Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Magnet Stick

Scanman

Howdy, just sharing my Magnet Stick

Magnet http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC8

3/4 PVC 16"
3/4 End Caps (2)
1/4 Eye Bolt
Liquid Nails

And you made this to ??? pick up nails?

These can be a real benefit metal detecting. I made a couple of these for me and my brother and just the other day we were out and when we would have trouble finding the target after we dug the hole we could stir the lose dirt and find stuff that was setting off the pin pointer that the magnet would pick up. Some of the stuff we couldn't figure out why the metal detector was even hitting on it with the disc set so high and it being some sort of small iron, clean sweep it with a magnet and presto! out it comes.

People also use them for an early meteorite test.

A magnet has its place in certain types of detecting and in some areas were smaller iron trash has rusted and is now in even smaller pieces, just use the magnet and find all of the pieces, without finding one piece and then check the dirt to find its still hot, then stir and find a couple more piece of it, the magnet can make short order of this for sure.

Mark

I just glue a magnet on the end of my digging tool.

I did that once and made it into a real obnoxiuos tool. Magnet stuck to everything ---belt buckle , holder loop , detector housing , side of the truck , zipper-------- :(
I found the simplest and most compact solution if you want to pack a magnet was to get an aluminum cigar tube and put a cow magnet inside it. When you want to discard the iron object just tip the tube so the magnet can slide to the other end then put it back in your shirt pocket :)

This is a picture of a cow Magnet.
From what I have been told is they put one of these down a cows throat and it will catch all the metal that a cow might swallow like small pieces of wire from the hay bales or small nails and what not.

Tom Slick said:
And you made this to ??? pick up nails?

No, its just another tool to aid in the quick recovery of an item. It only takes a second to probe the dig site.

Tom Slick said:
I just glue a magnet on the end of my digging tool.

When I was hunting in AZ, I used a hand pick that had a magnet on end of handle. My hand pick does not get much use in MI, and my primary digging tools are a Lesche and its big brother Sampson.

It maybe possible to magnetize a Lesche?, but I like my stick.

Which digging tool do you use with a magnet on the end?

sprchng said:
I did that once and made it into a real obnoxiuos tool. Magnet stuck to everything ---belt buckle , holder loop , detector housing , side of the truck , zipper-------- :(
I found the simplest and most compact solution if you want to pack a magnet was to get an aluminum cigar tube and put a cow magnet inside it. When you want to discard the iron object just tip the tube so the magnet can slide to the other end then put it back in your shirt pocket :)

Mine hangs from my belt and occasionally gets stuck on my Sampson. I also use it to clear out a trashy area, and with my loose sandy soil conditions its quite handy for me. YMMV

Okay, after a couple of decent attempts at making a magnet stick I gave in and opted for your idea. A couple of design changes in mine, probably not better, but hopefully it will work good.
The recipe,
A 7" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe (hot water pipe)
One 1/2" collar,
One 1/2" cap,
Two 1/2" dia X 1/4" thick rare earth magnets from fleabay (6 for $10.00 shipped)
Another really short piece of the pipe for a little stem for the cap.

I had to rim out the end of the pipe a little for the magnets to fit in. The magnets still fit pretty tight, I put a little super glue jel around the edge of the pipe in front of the magnets and seated them flush with the pipe. (I didn't put a cap on the magnet end, I didn't want the double wall on the side around the magnets)

The other end (the handle) is made of the collar, short stem and the cap. For a holder I just made a loop out of a medium size nylon tie.
I made three of these, one for each of my brothers (two magnets each)

Thanks for the idea!

Mark

I like it, Mark.
Tell us how it works after you get a chance to use it. I need to make one of those myself but I'm thinking of just putting one in the handle of my scoop.

HH
Mike

Mark, your M stick came out awesome, and its a nice fit on your belt.

Mine has proven to be a real time saver in my loose soil. Before I had my M stick, when I detected a target, I would set my detector down, pull out my knee pad, Lesche and proceed to dig out my target. Now its the first tool I grab, with its length and my loose soil, I can many times save that step entirely.
As handy as I found mine, I am surprised they are not available commercially?

I took the cheap ($10) and easy way out; picked up one of these from HomeDepot... You can find them at any hardware store. Great for raking over iron infested areas.

Magnetic Pick Up Tool

Explorer said:
I took the cheap ($10) and easy way out; picked up one of these from HomeDepot... You can find them at any hardware store. Great for raking over iron infested areas.

Magnetic Pick Up Tool

I had a site I wanted to hunt and a magnet like that would work well there.
But, the idea of the magnet stick was to help clear ground cover but rather to help get things out of a small dig (a small hole) it can help get hot rocks out of the way, or small rusty broken pieces of nails. I'll found in most places I know need it, but in other it really helped.
As for as cheap,
The first two I made cost about a dollar for a magnet from Harbor Freight. It worked great, but it didn't pack very well and wasn't as clean of a design as the PVC stick.
But, the later version still had a very low cost factor, I had the pipe, my neighbor gave me three of the caps, the magnets were the big cost in that I paid $10.00 for six of them, but! I made three of the magnet sticks for the same $10.00 I gave one to each of my two brothers, so cost per was pretty low.

The new "M" sticks packs very well,
Its very light,
It takes up very little room on my belt, so I can keep it on me all the time while I'm detecting.

That large area magnet would be great to use around a site were a house of building had been torn down, it would for sure help clear the area of surface Iron!
Mark

Until I used one of Mark's magnet sticks I didn't think I needed anything like that. But the first time out with it we were cleaning a small area and getting lots of small rusty stuff coming up. After trying my old way of taking hand fulls of dirt and going through it just to find that the item had got lose and was now back in the hole. Pulled out the magnet and pushed it around in the dirt and there it was, worked really slick.

Mark gave me one each of the first design and the new, I haven't been out since I got the new one but the old one worked pretty good. Now I need to get keys off the new one and it will be ready to go.:lol:

Ron in WV