Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maiden voyage of the MK on the beach

therover

Took the MK on it's maiden voyage to 2 NJ beaches. The first beach I hunted the wet sand and suds since this beach is known to have some good targets at low tide. This beach is also loaded with hot rocks and the picture has 2 of them shown. These 'rocks' can be the size of a dime (sometimes smaller) or fairly big...palm sized. They sound off as mostly a faint high tone at the first pass of the coil, but are broken up and ID all over the map once you isolate them under the coil. Once you get an idea of how they sound, it's pretty safe to ignore them. But they do sound off and today it was pretty frequent in some spots. Early on I dug a few because I needed to know how the MK reacted to them and ID them. Right off the bat it ID's as a 96-97 but the second pass of the coil will show a drop in the ID and a scratchy, broken sound as you continue to sweep. No mistaking these for coins or silver. They do not ID as a low conductor. These so called 'rocks' give higher frequency units a run for their money. I did not try to GB them out...they were easy to determine after about 3-4 minutes. I purposely picked this beach to see how the MK would perform there.

Beach 1 I hunted the entire time in Beach Mode, gain about 84-85 range. There weren't many targets. Found a few of the rocks to start, then a few greenie quarters, beat up penny and the chain. It's rusted up so no clue what it's make up is. I have the find on video. I was right next to a piece of shallow aluminum. So not sure if that was a spot that was gathering targets. There was nothing else there after those 2 targets were dug up.

Beach 2 is a different animal. Never had much luck in the wet sand...it's the dry sand that gives up the goods. I mainly hunted in 2 or 3 tone, gain again 84-85 range. Started off in 5kHz and found the cross in that frequency among all those nails. What are the odds of finding a cross on Easter ? The area I was working most of the time was covered with the nails in the picture. None of those nails were dug...they were laying on top of the sand. There are dozens of them all over and I am sure there are a lot more under the sand. I picked up 6 but could not clean the beach of them all.

Was in the dig all but ferrous mode to start and 5kHz was getting fooled a bit by the iron ( the rusty bottle cap was in 5kHz). Switched to 14kHz and the iron pops and high tone flashes subsided dramatically. Was in the mood to see if I could pop some small items and possibly gold so I switched to 19kHz and the foil/tabs/small stuff started coming through very easily among all that iron garbage. I found the end of a small fuse with some of the glass still attached so the MK can sniff out the small stuff in rusty iron areas.

I re-grounded a few times in the dry sand and there were times when 2 and 3 tone did not give me the beep when Gbing...so I switched over to Gen Mode, did a GB and switched back to 2 or 3 tone.Everything seemed to work just fine. The Gb I believe was in the 80's in the dry....40's in the wet.

I tried my attempt to video the hunt...was more of a hinderance. I like using headphones when I beach hunt and I had to keep taking them off to video so the camera could pick up the sound. The wireless headphones are very nice, but I need the headphone adapter. I like wearing my good headphones that keep out the wind and other noises. It was a bit windy out there. I could still hear all the sounds just fine and will probably wear the wireless for now. But when the Fall and Winter come....it's the heavy duty phones for me.

I really liked the way the MK performed today in the dry and wet sand. I like the audio a lot, it's easy to swing, easy to see the target ID and easy to navigate (once you get the hang of it, just like all detectors). Wireless has no lag. Great recovery speed in that patch of sand with all those rusty nails and it unmasked a lot of low conductive targets...some of them really small.

Its a keeper for sure.

great report hope you can get back there soon

Interesting report. I am in North Carolina, trying my Kruzer on a saltwater beach for the first time and could not get it to GB in beach mode. I tried multiple times in numerous spots, but no go. When I pumped the coil, the tone rose dramatically whenever it got close to the sand. I don't know what else to try. Any advice?

I had the same issue yesterday and ended up ground balancing in Gen Mode and switching. Guidance from a forum member stated that's not really how it should be done, and to go to the Makro site and update the unit.

I did today. Took it out back in my yard and it ground balanced in all the modes just fine.

Below there is a link to a YouTube video on how to do the update. It's pretty simple.

therover said:
I had the same issue yesterday and ended up ground balancing in Gen Mode and switching. Guidance from a forum member stated that's not really how it should be done, and to go to the Makro site and update the unit.

I did today. Took it out back in my yard and it ground balanced in all the modes just fine.

Below there is a link to a YouTube video on how to do the update. It's pretty simple.
I updated my Kruzer already.

the rover,
Jim here....We talked a few years back about our CZ6’s......I to beach hunt, but north of you.....Isn’t there a better mode than beach mode to use in the dry sand with the MK ? Are you hitting a lot of black sand by you ? I’m going back and forth wanting to get either the MK or the Eq .....Let us know If you can GB on the beach now with the update......
Thanks,Jim

Jim,

When I went up into the dry sand I went into 3 tone and started out in 5kHz....that's the mode I was in when I found the cross. Then I hit a patch with all those nails. When I dug the rusty bottle cap that sounded pretty good in 5kHz (again, first time using the machine so I am sure after time running in that freq, I will be able to tell them from silver quarters/bigger silver better....the rusty cap ID'd at 96-97 and it was not too deep so I can see how the MK would get fooled in 5kHz....but to be fair, I swung over it only once or twice and did not give it the full go in terms of swinging at different angles and listening more...heck, it's the beach...just easier to scoop it up and see what it is). I then switched over the to 19kHz and the iron and rusty junk sounds much 'worse' in that mode and hence I didn't dig much if any rusty caps or bigger iron in that mode. I also started picking up smaller foil/aluminum targets which was a very good sign....especially in that iron laden patch of sand.

I started looking for silver coins first, that's why I was in 5kHz to start.

No black sand but the first beach I hit, the 'hot rocks' are all over it. The MK still hunted great in both spots.

As far as the MK vs NOX goes. Having seen the NOX 800 in action (my hunting partner has one), I know that unit is a good one too. For me, the MK has the audio that meshes with my ear better. Also in my opinion, and much better build quality. I like the tones of the MK as well as the rod configuration, the ease of use navigating and how the tone breaks and iron tone can be set up.

I don't think you would go wrong with either. I am going back to that spot on Thursday and will perform ground balancing in all modes in both the dry and wet sand and report back. My hunting partner is coming along too with the NOX 800, so we may have a chance to compare targets. This is a good spot to see how these newer units perform in salt/sand related areas with a lot of rusty iron.

I don't think the CZ would fair too well in this one area...I do know it would be falsing a bit the way I run mine...on the edge of stability sensitivity wise. The concentric coil is not the optimal coil in this spot either. So the CZ is staying home.For most of my dry sand hunting, the CZ isn't my first choice anyway.

Thanks so much for the info.....I have to say that I would have to agree with you and your thoughts on the CZ......The newer machines seem to have the edge I really like being able to switch frequencies....It really helps identify targets....I’m also interested in how well the eq works in multi frequencies ....I have to listen closely to the tones of each machine.....I’m more interested in analog / modulated tones ....Soveriegn tones being my favorite !!....an analog symphony !! I like to know and feel the structure and size of the targets that I go after as well as what the audio tells me.....All of this is more important to me than the numbers that come up on the screen.......Please do report back as we do hunt a lot alike......Look forward to the comparison to the eq also if possible....Thanks again for your time.....Much appreciated......Jim