Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

M6 depth problem

Gopher

Time to turn to you pros for help. I don't seem to get much depth with my M6 so I buried a clad quarter laying flat at 5" deep (measured it with a tape and straightedge across the top of the hole). With 6x10 Eclipse coil, disc. at zero , sens. at 90 I ground balanced over clean ground and locked it and my M6 didn't know the quarter was there. Took the quarter out of the hole, laid it on the ground and swept over it and got a repeatable signal with a 1/4 bar and 25 cent ID at 7". Any higher with the coil and the signal faded away. I would think it would have seen the coin at 5" even if it was just freshly buried. Is it me or does my machine need a tuneup? Maybe I need the tuneup!
Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gopher

With the 5x10 DD coil you should be able to run the M6 close to max sensitivity. I run mine at 2+ with the 5x10 DD and that really adds depth then running it at just 90.

Second problem can be a larger piece of iron close to the buried coil that masks the target. Do you have metal on or in your shoes ? Hoe did you know you Gbed over clean ground ? Did you scan the place with 0 disc ? Even a fresh buried quarter should come it at 7"+ .

hh,
Andy,NM

That's an interesting observation. Many factors can affect depth. I have owned several different detectors and its hard to determine which was the deepest. I'll use my limited knowledge and try to answer this question. DD coils generally are not as deep as concentrics in low mineralized soil. The stock coil might be deeper. I'm a M6/Mxt user, I always run my at maximum sensit. and no disc. especially for my 5" and 8" excelerators and bigfoot and 8 by 14" coils. If it's get chatty or unstable I back off alittle. You need to find what works for you and experiment. depth is probably overrated. Most good targets are 2 to 4". I would try airtest and repeat the ground test with a older silver quarter., and nichel. I doubt there's anything wrong with your unit. Generally smaller coils will seem to go deeper, they see less targets and have great seperation. NASA tom has a free book out from the old fisher company thats helpful. Also try and ground balance and place in the lock position and sweep at different speeds. Also the freq of the machine will play part in this lower freq might go deeper. Good luck.

Question #1... Did you fill in the hole after you placed the 25

Wow, now that's what I call an answer Monte. Thanks to you, Andy and Robocoin. You've given me alot to think about and try. I'll put the stock coil back on and see what happens. Maybe even buy a 5.3. People seem to feel that a 5.3 on the M6 is a good combination. Anyway, thanks so much for all the info. I'm not giving up easy.
Gopher