Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Losing Detecting sites

Rob (IL)

I know this is not specifically about the V3i but still it is important. I live in Will county Illinois and my county borders Dupage county. It is forbidden to detect in the Forest preserves of both counties.

Now on April 4th 2012 the Cook County Forest preserves banned metal detecting. The Cook County Forest Preserve District (CCFPD) has over 68,000 acres of land. Now that is a big hurt. It reads that just the possession of a metal detector or digging tool will lead to a $75 to $500 dollar fine.

It gets harder for me to fine old sites near by and I have to drive farther. I've sucked the close ones dry. Any thoughts? Have place you want to share if you are close? Have detector will travel. :devil::devil:

Send Avery Marder an email let him know the situation. info@detectingrights.com

Rob, over the last few years, I have lost many of my detecting sights. Although I fully support the mission of Habitat for Humanity, new homes have been built on my tried and true formarly vacant lots. That's progress and it IS for a good cause. I've concentrated on the remaining lots and have employed different hunting strategies such as changing coils and settings to try to find what I have missed in the past. I deliver Meals-on-Wheels, so I frequently travel in the oldest parts of town and I always have my eyes open for new ground. Every so often I'll drive 60 miles to another town and swing the coil there. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I hunt in town but old finds are scarce. I'm combining detecting and using my RV. Getting to older smaller less upgraded sites it's my only choice. I have have to go more than 60 miles. It's just the changing times. If you have sites that are close them consider yourself lucky.

In the urban areas here if it is old there is something built on it.

We have to constantly adjust our strategies. Google Earth coupled with local history books have put more than a few goodies in my pouch. I am not afraid to go to what many consider to be bad neighborhoods to swing my coil. I also have been known to go to older neighborhoods and just knock on doors and ask permission to detect yards. Most people are pretty nice and when I tell them a little bit about myself and what my intentions are, will grant permission. About 20 years ago, I knocked on somebody's door, where there were about 25 or 30 foundations on his property. He was an old "Hippie" and granted permission if I would search for his favorite pipe that he had lost. I never found his pipe but I did find a LOT of silver and other goodies.

I'm sure that you will figure something out, Rob, where you can save time (our most precious commodity), and still get your share of goodies!

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Howdy all,

A few months ago I was asked to stop detecting in one of our city parks. There are no ordinances against MDing in the parks, but it's a small town, and after talking with the park manager, some MDing will be allowed. He's working on a proposal, and I told him I'll come to the city council meeting and comment. So far, the new ordinance hasn't appeared on any of the published proposed agendas, so I may have to call and see what's up! The good that has come out of this so far, is that I've been driven off into the mountains, which is where a retired woodsman should probably be anyway. The Finds haven't been anything to get excited about, but the environment is second to none. I thought I'd share a few facts about MDing on federal lands. If everyone already knows this, I apologize.

First of all, if you're over 62 you can get a lifetime access pass for $10. A yearly pass for others costs $35, and day permits usually run $5 to $7. Around here, passes are required at trailheads, boat launches and many other day use facilities. The pass will also get the holder and 3 other passengers, and their vehicle into any (I think any) National Park - free. The pass is good for US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands. It's a super deal. For more information, just google USFS senior pass.

I've read posts in the past that said you can't MD on USFS land, and this just isn't true. There is a huge difference between National Parks and lands managed by the Forest Service. On USFS and BLM land, the land is open to MDing unless 1) otherwise signed, and or 2) sites of historical significance are involved. In the latter case, the federal archeological and cultural laws kick in. (I guess I can see where some states may have large tract of federal land off limits because of the many civil war battles that were fought there.) If archeological or cultural items are found, you're supposed to stop digging and notify the USFS/BLM. I also read a USFS publication that mentioned 50 years old as a starting point for archeological significance, but the item must also be significant to the value of the site. Coins and Jewelery, regardless of their age, have no archeological significance on a developed recreational site. (This from a conversation with the local USFS office.) For the most part, sites where MDing is not wanted are posted, but that's not true in all cases. I know of 2 sites on the local forest that are listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, and they are not posted. I just stay away from these sites. I should probably stop rambling before I stick my foot in my mouth. Try googling 'metal detecting on USFS land'. If you do google, don't go to the forums and listen to people like me for your decision. Anything you read should be put out by the US Department of Agriculture. On our local forest, I've talked to a lot of people driving USFS vehicles, and so for nothing even close to negative. There's a lot of potential out there - but it may not be for everyone.

