Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lost Treasure magazine

chuck ky

Have they gone out of business. I haven't received a magazine in a while even tough I still have over a year on my subscription. They haven't answered any of my e-mails and they website has been shut down.

Some one said that they were going to digital but if you can't answer e-mails and don't have a website it would seem that digital wouldn't be possible.

chuck said:
Have they gone out of business. I haven't received a magazine in a while even tough I still have over a year on my subscription. They haven't answered any of my e-mails and they website has been shut down.

I guess there are no more "Lost treasures" to be found. If you have a stack of these mags, hold on to them. They will be worth some serious money.

I have just read where Western & Eastern Treasure Magazine was "going digital only", and heard rumors that Lost Treasure was too. When I re-upped my subscriptions, I was offered, (Western & Eastern Treasures), to get a "digital subscription" for roughly half price of actually getting a real hard-copy; However, I preferred getting an actual magazine because, unlike some, I don't have one of those new "smart phones" and I always prefer saving my magazines for future reference. I see where Western & Eastern Treasures are , w/o any prior warnings or notices, ONLY going "digital, and are now willing to give you their "digital subscription" for the same price as getting the actual hard-copy! Wow, how generous! I paid in October for a two year hard-copy renewal plus their Silver & Gold Issue. I do have this slow as snail computer, but don't live on it. If that's not bad enough, I thought "at least I'll still be getting my issues of Lost Treasure", but now discover that they basically have taken our money and ran, ( subscription to Lost Treasure paid up until Nov. 2020.). I think legal action is warranted, and even if they folded shop up and ran, the owners and/or editors should still be liable.

Ever since the spread of the internet widespread use (last 20+ is yrs ?) : Any/all paper books, magazines, newspapers, phonebooks, etc.... have gradually gone by the way-side. And add Kindle to the works, and you can see why no one is buying paper anymore. No one even looks up ph. #'s in phone books, for instance. They/we look up ph. #s on google or whatever.

Hence magazines are becoming a thing of the past. Unprofitable.

So too for md'ing clubs: The brick & mortar clubs are also a victim of the internet. People get their socializing, education, show & tell, research, etc.... all from the comfort of their easy chairs at home. Books, magazines, clubs: R.I.P.

I tried calling Lost Treasure about my subscription and get a message saying that number has been changed check your magazine for the correct number. Anyone have a recent issue with the toll-free number. Thanks.

I guess I am a Grumpy old man but I hate the way the hobby has changed down to no more Magazines. Yes I know other Mags are going out besides this Hobby but it still sucks along with most public spots being closed do to over improper digging. I miss the small cult like Hobby days when We were considered some crazy guy out there digging trash and paid no mind to. This is what happens when a hobby goes mainstream and gets too much attention.

Harold said:
..... most public spots being closed do to over improper digging.....

Hey there Harold, I'm a grumpy old man too (58 yrs. old, haha).

I know that the knee-jerk reaction to anytime there is news of "public spots being closed" is: "Someone must've left holes". In fact, that's often-time even the answer you'd get from any park personnel (city or county people or rangers or whatever). Is : "No because of holes". So the md'r mutters under his breath: Durned those guys that must've left holes". Right ?

But I'm not so convinced that any encroaching rules is d/t holes . EVEN when that's the "go-to-reason" that someone tells you, to accompany their "no".

Instead, most of the time, "holes" is just the knee-jerk connotations that a man with a detector has. EVEN IF HE NEVER LEFT ANY HOLES. If someone simply sees a man with a detector, on nicely manicured turf, they could simply think "He's going to dig", and will boot you. And if you say : "But why?", they'll say "holes". EVEN IF THEY NEVER SAW ANY. Or to simply see you in the process of digging a target (even though you were going to cover it and leave no trace), they'll just assume you might leave a hole.

