Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Makro Gold Racer Rescues 2nd Small Gold from Tot Lot

flysar

Easter sunrise tot lot find in recently torn out equipment area netted a little clad and this gem.
10K MEX pendant that weighs in at 9.8 grains. I'm assuming the clasp and Mary are gold?
My Makro Gold Racer has netted a few small gold pieces and a large 15gram 14k Mans bracelet in tot lots.

I grab the Gold Racer often Del and sometimes it pulls in a little more than playground clad.
Not the best grass hunter since it hits so hard on small foil but it has its place other than the gold fields; wish I had some gold fields closer. Maybe I'll plan a week trip some time soon?

flysar said:
I grab the Gold Racer often Del and sometimes it pulls in a little more than playground clad.
Not the best grass hunter since it hits so hard on small foil but it has its place other than the gold fields; wish I had some gold fields closer. Maybe I'll plan a week trip some time soon?

Have you developed any techniques to sort out the foil and other junk from good finds? Jumpy ID, edge pass rejection, fast or slow swings, etc.?

TabWhisperer said:
flysar said:

Have you developed any techniques to sort out the foil and other junk from good finds? Jumpy ID, edge pass rejection, fast or slow swings, etc.?

Tabwhisperer, as you know all machines have a tell if you can find them. The Makro Gold hits hard on all low conductors as you would expect on a 56kHz machine, it's not bad on high conductors either. Thin foil has a flaky ID while thick/balled foil, tabs, aluminum screw caps, nickels, rings, etc are solid. In the chips I don't pass up anything because it's easy digging and you never know what it is until you dig it.
One thing I found in air & ground tests is AM will give ID deeper than in Disc 1 or 2. You'll get a tone at the same depth in Disc 2 or AM but for some reason you get a ID deeper in AM.
One should ask whether hitting tiny gold, which is worth little in melt value, is worth buying a specific gold unit. I bought it because I provide a service as a member of The Ring Finders and I know first hand the Racer Gold will hit a sub-surface stud earring and the small 4x7 elliptical is handy in tight spaces. Since the Gold Racer has full discrim features it can double as a coin machine too for picking silver but it doesn't hit the high conductors as deep as other machines. Iron separation is really good too.

flysar said:
Tabwhisperer, as you know all machines have a tell if you can find them. The Makro Gold hits hard on all low conductors as you would expect on a 56kHz machine, it's not bad on high conductors either. Thin foil has a flaky ID while thick/balled foil, tabs, aluminum screw caps, nickels, rings, etc are solid. In the chips I don't pass up anything because it's easy digging and you never know what it is until you dig it.
One thing I found in air & ground tests is AM will give ID deeper than in Disc 1 or 2. You'll get a tone at the same depth in Disc 2 or AM but for some reason you get a ID deeper in AM.
One should ask whether hitting tiny gold, which is worth little in melt value, is worth buying a specific gold unit. I bought it because I provide a service as a member of The Ring Finders and I know first hand the Racer Gold will hit a sub-surface stud earring and the small 4x7 elliptical is handy in tight spaces. Since the Gold Racer has full discrim features it can double as a coin machine too for picking silver but it doesn't hit the high conductors as deep as other machines. Iron separation is really good too.

Excellent information. Thanks. Not much melt value in tiny gold but once in a while there are diamonds or stones attached. Plus it's finding stuff other machines miss. Getting more duty than finding gold nuggets is good and a little different than typical urban hunting. I've noticed comments seemed to indicate a need to dig all targets since it sounded like foil could never be sorted out but apparently there is some ability to do that.