Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Love the AT Gold but...

JohnApthorp

I live in Central NSW - Australia. Yesterday I drove the 400kms to our closest beach for Christmas. This morning at 0400hrs, I grabbed the AT Gold & headed for the beach. It was still an hour & a half before sunrise - the first day after the world was supposed to end. For a while I thought I was the only survivor as it was 2 hrs before another person showed up.
I pushed all the buttons on the Pro before it came to life - I had forgotten to bring a torch & also forgotten the exact position of the on/off button on the pro. Eventually I thought I had it set up right as it beeped when I dropped one of our coins down & waved the coil over it.
Over the next hr, I found several coins & when the sun came up & I was able to read the digital display - I said something a little stronger than Homer Simpsons " Doh!"
I had just detected about 100 square meters in discrimination mode 2 - the mode that eliminates most of our good coins.

I switched back over to discrimination mode 1 & picked up $20 over the next hr. My fault as I should have taken a torch.

If there is 1 thing that would really improve this otherwise excellent machine, would be for Garrett to include a illumination light in their displays. This would help people who detect beaches before the sun comes up & detect gold via the full moon.
Otherwise this is an excellent machine - it paid for breakfast at McDonalds for both the Wife & Myself.

I also hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas & all the best for 2013 - make a go of it because if you are reading this, then you missed the worlds end in 2012.

Gary.

Hey Gary, You might try one of those "squeeze" lights found at home improvement and hard wear stores. They hook on to your key chain and are very handy
in a pinch.
HH, Dale

Had an excellent outing - we don't get to the beach that often. Definately love the AT Gold better than the wife's AT Pro. She as already pointed out that I get a third of the fun - she swings & finds the targets, I dig, she collects the finds. What's fairer than that?
"G"

Yeah! What Swinger said...I have expeienced the same thing, beach hunting in the dark, with no idea what the settings were, and hoping for the best! Thats some good loot!:clapping:
Mud

You can get an inexpensive LED light that fits on your hat or headband. Might be able to spot snakes, et.

Yes, a backlight would be nice. I don't usally hunt in the dark, but lately, I've been hitting some interesting targets just as the sun is fading... I finally added a cheap ($5 Rayovac) LED flashlight to my backpack. It's super light, bright and gets 18 hours on 3 aaa batteries. Came in handy last night digging some tokens out of an old railyard.

I've got some of the small key chain LED lights. One of those could be taped - attached to the control housing. A head lamp is good because you can use it when digging etc.

A backlight would be good but with the small battery compliment of the ATG it would drain the batts quicker but for the convenience that may not be an issue.

That sure was an eventful morning, you started off with a good laugh
and ended with a heavy pocket and breakfast for two.

No bling?

I use the ACE 350, and am waiting on the AT Pro to arrive. A back light would be nice even in the daylight for me. Often the glare from other light sources, usually the sun, or my sunglasses keep me from seeing the display. A back light would probably help in those too. But, how much more will these machines cost for a convenience.