Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

magnifying lamp

klever

Looking for recommendations for a good magnifying lamp. Coins are getting a little tougher reading the dates. I have used some hand loupes and really do not like. Appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advance

None in mind BUT if you can find a real glass one its worth the extra $$$. I use a glass hand lens
from the 50's & its still like new. Any plastic would have been junk years age.......
good luck es HH

Tom
LFOD !

The absolute best [size=x-small](overkill)[/size] solution for this imo is a 5MP Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope Pro- runs about $85 delivered, but is waaaay more magnification than youll ever need. You are tethered to a computer tho if that's a problem.

2l8yhdi.jpg
(( be sure to supersize the pic to get an idea of the resolution capability. ))

For field use, I still have my old school oversized 10x handlens around my neck. Remember the proper use of a handlens/loupe: place the handlens at your eye and then move the object closer until you can read the date.

I use a soldiering magnify lense with light from harbor freight cheep put right on my bench and work's great!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Think I will look at the harbor freight one first and if that does not do the trick I will go for the Mega power :)

Champ Ferguson said:
The absolute best (overkill) solution for this imo is a 5MP Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope Pro- runs about $85 delivered, but is waaaay more magnification than youll ever need. You are tethered to a computer tho if that's a problem.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2l8yhdi.jpg (( be sure to supersize the pic to get an idea of the resolution capability. ))

For field use, I still have my old school oversized 10x handlens around my neck. Remember the proper use of a handlens/loupe: place the handlens at your eye and then move the object closer until you can read the date.

I second the Celestron. Does a great job and you can take pics of the coins as well for future reference. A good desktop magnifier will run you 50 to 75 bucks and you won't have near the magnification.