Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mad Anthony Wayne Camped in Ohio 1794

gare-oh

Does anyone have any idea what this could be. Me and a buddy was detecting where in 1794 Mad Anthony Wayne camped in southern Ohio Carroll county. Today we met one land owner and talked to him for a while. He gave up permission to hunt his property any time we wanted to. I think the spring would be much better because of all the tall weeds and brush. While we was talking to him he showed and gave me a object and did not know what it was. Three or four years ago he had part of a hill dug away so he could have a hut type storage building built. When they dug the hill away and the bottom of the hill they uncovered this brass or bronze type item. It is about 12 inches long 2 1/4 inches wide and 1 1.2 inch thick. the center type in kind of concave as to hold something. In the picture with the Blue x and there shed level it was found next to the corner spot where the shed corner is. As you can see it was quite deep in the earth. When they dug the dirt they uncovered the item.

This item also weighs about 4 1/4 pounds (69.3 ounces) when they dug the hill away in 2015 it was found by the construction crew. It was about 4 to 5 foot deep in the hillside. I myself am thinking it is some part of a carriage for either a wagon or cannon carriage. I have tried looking up carriage and cannon parts. not much luck. The one side has like a bench mark stamped on it.

Attachments

• InkedIMG-4595_LIRedone.jpg
    InkedIMG-4595_LIRedone.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG-4590.jpg
    IMG-4590.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG-4592.jpg
    IMG-4592.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG-4594.jpg
    IMG-4594.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG-4603Concave.jpg
    IMG-4603Concave.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 241
Due to the color of the metal (patina) it looks like bronze. Maybe it's part of a small barrel tube cut lengthwise ...
Only with those few photos I can not distinguish.

Laplander I also thank you for your reply. Because it was found in an area where Wayne had camped i had ASSUMED it was from them. You brought to my attention it could have been dropped there later. The house was built around 1855. So who knows when it was put there. They did say it was found 3 to 4 foot under the hill side. Laplander do youy have any pictures of the ones it could be or you have found ?

Based solely on the last photo Im putting money on its a pill crusher!!! Lol

Draco : First thank you for your reply !1 What kind of photos do you need. I have the item here with me .
I need a close-up photo of the areas marked with the arrow

Attachments

• InkedIMG-4594_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-4594_LI.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 156
  • InkedIMG-4592_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-4592_LI.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 167
new1.jpg

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 156
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • new5.jpg
    new5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
It's not what I thought. For now, I rule out that it is part of a cannon.
What I pointed out in the previous photos, I thought it would be this kind of border that I indicate with this new photo. Obviously, the barrel would be too chopped up to get to the chunk it currently has.

Attachments

• Inkedcañones-de-bronce-antiguos-en-museo-de-la-artillería-en-día-soleado-del-verano-60061636_LI.jpg
    Inkedcañones-de-bronce-antiguos-en-museo-de-la-artillería-en-día-soleado-del-verano-60061636_LI.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 173
Laplander I also thank you for your reply. Because it was found in an area where Wayne had camped i had ASSUMED it was from them. You brought to my attention it could have been dropped there later. The house was built around 1855. So who knows when it was put there. They did say it was found 3 to 4 foot under the hill side. Laplander do youy have any pictures of the ones it could be or you have found ?
Sorry I just sold my scrap brass 675 dollars worth a few months ago. Look for rotational marks where the axle would wear on the inside ?

There are no rotational marks what so ever. Some thoughts are it may have been a spare new one ? My original thought was it may have been a bed on the carriage to lay a barrel length wise on a carriage ? I do believe the one mark on the side is a makers mark.

Attachments

• IMG-4601.jpg
    IMG-4601.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
Interesting find, though I don't know what it is. The title of your posting caught my eye, though, since I was fortunate to find a pewter "Frog-Legged Eagle" button from one of Wayne's troops, in poor condition but you can still see the eagle, which is the icon I chose. Gen. Wayne set up the Legionville training camp near Ambridge, PA, and I found this button due east of there, north of Pittsburgh, near a long-gone (probably log structure) tavern site I discovered that there's barely any reference to online and doesn't show up on any old maps. I've always been interested because I grew up in NW Ohio maybe 40 miles from the 1794 Fallen Timbers battle site. Let us know if you find anything interesting on that camp site, and keep your eye out for any pewter buttons - they're usually very fragile.

Interesting find, though I don't know what it is. The title of your posting caught my eye, though, since I was fortunate to find a pewter "Frog-Legged Eagle" button from one of Wayne's troops, in poor condition but you can still see the eagle, which is the icon I chose. Gen. Wayne set up the Legionville training camp near Ambridge, PA, and I found this button due east of there, north of Pittsburgh, near a long-gone (probably log structure) tavern site I discovered that there's barely any reference to online and doesn't show up on any old maps. I've always been interested because I grew up in NW Ohio maybe 40 miles from the 1794 Fallen Timbers battle site. Let us know if you find anything interesting on that camp site, and keep your eye out for any pewter buttons - they're usually very fragile.
Thank you very much for your input :)

Just found this site, pretty cool. I grew up in Defiance, Ohio 1967-1985. I found a cannon in 1976, along with remnants of a flint lock rifle and colt revolver around our house on the North High bank of the Maumee River. In 1980 I got a chance to participate in an Archeologicla Dig at Ft Defiance site, as my parents knew Dr. Boehm and Dr. Buchman - lead Archeologists. I go to run the sifter, and found a few Frog Eagle buttons to.