The reason of all restrictions anyway is you know detectorists we ve got be a little bit of in mind that making holes in those people properties we ve got fill them back also.

cypearl said:
The reason of all restrictions anyway is you know detectorists we ve got be a little bit of in mind that making holes in those people properties we ve got fill them back also.

Way wrong. The first few months I had a detector working...I only hunted in my own yard. I frequently found my holes, which I did fill in the day before, bug up again. Possums and skunks. Detectorists may get blamed, but it is not always their faults. martin

The problem is these rules and regulations for parks other public lands are often not drafted independently.

More than a few merely "harvest" the rules and regulations of other parks and public land systems they can get via the internet and merely change the names.

It happens a lot more than you might think.

And that is often how metal detecting restrictions suddenly come about: they were never deleted from the regulations they took from another county or agency.

You are correct about small parks. My town fathers are stuck in their ways. The Chicago preserve is another case. Clubs tried to get a permit system for years. This ban was not an accident.

i have wriiten a few letter to some politicians over the years in different states where towns were trying to slow down detecting. my main story line was that there are many veterans disabled and otherwise who enjoy this great hobby and that taking a diviot in the ground and properly replacing it is no different than 1 on a million dollar golf course. i would really hate to see a vet who,s only enjoyment was metal detecting have it takin from him ......... we love our md, ing just as they love their golf .. or hunting etc. etc. i seen know reason why a town and the responsible md,er couldnt work so we can all enjoy our hobbies.. i actually had a few replys from them saying they were goin to bring it up at the meetings and see what they could do.... at least it was a response..... but if it keeps going the way it is and noone speaks up itll only get tougher,,, HH

If you read the entire post you would see there is a lawyer involved at this point. You have to remember this is Chicago. All I can say is good luck. I don't live in the city, don't drive there, hate it, and have had 3 parking tickets in my life, that didn't belong to me. Talk about hours of jumping through hoops.

I have heard for years about cook county forest preserves being off limits. I detect them and the only time a cop said anything was not to dig holes ,But I could detect? I had one cop run me off a couple years ago ,But since no problem? Maybe I just haven't run into the right cop yet? If they are serious about it they should post a sign with the rest of the rules. If worst comes to worst there is always Chicago parks. But with all the gangs these days you are taking a risk. That is why they don't care I guess as they have enough to worry about. The cook county forest preserve does to with all the drugs and prostitutes and gays. I guess I will keep going until fined. I use to belong to a club in joliet and still have some buddys in it,I guess I should call and ask what they are doing about it.

The new ban is listed early in the post Harold. I also use to belong to the same club and the club hunted the preserve twice a month. Windy City would not have gotten a lawyer it the new ban wasn't true. I never used to say no detecting. It used to say no digging. Now even possession of a detector is a fine. Please do check.

The concerning language from Section 3-3-14 reads as follows: New this year

"Section 3-3-14: INJURY OR DESTRUCTION TO FOREST PRESERVE PROPERTY. No unauthorized person shall in any Forest Preserve:

I. Use, possess or offer for use a mineral or metal detector, magnetometer, side scan sonar, other metal detecting device, or sub bottom profiler on Forest Preserve District property nor shall any unauthorized person be allowed to excavate, remove, damage, alter or deface, or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface Forest Preserve District property in connection with or for the purpose of engaging in metal detecting activities. Any person violating any of the provisions of this Subsection shall be fined not less than seventy-five dollars ($75) or more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each offense."