Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Made in USA White's XL Pro VS Chinese Version..

karelian

Browsing through a Sunday market I came upon a metal detector that resembled the legendary White's XL PRO. For $50 I walked away with it, intrigued by the obvious design influences.
The detector has no markings or brand identity so I just call it the Chinese version.. It operates on eight aa cells, 12v battery tray very similar to White's machines, it has a 9.5 coil with that donut look. Performance varies, it can pick up a US Quarter at ten inches in the air and about seven inches in the ground. The threshold is very unsteady and needs a retune every few seconds. It overloads on even low sensitivity. I'll be kind and say it is unstable and needs constant settling down. Disc works to a point, again a bit unreliable, the meter works but can be a bit unreliable. Overall the machine works, but operation is clumsy and awkward at best. Heavy with solid construction it is let down by poor reliability and unsteady operation. I should add that if the Chinese machine had a steady threshold, some kind a SAT, it would be a huge improvement. The need to pull the trigger every few seconds to reset the threshold makes things difficult. Main criticism is that the machine is unstable, even running on pre set settings or lowering the sensitivity it is still plagued by instability.. very frustrating.

In contrast the Whites is smooth and steady. Reliable in all modes and a delight to use. When directly comparing the two the White's is a class act whilst I'll be kind and only say the Chinese machine is a poor imitation. Karelian

When comparing machines one of the things that stands out is that White's machines have excellent build quality. They are built to last and I have not really had any issues with their detectors. I don't collect metal detectors, what I have is used by me, my family and friends. Except the XL PRO which I reserve for myself, no exceptions.. There is something to be said for dials and switches, they are intuitive and adjustments are fast. These 'classic' White's don't have the touch pad controls, perhaps are a bit weighty in comparison to more modern rivals etc but I like them. That Made In America decal stands for quality and reliability. Things I value and am happy to pay for.
All the best,
Karelian

They are not meant to be a professional detector, or really work well. Just a cheap knock-off to make some quick bucks from the beginner or novice who don't know any better. Or aimed at those who can't resist taking a gamble on it being any good. If you look closely. they borrowed the arm cuff and handle from Garretts and the polo coil from Tesoro etc................

The Chinese machine has a nice metal housing, workable battery tray/system. All can be salvaged and used for parts, possibly if building a Mirage Pi... or some other kit.. Karelian

karelian said:
The Chinese machine has a nice metal housing, workable battery tray/system. All can be salvaged and used for parts, possibly if building a Mirage Pi... or some other kit.. Karelian

LOL, that has been my thought a few years ago, and still the first thing I thought of today when reading this thread. But, I think the price was always more than getting a metal box off ebay $23.00 and the White's Space Saver 3 pc. handle, middle rod and lower rod $3995 then, now $49.00. Now if I could find one cheap, this China detector would be a good option for parts.
I actually liked the feel of an older Garrett Ace handle and armrest, housed a Mirage in the control box.

Or are you taking someones word on the depth figures you quoted?
If you get one with the expectation of hunting its status will change to parts salvage, because sooner or later it will break and its doubtful anyone will work on it.
Regardless, going from a Whites to it will be a disappointment, the quality is simply not there; its poorly made from the get go; resonance match between the oscillator and loop would not be good,
and them building a loop from looking at another (and understanding little about how critical the layout is in getting a null) is monkey-see monkey do. Check the link below from George Payne* on JB's old site
as it contains info on loops too and other things.
(Look on youtube at people that have been swindled on Chinese fakes; as most get wrapped around trees at some point, I suspect you could buy the carcass for much cheaper than the cost of this thing.
There was even a guy here from China that once advertised a water unit that turned out to be an illegal copy of a T-2; performance was.....limited.)
Sven you have built loops and know what I mean.
*https://www.findmall.com/read.php?56,2362195

I've had the machine for over a year, used it on numerous trips. Always unstable and a pain to use, but for $50 I'm not complaining. It is a curiosity and nothing more. No way would I spend real money on something like this, a Sunday market curio.. Depth quoted, 10 inches in the air and seven in the ground on a US quarter are spot on. I've been swinging a detector since I was fifteen, started with a Judge 2, followed with a Garrett A2B. Now wrong side of fifty but still going strong. Any depth or performance figured quoted are what I experienced using the machine.. so YES I have used the machine and the depth figures are accurate. Depending on the ground depth can be more or less, but not much more.. even in ideal circumstances.
Good for parts, absolutely and part of my thinking when I handed over the money for it. Ground balance control works, disc etc, main fault is instability.. not lack of depth. No real comparison with the Whites detectors I own which all outperform it by a significant margin in every way.
All the best, Karelian

I used to have one of those. It's not an XL Pro copy but, as I recall, has something akin to a Classic circuit in it. The box on mine was stamped steel instead of aluminum, making it even heavier than the White's.

The Chinese are masters at making things look like something they are not... if you could buy it with $50 of Monopoly money it would be a fair deal lol..