Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

M6 tracking

donl98632

I know that the M6 is based on the MXT design, yet the manual on the MXT says you can switch from trac lock to trac on and it will update the tracking. But the M6 manual says that the M6 does not update tracking that way. Any M6 users that can verify, or contradict this?

The mxt has an extra feature called ground grab.If using the mxt in a ground track mode you can press ground grab and it will temporarily disable the tracking feature....useful if you are taking time to accurately check a target by continually sweeping the coil over it without the possibility of the machine tracking out the signal.
If using the mxt in ground lock mode,by pressing the grab button the mxt will update the lock mode to the ground the coil is sweeping over.For example,if you ground balance the machine and lock that setting at the start of your hunt and then find the machine starts to chatter,you may have walked into an area with different types of mineralisation.Instead of having to re balance the machine and lock the setting in again you can just press ground grab and this will automatically do it for you.
The M6 has both ground tracking and lock which works exactly the same as the tracking system on the mxt but it does not have the ground grab function.You can either leave it in trac mode or ground balance and lock in the setting.So if using in lock mode and you find the machine starts to get a little unstable you will have to do the ground balance procedure again rarther than pressing a button and have the machine update the setting for you.

Hi Don, I have the first of the MXTs that came out, not the PRO. It has only the lock that the M6 has. I find that if i need to re ground balance, just flip the ground lock back to track and just a few sweeps and put it back in lock, It is almost as ease as ground grab. I love my MXT and the M6 is just like it only no prospect mode. Good luck Flintstone

The difference is the benefit of the additional Ground Grab touchpad on the MXT Pro. This eliminates the need to pause, reach-over and toggle back and forth with the control-mounted Track/Lock toggle.

With the original MXT and the M6, you can adjust a Ground Balance and 'Lock' the setting.

The detectors are still 'tracking' or 'reading' the ground mineral changes, just not updating the GB setting because the 'Lock' position has it held.

If using the M6 or MXT, or even the MXT Pro in the Locked GB setting, and you determine the GB setting might be 'off' due to a change in the ground mineral make-up from where you initially balanced and locked it, you can sweep the coil over a clean (metal-free) spot of ground, pause and hold the coil motionless on the ground, reach over and move the toggle from 'Lock' to the Ground Track position, then back to 'Lock' and it will update the set GB with what the tracking had determined.

If you are right-handed this can be a pain to reach over and tinker with the toggle, but it's doable.

The MXT Pro, however, features the Ground Grab touchpad which serves two purposes, as Nauti Neil mentioned.

1.. If you ARE in the Ground Tracking toggle setting and want t hold momentarily hold or lock the GB and halt the Auto-Trac update, just press and hold the GG touch-pad.

2.. If you are in he 'Lock' setting, you can simply sweep over the ground, pause, and press the GG touch=pad and it's updated, or you can press the GG touch-pad and bob the search coil from 6" to the ground a few times and get a proper GB.

The M6 does the same thing the standard MXT does, you just have to manipulate the GB toggle. I haven't used the M6 as much since I switched from the M6 & MXT to just the MXT Pro, but I will double check and verify this today just to be sure I haven't erred.

Remember, too, that the M6 was intended to be a simplified model with MXT performance, but intended for many Coin Hunters who like 'simple.' It might be that it was easy to simple eliminate having the tracking and updating information in the simplified M6 manual. :shrug:

Monte

Thanks for the responses, I was thrown off by the descriptions in the standard MXT manual verses the M6 manual.

The M6 manual says "Lock position monitors, but does not track to changing ground conditions. Update by pumping coil over clean ground.

The standard MXT manual says the same, except that it says switching to trac on updates to ground setting are almost instantaneous.

If I understand right, it would seem that the M6 would do the same without doing a new ground balance, just switch momentarily to trac on?