Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Making the Minelab Equinox even more waterproof

Finderskeeper

I recently watched a video on YouTube......

It seems that you can make the Equinox even more resistant to water incursion by putting some silicone caulking over a vent hole that has a piece of paper over it that is located on the handle mount. They also taped shut the speaker opening and put caulking around the edges of the duct tape to keep water out of the speaker area.

Has anyone tried this? Is water a problem with the newer Minelab Equinoxes?

The Equinox is already waterproof to 3m. Some owners have had issues with water ingress which will be replaced under warranty.
I can only imagine the person doing this mod will be diving down to greater depths than 3m. However, if he does get water ingress even after all that silicone he will have a hard job getting it all off if he trys to claim a new one under warranty from Minelab.

The Equinox is already waterproof to 3m. Some owners have had issues with water ingress which will be replaced under warranty.
I can only imagine the person doing this mod will be diving down to greater depths than 3m. However, if he does get water ingress even after all that silicone he will have a hard job getting it all off if he trys to claim a new one under warranty from Minelab.
Seeing how it has a 3 year warranty.....and I usually use my detectors for about 4 to 5 years and then get a new one or more.....I think I'll just use it without modifying it. I do a lot of salt water hunting and I'll sure be a worse case scenario for the Equinox 800.
I did find out that the paper covering of that hole is there to allow gasses from the battery to escape. The way the Equinox is designed, the handle is pretty tight to prevent water to get in but allows gasses to escape. The engineers at Minelab must have known what they were doing!

Modifications=voided warranty.

It's good for 3 years, don't over tighten the control head to the pole
Sell it at 3 years