Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Makro 4.5 x 5" search coil

oleterryg

When I ordered my I ordered along with my new Racer, a 4.5" X 5" search coil.
I was just wondering if any of you guys use this coil and in what conditions?

The 4.5" X 5" (OOR) coil is great when hunting iron infested sites. I use mine for hunting ghost town sites riddled with nails and it's also great at pulling modern clad from among the trash in heavily littered parks.

You know, I was probably not thinking clearly when I ordered the small coil. I had read so many good things on small coils, I had to have one, I thought. I thought it might be good for the beach, to locate the target quicker.

'OOR' and 5½", at least 85% of the time on the Racer 2, but that's because 90% of the time I am hunting very densely littered ghost towns and similar sites like Tom mentioned he likes to hunt. I also use it for Coin Hunting trashier spots or working close to metal structures and in confined places.

hunts.
oleterryg said:
You know, I was probably not thinking clearly when I ordered the small coil. I had read so many good things on small coils, I had to have one, I thought. I thought it might be good for the beach, to locate the target quicker.
Usually most beach hunting is in wide-open areas where a 'standard' coil will be used most often. However, I also use the 'OOR' or 5½" DD coils when I am working beach areas in-and-around the fire pits and other confined and trashy gathering places.

Monte

Excellent coil to have. You get into an old trashy yard, it will definitely work well for you pulling coins out.

ThanK y'all for answering my questions. I appreciate it. I believe I will be very happy with my choice.

I have a Racer 2 that I am still learning. Last weekend I searched a foreclosed house yard and as an experiment I first searched a small area with the standard coil. Then I switched to the small coil and found 5 more coins. I also find it is easier for me to pinpoint the target, a plus if you are going for something you don't want to damage in recovery.

At the beach you'll want to use the 11" coil for ground coverage. You don't need to worry about being able to pinpoint in the sand. Just get yourself a good sand scoop. With the sand being so easy to dig in, just take a scoop, shake out the sand and retrieve the target. You don't have to worry about making a nice, neat hole. Just make sure you kick the sand back into your hole. We don't want to give anyone a reason to kick us off the beach.

Already have reservations to stay 5 days at an RV park on the Gulf Coast of Florida, beginning Feb 15th. We usually fish a lot from the surf, but this time metal detectors will be included. Already excited.

I LOVE the 5 x 4 1/2 OOR coil!!!!!!
One particular site I have sounds like a machine gun there are so many junk targets. That OOR coil never disappoints.

I just ordered the 15.5 x 13 RC40 coil from showmetreasure.com. Can't wait to see them side by side.

I have the 5" for both my racer 2 and nokta relic.
Thought I was missing out without the OOR on my racer 2 but I've read (some from Monte too) that both the OOR and 5" give very similar results so I saved the funds.
Who knows, still may buy it lol

https://youtu.be/WYVMS_472VA

https://youtu.be/67chFU3pML4

A small coil in a trashy area naturally seems the correct choice, but dont forget that large coils can also pull out targets in trash.
Take these 2 videos, R2 with small coil, and a GM5 with a 12.5x15 coil, the large coil gets what the small coil misses, always worth going over the same ground after the small coil !

I agree. Most times it's not that the small coil doesn't see it but improper swinging overlap. The chance is higher that you never had the coil over it.
I think that's the idea behind the gridding idea.
But more open areas I usually step up to my 5.5x10 DD.
10" coverage but separation of the 5" or close to it.
It's my favorite all purpose coil.
Now if kellyco would only stock the 5.5x10 concentric that I can put on my Ford relic l

Small coil is ideal for detecting between rocks and in gullies on my local beach. I only use 11" coil on open areas of the beach.

Slick is right on about the beach BUT if there is a volleyball court or other small jewelry area the small coil may get you some items you'd possibly miss otherwise. Also if there are swings or chain link fences you can get closer with the little guy. Depth and coverage go big, high EMI, environmental challenges or small gold go small. If you can only do one coil go with the stock 11. IMHO