Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lower Rod For Older Explorer Models

jimz49

I have an Explorer II that probably came new with the tan lower rod. When I got it, it had the newer carbon fiber looking black rod that's now standard on the etrac and newer SE explorers. I was recently told that the black rod is designed (shaped) differently than the original and over time will cause the cam lock area to crack (I'm assuming the cam lock that holds the lower rod). I haven't had the opportunity to use the detector yet nor do I know how long its had the black rod installed. So far there are no cracks around the cam lock area. So I'm looking for opinions and experience on this one.

The cam lock area cracking you are referring too was a problem with the upper cam lock for the upper rod on the base of the control housing.
With the early XS they could crack. The original upper rod also had a tendency to work loose. They addressed this by adding a dimple in the upper rod assembly.

Thanks Mike for your reply. I was aware of the camlock cracking that had happened to the early XS models and I asked if that was what he was referring too. Apparently not. He said the older tan lower rods were more rectangular in shape where the new black rods are round. Because of the difference in shape, the upper tan rod of the older models did not grip the black round lower rod as tightly in all directions as it would the tan lower rod. Over time the round rod would move back and forth slightly in the tan upper rod and cause the camlock to crack. I hope I explained this well enough, sorry if there is still some confusion.

Mike, thanks again...I must of got some bad information.

Mine cracked 8years ago and could never get a straight answer from Minelab . I finally used some Gorrila glue and a hose clamp to tighten it up. Been fine ever since.

If the black lower rods do cause the cam lock to crack, then minelab probably is not going to say anything. They did away with the tan lower rods awhile back and only offer the black rods as replacements for both old and new explorers. Admitting the problem exists would put them in a place where they would be liable for repair.

Well, I just got my etrac in the mail today and it appears that the upper rod of the etrac and the upper rod of explorer II are pretty much the same except for the color. Which means the newer black carbon fiber rod should fit in the older tan upper rod without issue. The only question left is are the camlocks different.

You can still get those tan lower rods here in UK , but the black lower stems are the best . Make sure you get the long mans stem so if you are tall you don't have to extend the stem to the end or it wiggles . Cracking of the cam locks was only on the XS type that I know of and doesn't happen on the ET .

I could be wrong, but I believe the Explorer IIs came with the carbon fiber lower rod and a black coil. The early models were all tan.

MR_SG said:
I could be wrong, but I believe the Explorer IIs came with the carbon fiber lower rod and a black coil. The early models were all tan.

That's correct.