sand mud some areas are rocky those can be very difficult to scoop.
Mark

I’ve been seeing gators daily. I’m good on all that, no thanks. Got 4 kids....don’t need any of that jazz in my day.