Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ma and Fred Barker gunned down by FBI ending the longest FBI shootout ever

This is only a couple miles from me :D,wish I were there too see it go down :shrug:

[attachment 189147 MaandFredBarker.jpg]

OCKLAWAHA - It was Jan. 16, 1935 when "Ma" Barker and her son Fred were gunned down here in a home on Lake Weir, ending the longest FBI shootout ever and launching a legend in the community that has survived for generations.

Arizona Donnie "Kate" Barker was believed to be the leader of the 25-member Karpis-Barker gang responsible for three kidnappings, 10 murders and thefts of more than $1 million during a three-year rampage, primarily in the Midwest, that began in 1932.

A Florida map with Lake Weir circled on it was found during a Chicago raid of gang members, leading federal agents to Ocklawaha in January 1935.

When agents with the Department of Justice, now called the Federal Bureau of Investigation, arrived at the Ocklawaha rental home that morning, 63-year-old Ma opened the front door.

Seconds later, 32-year-old Fred walked onto the porch and unloaded a volley of machine gun bullets on the government agents. For the next four or five hours, the two sides exchanged gunfire almost continuously.

Finally, at noon, about an hour after the shooting from inside the home stopped, agents sent Willie Woodberry - an African American who had been hired by the Barkers to cook - into the home.

As Woodberry walked onto the porch, he yelled, "It's me Ma, don't shoot." Woodberry found Ma and Fred dead. In 1985, Woodberry, then 78, recalled of Ma Barker, "She was the boss."

The house was riddled with nearly 3,500 bullets druing the shootout. Afterwards, federal agents found machine guns, rifles, pistols and $14,293 in cash. The Barkers' bodies were taken to Pyles Funeral Home in Ocala by undertaker Harold Martin and his assistant, F.L. McGehee, the father of former Ocala police chief Lee McGehee.

The guys slowed down in Louisville and told them to git out... Later, dad said he looked just like that guy from Chicago..Baby face Nelson . Family lore,,but who knows. but they weren't the average citizen with guns like that.. Well ,,maybe, with the excepton of Brian..

Those old stories were always interesting, My Mom grew up with Bonnie and Clyde, she new the whole gang . When I was a kid we would drive by a place and say that's where Bonnie lived or that was where Clyde's Daddy had his store,we even went to a cafe to eat where Blanch worked after the shoot out. also the whole Barrow family was buried at the end our street.used to play play there as a kid.