Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Making your own coil covers.

Ace

Is there a cheap, effective way to make your own coil cover that anyone knows of (like making a plaster mold and then making a cover out of it)? I want to make one for my 5" EXcelerator. Or maybe a chemical that creates a removable, thin, durable, scratch resistant cover?

That seems like a lot of trouble to go to when you can buy one that's custom fit for $10.

I took some aquamarine epoxy and covered the underside of my Fisher CZ 10.5" coil with it, using one of those small aluminum handle "acid brushes". It's very durable and you'll never have anything get stuck inside it, like salty sand, water, or dirt. And if need be, it can be easily re-done. Several folks on the Beach and Water forum thought it was a good idea too and have done it. All you do is mix up the two-part epoxy and neatly coat the coil with a thick and even coating. Some pics....

you can find a tupper ware lids at yard sale that fit,and I believe the one# or 2# coffee can lids will fit...I use tupper ware lids...

I epoxied my explorer 11 coil last weekend with the epoxy method. It works great and keeps all the beach sand and water from getting inside the coil cover. This week I am going to get another batch and seal all around the coil seam for extra protection from internal leaks. Two tubes will do the 10" coil and an additional tube will do the perimiter coil seam. Total cost for all three tubes purchased at Ace Hardware $14.25. I recommend aqua-marine epoxy as a coil cover replacement :)