Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Low and slow...Wheaties and silver...

REVIER

At a big park where I have found gold and silver jewelry but not one silver coin I finally snagged one.
I have hunted this same area several times before with all kinds of machines and coils.
3 wheaties, a silver ring and a 50's quarter, too.
The ring might have been in the ground since the mid 60's when this park was dedicated, it is one of those rare ones that doesn't clean up so easily, but I have had real silver and even a few silver dimes like this before and it is marked sterling so I am sure it is silver.
I never thought I would ever find a silver coin in this place even though I know they are around here, somewhere.
A beautiful 1600 acre park, I think I finally found an area I can concentrate on for awhile.

Used the F70 and the sniper DD coil and went super slow this time...slower than usual.
I can thank the heat for making me do it this way, concentrate on figuring out signals to the best of my ability so I would expend less energy on digging so much trash, but hey, it worked!
I will continue to use this set up and method and see what else I can find

How is the depth of the sniper compared to your 10" elliptical?

1600 acres should last you like, forever. This is a good example of never completely hunting out an area.
:thumbup: Probably the only one who will find a target behind Revier though is Revier.

IBdiggin said:
How is the depth of the sniper compared to your 10" elliptical?

1600 acres should last you like, forever. This is a good example of never completely hunting out an area.
:thumbup: Probably the only one who will find a target behind Revier though is Revier.

I actually love that little thing, been using it for the last few hunts because I have been hitting a little more trashy areas lately.
This hunt was mostly under trees in the shade because I was trying to stay out of the sun and the mid 90's heat.
Not the amount of trash under these trees like near picnic pavilions or basketball courts, but a good amount since people seem to gravitate toward these things in parks and people have been using this place since 1964...the year this park was dedicated.
The trash, which I mostly tried to avoid digging except for the solid signals that could be gold, consisted of beaver tail tabs for the most part, lots from the 60's I believe, a lot more from the early 70's...and those stupid high tone pop tops.
Those pop tops have always been my arch enemy, more so when using my DD coils, but the F70 makes it easy to figure these out by getting that high tone, pulling back the coil to rim the front edge over them and watch for the drop to iron which will happen most of the time.
Regarding this something really cool happened on this hunt that tells me I am slowly becoming one with my great F70.
As a fellow F70 swinger you should appreciate this.

I got a high tone signal and pulled back that little sniper which is also a DD coil and saw the exact same behavior that comes with swinging over a rusty older pop top.
High tone, jumpy, pull back the coil and then got an iron signal.
It was classic in the tone and the numbers and I was pretty sure there was a pop top in the ground under my coil...but in this case something was different.
That high tone seemed a little too solid, a little too loud, a little to sharp on the end, a little too something to make me think this was just another false high iron tone 100%.
All day long I left most of these things in the ground and I am really not sure exactly what it was that made me stop and examine this classic trash signal further, but I did.
I bent over and put my Propointer on the ground and got a signal where the high tone was, and then moved it back about 3 inches and got another signal.
I dug the wheatie first, totally surprised again, and then dug up the second signal which was indeed a pop top.
For the newbies this one was totally recovered due to instinct.
I have my about 1000 hours using the F2 and listening to the differences between false high tones and the real deal to thank for this.
So glad the the F70 shares this tonal behavior and thank goodness for whatever it was that I learned using the F2 that triggered my curiosity and digging instinct.
When we say learn your detector well this is one of the reasons why.
It could mean the difference between digging up something great or walking away...maybe.

Most of the difference on this hunt and probably the reason I found these targets this time and never before was the very slow speed I was swinging that coil.
I know about picking up more signals with slower swinging, even with a super fast Fisher unit, but I don't do it all that often or as often as I should so this hunt was a great reminder.

As far as depth I think the sniper can come close to or even match the depth of the elliptical...almost but not quite the depths of the 11"DD even.
These older targets, the wheaties, a 50's nickel and the merc were all about 5-6" in depth, not super deep but deeper than most other targets I usually dig at this park except iron.
Good to know...I didn't think anything was dwelling down there because I never found much at this depth, especially and specifically not one silver coin till I hit this one.
The soil was bone dry too, gotta go back to this area after a rain and see what's up.
In my great soil the standard coil can reach 8" easily with pretty good and accurate ID's...and I can get clear tones on coin sized objects at 10" or so although with no info popping up on the screen.
I can also see numbers on targets past 10" when I hit the pinpoint button, and the sniper seems to work about the same with my limited experience.
I just got used to using snipers, enjoy using them and overall they seem to have found me more and better targets...but that also might be because the size helps in target separation and you have to move slower because of the size to do it right.

I carry the elliptical with me when I mount and use the sniper in case I come across a wide open area with less trash, but I rarely have the patience to stop and change over so I just go with whatever I start with through most of my hunts.

Revier, is it try the F-70 is an Iron hog , ? do you think it picks up Iron to much ? I heard this from someone . just would like your input seeing you have actually used the machine by the way nice merc & ring

Great finds, pics and write up! :please: looks like you are maximizing your time on the F70 on all spectrums of its strengths!:thumbup:
Mud

kaolinwasher said:
Revier, is it try the F-70 is an Iron hog , ? do you think it picks up Iron to much ? I heard this from someone . just would like your input seeing you have actually used the machine by the way nice merc & ring

It picks up everything fantastically well, big, small and iron included.
I hunted with this thing pretty hot...DE, sense on 85, threshold at -1, 4H tones instead of my usual all metal, and disc was at 1.
By setting the disc this low, I usually set this at 4 or below on most hunts when I am at disc and not in all metal, I hear all the iron grunts and see all the low numbers on my screen as they happen and even though there is a ton of these pretty much all the time, especially when it is set hot and can see the really deep stuff along with the shallow, I have learned to actually enjoy hunting this way and I believe I am much more efficient with all this extra info on what is actually happening down below me.
I listen to the grunts and see all the numbers flashing on the screen and I have learned to categorize them and either ignore them or use them to make digging decisions...they really don't bother me at all even though there are so many of them at most sites.
With my F2 I knocked out iron most of the time, but no way do I wanna to do it this way anymore with the F70 unless I am in some sort of site with a million nails or something crazy like that which is rare for me.
You have much more control over the entire iron spectrum using disc on the F70/F75 platforms so why not use it to your advantage?
The advantage of hunting in all metal or close to it is not only can I tell most pop tops about 95% of the time or even more by watching for that drop to iron numbers which happens most of the time, but I can keep an eye out for some of the more odd numbers...low and high, that might be something good and I wouldn't want to miss.
I have dug a few very thin chains at iron numbers, both silver and gold, really small jewelry like earring studs can easily be picked up by the F70 if you are set up to do that, and I have dug many pocket knives at iron too...and I like finding those.
Also there are other interesting things that come in at iron.

It is not about being an iron hog and bugging and frustrating you with all those extra iron signals, I look at it this way.
The F70 will present you with as much or as little iron data as you want to know about with all the different settings possible, and if you want to know about most of it like I do, it will present it in a no hassle, organized and efficient manner that you can make sense of and understand and use...or learn to as I believe I have.