Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Low Number Nickels

miserman

We are having warm weather for December so I took the F75 back to an 1895 church that I hunted this fall. The temperature was in the mid 40's and the black soil was moist but not muddy. After finding a few Wheats and an Indian Head that were showing low numbers in the upper 50's to mid 60's, I hit the Mercury that gave a nice 74 reading . It was down about 6 inches and had a nice tone even with a piece of foil next to it. Hoping to find a few Nickels, I started digging the low numbers in the area. The 1905 V Nickle was giving numbers between 17 and 27 and I decided to dig it because the depth reading showed 8 inches. I continued hunting these low numbers while keeping an eye on the Depth bar graph. When I came across a reading that bounced around between 17 and 28-29 and showed only 1 bar on the depth graph that's when I would dig the target. I did dig a moderate amount of trash while hunting this way but the ratio of trash to nickle was about 4:1 so the total of four nickels made me feel that the extra digging was worth the effort. None of the nickels ever gave readings that made it into the lower 30's range and I feel that the 7-8 inch depth was the reason for this. The 1921 Canada Dime gave a 67-68 reading even when it was out of the hole.... Thanks for looking.
000_9530.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice older coins there. Good job!

Every deep nickel. 6-8", that I have dug over the years with my 75's have been in the upper 60's to low 70's, almost opposite of what you experienced. My experience has been with nickels, down to about 4" I get pretty accurate readings. Deeper, then the numbers get bouncy and began to up average. Anyway, good hunt. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
Some nice older coins there. Good job!

Every deep nickel. 6-8", that I have dug over the years with my 75's have been in the upper 60's to low 70's, almost opposite of what you experienced. My experience has been with nickels, down to about 4" I get pretty accurate readings. Deeper, then the numbers get bouncy and began to up average. Anyway, good hunt. HH jim tn
jim tn, I was using All Metal Mode. Could that be the reason? Thanks for the response.

I hunt in disc; mode with 0 disc. and I don't think the modes would make a difference. If your nickels were quite worn, that could be the difference perhaps. Any nickels readings I come across slightly lower, though, I am going to dig em for a while. Good luck. HH jim tn