Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lorenz 5

A

Anonymous

I would welcome any comments on the above machine which I purchased last year. I hope to use it for deep/hoard searches, but to date have not got round to using it as my other machines keep me busy. I only search inland sites. Thanks for an excellent forum with none of the inane comments that many others seem to suffer from.

DAVE: HAVE YOU USED ANY OTHER PI. MACHINE FOR DEEP CACHES YET? I HAVE A PI 2000 WITH 1MX1M CABLE AND IT GETS ABOUT LIKE THE VLF's MAYBEE A TAD DEEPER. I ALSO LIVE IN INLAND S. MO. AND THE MINERALS ARE TERRIBLE HERE,I THOUGHT MAYBE THE LORENZ WOULD GO A TAD DEEPER AS IT HAS NO PHASE SHIFT OR DELAY AS SUCH. DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THEIR DEPTH,WAS JUST FISHING LOOKING FOR A BETTER MOUSE TRAP. THANKS

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the PI Forum. We would be interested to hear sometime if the ferrous/non-ferrous indication on the Lorenz is reliable. Does it work both for small and large iron?
Eric.

Eric,
The Lorenz web site is at: http://www.metaldetectors.de/uk/start.htm
I was suprized that they were not making a big fuss over having an iron discrimination capability. They mention reading the conductivity of the target which is displayed on an analog meter. A blue light flashes on the meter to let you know that the meter has just been updated with information for a new target. They also sell a limp coil! You get to wind it onto a PVC or wooden form yourself! The most amazing thing I could see was the price. These detectors are not at all cheap. They claim that they will have their new operating manual for all to read on their site in the next few days. This may shed some light on it's discrimination, Dave. * * *

I owned and disposed of both units listed below, among others. Their highly inflated retail prices and marketing hype does not overcome their dismal performance in the field. If A&S can wholesale them for $6-799, can you imagine how little Kellyco must pay as the distributorship?
Pulse Star II Pro Retails $2000 our price is $699 minimum 10 to order , (Sold as expensive as $3995 other places)
Lorenz System 5 Retails $3000 A&S Dealer only, (Sold as expensive as $4995 other places) Dealer cost $799 minimum 10 to order.
No minimums on any other detectors.

Thanks for the replies to my query sorry about the delay in responding. Although I bought the Lorenz over a year ago, it has been little used. I tried it on ploughed fields and had hoped the discrimination might overcome the normal PI problem-not so, I detected lots of iron, which meant I lost a lot of detecting time. It does give a blue light supposedly when detecting non-ferrous items, buts its easily fooled. I resorted to my Whites XLT and a Sovereign. I did try the 8m single loop coil on a 1mx1m plastic frame after my club found a hoard, but that produced no real results. I have kept the machine as I hope it will yet live up to its claims. Other points of note:
a. There are very few in use.
b. I found Lorenz themselves reluctant to give any information about existing users.
c. I believe the main rod is a Whites stem.
d. The coil, whilst well made, has no scuff cover so I made up my own. Also the stub insert to the stem which holds the coil fulcrum hole is made of a very brittle plastic!
e. The control box is well made, and the cable connectors, which appear to be built to a military specification, appear waterproof.
f. All parts come in a very substantial padded box-looks good.
Yes it was pricey, and I only went for it after I had received abysmal products from the manufacturers of a PI made in the UK. On the plus side, Nigel at Regtons who supplied the Lorenz fell over backwards to help me out. If I have any successes I will mail you-when the F and M is over. Happy detecting.

We now have an existance proof: The Lorenz Pulse 5 uses 3 amp-hour 12-volt NiMH batteries, which are listed for sale as accessories.
Use of NiMH batteries should double the run time compared to NiCd batteries.
But the Pulse 5 still isn't worth $3,000.