Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

lots of folks are looking for that magic setting on their favored model, I'd say just as important, is coil sweep :twodetecting:

Hombre

..Well it ain't that easy to get to the finer art of coil sweep, just trial and error with your favorite settings on your preferred metal detector on a naturally buried target found, not a fresh buried coin. With my slow motion 2 and 3 filter detectors like my IDX Pro or MX5, I use a side to side sweep speed of about 2 seconds, just count 1000/1...1000/2 for swath of about 30 inches. With my faster sweep 4 filter models like my XL Pro or 5900 CB.... I can set up with a smaller coil like the 5.3 BullsEye and by raising the SIGNAL BALANCE and adjusting the GROUND BALANCE to just a bit positive. I can almost swing as slow as the 2 or 3 filter detectors mentioned. One neat thing though about the ultra slow sweep speed 2 and 3 filter detectors is you can go along at a snails pace and get good targets that are masked by iron or aluminum trash. BY using a slow sweep with the 6½" coil, overlapping the coil inch by inch.. that is the winning ticket to unmasking.

..Coil overlap is not talked about much and I move forward inching along listening for masked type signals. I move like a turtle in the trash, why hurry? The old manuals state that you should overlap not any more than ½ of coil diameter. This is too much overlap when you consider how tiny the signal is on an 8" dime with a small concentric coil. The audible signal does not cover much area and if you are over lapping sweeps at ½ of coil diameter you are going to miss that 8" dime. There are some who would say use a DD coil in that situation as you would not have to overlap as much, what I am saying is what we are looking for is like finding a needle in a haystack. It takes a slow and methodical search at the right LOCATION to find the hidden treasures that lay beneath our feet.

..Then there is a technique of slowly raising the coil over the found target while using short sweeps and listening to how the signal drops out, I have found that big iron stays loud and then suddenly drops out. Smaller non-ferrous will gradually and softly drop out with that wonderful modulation if your detector has this excellent feature.

I hunt this way with my MXT-Pro and I've been able to pull some goodies out of horrendous trash! :super:

-pete

Most people walk THEN sweep. I started years ago sweeping with an overlap and letting the sweep dictate when I should take the next step. It becomes a second nature after a while and most can' t notice the difference.:thumbup:

You all do make great points. Overlapping and going slower has made a world of difference for me with either type of coil, especially the smaller ones. Sometimes I just have to laugh out load when I see someone walking along at a regular pace just a swinging away. Always I ask myself, should I say something to them? Naw, mind my own business and go in after they leave. :lol:

Slow is the way to go! I posted my recent experience about the importance of this using a D2 coil… great results:detecting: