Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

m6 vs mx5

robo

Question.
Have a M6 and really like it a lot.Thinking of parting with a detector to pick up a mx5.
Any significant advantage I will gain by adding the 5 to my stable? Does the mx5 get
a little more depth than the m6?
Any better target seperation? Really like the build and quality of the Whites line.
Honest opinions welcome.
Sure would like to hear pluses and minuses vs the two.

I'm betting Monte is the guy who could give you the nitty-gritty on this particular comparison. He may have already discussed in one of his many forum posts over the years - try a Google search of "Monte", "MX5" and "M6". If not, he plays on this forum and could be reached with a PM.

-pete

Maybe Monte will see this and chime in......he's on a family vacation at the moment. Also here is a link to an earlier thread you can read.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?31,2171766

And I'm sure Hombre might have a few things to say :) He loves his MX5.

I use/used a M6 for quite some time hunting ghost towns and it proved to be a very good machine, it has done me well. As far as the MX5 vs M6, both are great machines and to answer one of your questions, Monte and I compared the MX5 and M6 both using a eclipse 5.3 coil and the MX5 would get better depth by an inch or two on a target. The m6 has a varible disc and ability to lock the GB and no backlight. The MX5 has notch and not able to lock GB , has a backlight and volume control. M6 has headphone jack where it is suppose to be on the rear of the battery housing. MX5 has it coming out of the back of TID display. :thumbdown:

My 2 cents. I use to own both. In my ground , they are both equal in depth. The mx5 has the volume control and the backlight which i liked but other than that , nothing else. The m6 has better audio, the variable disc in my opinion is better than the notch and the m6 feels more solid then the mx5. Plus I can use my hp 3100 on my other White's machine. M-6 has been around for a while now and the reason I keep it is because it will find the keepers if the coil goes over them. M6 and 6x10 deadly combo . Found gold this morning plus a bunch of change. H H.

robo Comment said:
Have a M6 and really like it a lot.Thinking of parting with a detector to pick up a mx5.
What would you part with to get an MX5?

What types of hunting do you do [size=small](City Coin Hunting or more Relic-type Hunting)[/size]?

Which search coil do you use most often on the M6 and what is the 2nd most used coil?

robo Question #1 said:
Any significant advantage I will gain by adding the 5 to my stable?
I don't know about 'significant,' but the MX5 does provide these differences in its favor, at least to some.:

• An All Metal search mode.
• Threshold adjustment
• Target Volume adjustment.
• Backlighted Display
• Segmented Discrimination
• A 2-Tone Audio for ferrous and non-ferrous
• An 8-Tone audio ID compared with the M6's 7-Tone audio ID

To many people, some or all of those can be a 'significant' advantage. There are, however, some differences that still make the M6 a better choice, at least for many of us. Now, I do like the MX5 and I see it replacing the M6 down the road, and that's because I like the 'physical package' [size=small](except for the headphone jack location)[/size], I like the Backlight, and I really like the 2-Tone ID audio. I also like having a Threshold and Target Volume adjustment.

But I do prefer the M6's variable Discrimination to the segmented design, and I like the M6's overall audio and performance because it is a little less 'digital' than the MX5. I especially DO like the M6's rear-positioned Headphone jack and I DO NOT like the awkward location used on the MX5. The primary advantage, for me, with the M6 is that it allows me to 'Lock' the GB and not let it try to Auto-Trac in the dense iron trash environments I usually seek out to search.

robo Question #2 said:
Does the mx5 get a little more depth than the m6?
At the lowest Sensitivity settings, yes, the MX5 displays slightly more depth. When both are set to their maximum Sensitivity settings, I would say they are very close with a slight edge being in favor of the MX5, but it is slight.

robo Question #3 said:
Any better target seperation?
No, not really. Both are very good, but in a dense iron littered site, the advantage goes to the M6, from what I noticed, because the MX5's constant Auto-Trac circuitry can be messing things up a little.

robo Comment said:
Really like the build and quality of the Whites line.
Honest opinions welcome.
Sure would like to hear pluses and minuses vs the two
White's does have very good build quality, and both the M6 and MX5 are very good detectors. I feel it will be more of a personal choice decision.

For urban Coin Hunting I would grab the MX5 of the two, but for serious ghost towns hunting, the M6 would get the nod. To be very honest, however, rather than one or the other, I prefer the MXT Pro for more operator control and versatility, if I was looking for a current White's offering..

Monte

I love music. On the MX5, I know that beebeeboodleyboobooboodleybeebee is usually a coin spill.! Yesterday I found an old lock key that was boodleyboodley!!!:rofl:

White's Pro Star's are my primary-use headphone because they fit nicely and have an okay audio response. The 'tank-style' ear cups are very comfortable.

My 'back-up' headphones are my Killer B II and Killer B 'Wasp', both of which have excellent audio and fit OK, but not as comfortable as the Pro Stars due to the ear cup used.

Monte

I just got a set of the Pro-Stars, they are the best headphone I have used. I have hearing aids in each ear and all the other phones hurt my ears. The Whites is big enough to cover my ears and not bend them and make them hurt. I don,t think I will ever use another pare. These are good for life.

I recently purchased a MX5 and compared it to my M6 with the stock 9 inch concentric coil that came on the MX5 and with the sensitivity to the levels that I would normally run both machines. First of all, these are only airtests so I really haven't had enough time with the MX5 to know how they will compare in the dirt. I know airtests are not generally the best way to measure the depth of detectors but that's all I got right now. My M6 actually was a little better when it came to displaying a diggable ID on each coin tested. If going by sound only the MX5 and the M6 were pretty even as far as depth goes. I bought the MX5 mainly because it has a backlight and 8 tone ID. I don't see it replacing my M6 in my normal day to day hunting but I am sure I will use the MX5 late evening or in more inclimate weather. Since I had the M6 placed on the MXT type upper rod it has easily become my favorite detector that I have had. I like the headphone jack placement better than the MX5 and I like the more analog type tones vs the more digital ones. Both detectors are very good performers and easy to use. It is mainly a personal preference but the M6 is still got the upper hand in my book.

How did you do the upper handle change on the M6. I would like to do that too. Will Whites do the mod?

dirtmaster said:
How did you do the upper handle change on the M6. I would like to do that too. Will Whites do the mod?

They did mine in Oregon because due to my RA the regular setup was painful for me to swing. It made all the difference in the world and I believe the M6 on the MXT style upper handle is my favorite machine that I have ever used.

I've had both, I sold the M6 and now have the MX5, I didn't notice a difference in depth. I think the MX is more fun to use as there's more to fiddle with not to mention the cool light.
Its's also easier to swing. To me the M6 was like an old friend always ready to go but like most here we want something new. The notch feature is a nice addition on the MX.
If you don't like it you can always sell it.
HH