See ? So don't be quick to think that any encroaching rules is d/t holes. It's often time just the go-to reason that a desk-jockey gives, when tasked with the "pressing question" of "Can I metal detect ?". Or the connotation they draw, to simply see a detector. It doesn't mean there was ever a case of anyone leaving holes.

Instead, I think the two top reasons for any encroaching rules is

1) Skittish md'rs who show up at city halls asking "Is it ok to detect in the park ?" The pencil pusher passes out the "safe" answer of "no". And if you say : "But why?", they say "because of no digging / holes" (Gee, aren't ya glad ya asked ? )

2) Archie cultural heritage concerns (heaven forbid you might find an old coin). BUT EVEN THEN : How did it get on an archie's desk for his princely approval ? Again: Well meaning sincere md'r who "push this pressing question up the ladder of bureaucracy" And it lands on an archie's desk for his consideration.

So as you can see, most rules are MD'rs simply making themselves a giant bullseye. Not holes (IMHO). This is exactly why most of my hunting in nice manicured turfed parks is done at night these days. So peaceful So serene .

Yes we been over this and We lost most are spots do to 6-8 guys at a time hunting a spot all carrying shovels. They would have there Little group hunts. That's What happened in my area yours might be different. You can't hunt a park or preserve area like that as draws to much attention from busy bodies.

Harold said:
... yours might be different.....

Ok, but question for you : Did those guys "carrying shovels" therefore "leave holes" ?

While I'm not advocating "carrying shovels" (since it carries connotations), yet, if/when it comes to "holes": Ironically, sometimes a shovel, to make a neat plug with root-ball in-tact, is .... ironically .... sometimes the best way. Because believe me: A person can do a lot of damage with a lesche, or screw-driver probe, etc.... But to cut a neat 4-sided plug (assuming moist-ground where you can keep the root-ball in-tact) is .... ironically ... neater/safer.

So in the case you cite, I wonder if the guys were merely singled out for blame (of future laws/rules) because they : 1) left holes, or 2) were simply observed by passerbys who thought "oh no, they're going to leave holes".

Thus the point remains: Is it someone truly "leaving holes" ? Or is it merely the connotations of a man-with-a-detector, or a man-with-a-shovel ? If so, then as you can see: "holes" (the end result) is not the issue. It's visibility that's the issue.

Some did some didn't. But the ones who did still didn't bother to back fill with a towel or rag so the dirt around the grass is just as noticable. It's the same with those YouTube clowns that everyone pats on the back on that other forum I am sure You know which one I speak of. Instead of praising them they should let them know that their carelessness is hurting us all. Everytime I do it I get shut down as being grumpy and old or jealous. Shovels just plain look bad and have no place in a open area. Nuff said.

Harold said:
.... Shovels just plain look bad and have no place in a open area. ....

I don't disagree. And so too does the simple image of "a man with a metal detector" . Even with no shovel, even when he's never even stopped to dig. This is why 90% of my nice-manicured turf hunting is done at night these days. When no one is around to observe or gripe. So peaceful. So serene.

What others don't see, can't hurt them, eh ?

I sent another year's payment of $33.95 to Lost Treasure on 10/4/2018 for a12/18 to 12/19 subscription, and the check was cashed! Never received any mags or a refund.
Even if 10,000 people subscribed or were subscribed, they cut out with many thousands of dollars owed to the people who paid and never received their issues.
I loved the mag but to me, that's taking the money and running. At least I didn't go for a two year subscription!

I went for 2 years. I tried calling them but only had the number out of an older 2014 magazine. I get a message that says the number had been changed and to check my magazine for the correct number. Anyone have a more recent magazine with the toll-free number.

Blame the era of the internet. Fewer and fewer people buy magazines :(

this image created with Ohm Magic Electrical Resistivity machine

%D8%AC%D9%87%D8%A7%D8%B2-%D9%83%D8%B4%D9%81-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%81%D8%B1%D8%A7%D8%BA%D8%A7%D8%AA3.jpg