Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Loose Lower shaft on New Sea Hunter Mark ii

EasySwing

Got my Sea Hunter yesterday and assembled it. The lower shaft is attached using only one nylon bolt and as such wobbles. Why would Garrett not put another hole for a second bolt to attach the heavy coil / shaft to the connector shaft. I heard about some shaft locks. Where can I get them and what are they called.? The shaft really wobbles as well as the arm rest. My other detector an MXT is rock solid using shaft locks on the lower rod. I took it out for a quick test run and found 3 coins and 2 bottle caps in the wet sand. I ordered a pro stock scoop 9 1/2" wide one today so I can go into the water. It does indeed go deep. Any info to firm up the wobble would be appreciated. Thanks. Marty

Apparently..?..."Garrett adressed this issue along time ago with the added material to thier lower shaft where it goes into the upper rod."

Perhaps the sloppy shaft can be returned and replaced for an improved version ? .... assuming the Sea Hunter Mk II purchase is of New origin.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?62,1336924,1341700#msg-1341700

ivanll

With all due respect..
Garrett did not address this issue as of 11/2010 as the shaft wobbles excessively due to the single bolt design. The same design over a course of 4 years is still a design flaw in need of addressing. Why should anyone have to post obvious problems on any detector when 2 swings of a detector exposes a real problem and then have to find a creative way to fix the problem? Not to mention having to shell out more money to fix what should have been fixed long ago. As we all know shaft design is not a NASA level problem. Assemble a good solid shaft with good locks and sufficient bolts. I am a marine engineer for over 25 years and it never ceases to amaze me. I am not knocking Garrett, but just expect a well designed unit in the simple areas. Marty

As for your PM question re availability of stem lock at Walmart, sorry don't know, we do not have a Walmart store.
ivanll

Ivanll,

Appreciate your care and input. I am very interested in obtaining these shaft locks. I tried to google these locks but no luck. You said you did purchase them at either kmart. We have kmart here. I have questions

1.) Are these locks attached to a new shaft or just self contained. In other words will they go on the existing Sea Hunter Shaft?

2.) I have seen these shaft locks on painting roller extensions and also on my MXT Detector. Do you have a close up pic of them? Thanks so much

Actually, that lower wobbly isn't an issue to me at all. A bit of play doesn't affect performance, and as far as I am concerned, a little play on the lower rod actually prevents some falsing from sudden stops when at the end of your swing. I have a Detector Pro which has a tight shaft,, and it was almost impossible to remove that inner rod because of the buildup of silt and sand. Be careful what you wish for.....switching coils mounted on a lower rod in the field might turn into an impossible task with a tight lower rod

John,

It is not the lower shaft connection, but the upper connection. The entire shaft is connected to the upper handle arrangement with 1 plastic bolt. The wobble is at the top. Not good. In other words the entire shaft wobbles from the upper connection. Marty

John,

It is not the lower shaft connection, but the upper connection. The entire shaft is connected to the upper handle arrangement with 1 plastic bolt. The wobble is at the top. Not good. In other words the entire shaft wobbles from the upper connection. Marty

EasySwing said:
John,

Just to spoil the fun the first Sea Hunter Mark II Treasure Diver, had the same long Two piece shaft as did the first Sea Hunter XL 500 PI.
New Sea Hunted Mark II uses a 3 piece "S" handle shaft like the Infinium LS.
Largest amount of "slopping" or "wopple" is between the upper "S" handle tube and the lower tube where they are joined by a plastic tube.

Replace this plastic connecting tube between the upper Aluminium "S" handle and lower Aluminium tube with a piece 20mm OD Aluminium tube, if this new tube needs to fit tighter then give it a spray coat or two of Etch Primer til it fits to your liking.

Alternately expand the existing plastic joining tube by heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer while inserting a 5/8+ round dowel.
Another alternative the plastic tube can also be expanded by spraying it with Etch Primer or Automotive plastic bumper primer but it is less effective than proper expansion for a perfect fit.

ivanll

I couldnt have said it better John...the bit of play doesnt bother me either.

I also have had detectors with tight shafts and could hardly get them apart (GB2, MXT) after awhile of use with stuff locking it up. The Infinium/SeaHunter shafts always come apart easy even with all sorts of crap that had worked its way up there.

Yes, be careful what you wish for. Try using it first, then address issues after useing it a bit.

Alan

I have never had a seized shaft :thumbdown: in 30 Y's of water :detecting: not even once on all the shafts I've fitted with a wobble eliminators.
Guess its just a matter of thorough cleaning after each use :thumbup: and regular maintenance.:thumbup:

ivanll

Yeh Ivan, basically it was in the dry hunts where crap built up...not the water hunts.

I clean my machines now better than I did 10 years ago.

Alan

If you ever get to hunt in the sea when the surf is up, you will soon know how much sand there is in the water and how quick smart it find it's way into any available crevices both on the detector and personal.

ivanll

I found that one wrap of electrical tape between the connection points works well. You just have to replace the tape when needed.

Bought a Infinium last yr. same problem. Didn't want to kill my time. So I bought Anderson straight shaft right now. Shouldn't had to, but life's too short.!