Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Lucky Half Cent

miserman

It took over 40 years, but I finally found my first Half Cent yesterday. The site was a circa 1850 one-room schoolhouse field. The 150+years in the ground was not kind to the coin. After getting it home and cleaning it very carefully,I could tell that it was a Classic Head but seeing a date was impossible. Not knowing the date on a dug coin is one thing that always bothers me. After thinking about it for a while and knowing that it could only be one of about 10-11 dates that the Classic Heads were made,I started studying the different types of the coin. I noticed that the 1828 was the only year that had a type with 12 stars instead of 13. the left side of the coin has 7 stars and the right side has 5 stars. Looking closely, the placement of the fifth star is the the giveaway that this coin is the 1828 12 Star Type. I think I got lucky on this one. Any other opinions would be appreciated....Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 003F308B-AD2E-432F-A228-F876E2D4ADE3_1_201_a.jpeg
    003F308B-AD2E-432F-A228-F876E2D4ADE3_1_201_a.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Awesome!!! So your thinking it's rare? Only minted one year? hhricknmi

Nice find and glad you can chalk it off your bucket list. After fifty + years I've given up hopes. Glad you could I d the date. As you know, not rare and being dug, still nice to know the dates of coins. HH jim tn

It took over 40 years, but I finally found my first Half Cent yesterday. The site was a circa 1850 one-room schoolhouse field. The 150+years in the ground was not kind to the coin. After getting it home and cleaning it very carefully,I could tell that it was a Classic Head but seeing a date was impossible. Not knowing the date on a dug coin is one thing that always bothers me. After thinking about it for a while and knowing that it could only be one of about 10-11 dates that the Classic Heads were made,I started studying the different types of the coin. I noticed that the 1828 was the only year that had a type with 12 stars instead of 13. the left side of the coin has 7 stars and the right side has 5 stars. Looking closely, the placement of the fifth star is the the giveaway that this coin is the 1828 12 Star Type. I think I got lucky on this one. Any other opinions would be appreciated....Thanks for looking
✅ that off the list, congrats miserman!

I would have to travel east to find that I have 2 bucket list one that starts with a B and the other that starts with a F that's a F for me . However that's a nice and welcome find .(y) sube

Thats the difference between out west and back east (as we call it), if I were to find something that old its a sure bet Lewis or Clark dropped it!! Good find!

Thats the difference between out west and back east (as we call it), if I were to find something that old its a sure bet Lewis or Clark dropped it!! Good find!
Ronstar, They are scarce here in the midwest also.