Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Looong time since I've posted

My days of detecting on a regular basis ended many years ago, but once in a while I get out and do some swinging. And occasionally I luck out and find something good. Even my favorite beat to death park gives up one or two goodies from the soft winter ground:

[attachment 371635 01-03-20finds.jpg]

Last year, I took my son up to his basketball tournament in Wisconsin. I had a couple hours to kill and hit some parks I used to do well in many years ago. I was surprised to find that there is still some good targets to dig from these places:

[attachment 371636 2019finds.jpg]

It takes a lot of patience, slow swinging, and more than a little luck to get any production these days. Take care and Happy hunting - Mike.

Mike,

Did you keep any photos from the glory days? I think there are many current users who would not believe what was found when the Explorers first came out.

Chris

Glad to see you still get out from time to time. I’ve learned a lot from your posts and the one trip I had with you many years ago when I first got my Explorer put me years ahead on the learning curve. Keep up the great finds!

Mike, for a guy who doesn’t hunt often you sure do well, congratulations on those cool finds!

Thanks again for the tips and posts, they did help me out!

Tony NJ

Congrats! My wife has relation around the Bridgeport-Wauzeka area! Lots of history around there!

Mike, good hearing that you are still in the hobby. I followed you back in the early days. When I bought my first XS, I ran your program and I still somewhat use it on my SE. Hopefully you can get out more in the future.

Hey Mike,

Good to see your pics again, congrats on some very nice finds. Is there a chance you'll post what machine your swinging and your settings. I just picked up a couple of Explorer II's and would like to see what settings you normally use. Thanks for the post!!

Hey Mike, this is Bob Hohman Sr. We hunted together years ago at Forest Park, O'Falllon Park, along with several group hunts. We were part of the same metal detecting club in St. Louis. We use to have the monthly meetings in Jennings then. I believe we both bought our first Minelab Explorers from Gary, who also was in the club. I took about ten years off detecting and got back into it in 2017. We moved close to Rolla, and now do mostly relic hunting. Great to see you still detecting when possible!

Hey Mike. It has been a long time, for you and me both. I have swung the Explorer XS for the past 20 years and had a blast making many great finds.
I always enjoyed reading about your road trips and seeing your finds. The Explorer was an awesome machine and will still hold its own against most machines out there.
However, I could no longer find any old coins in the parks I hunted. So last year, after 20 years with the Explorer, I finally bought a new detector, the Anfibio Multi.
I once again have been able to find some old coins in the parks I hunt, but nothing like I did the first several years with the Explorer.
Anyway, good to hear from, and don't be a stranger. Keep on swingin!

You’ve been a long time inspiration to many guys Mike, and that’s no sh*t. I don’t know where you got your info from or if that’s simply all a collection of observations and time on the machine but it counts, in a big way. Something as difficult as the Explorer can be to learn yet SO capable...many times people never even get to the stage where the machine is optimized and doing what it does best. I can only imagine the number of machines sitting in closets, or worse. To have those charts and diagrams you’ve made has been extremely helpful in learning how the machine is seeing stuff, and cursor movement seems to be enhanced with the CTX’s “Target Trace”. VERY interesting stuff you’ve put up before and I must say...it has NOT gone to waste! Thanks for all that. And nice work on the oldies, it’s not easy to go out and dig nothing but old coins, unless you have a method and one hell of a machine to do it with.

Kevin