Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Makro Pointer and Rechargeable Batteries

fjs440

I like my Makro Pointer, even though at times it acted a bit crazy.

If your Makro Pointer acts erratic at times, the following may be the problem.

I found the problem was caused by the rechargeable batteries. When fully charged they measure around 10 volts and everything was great. When the battery gets down to around 8.75 volts the pointer becomes ornery and irritating.

I will keep using this pointer, but now I always carry an extra battery or at least recharge the battery after each use.

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”, 8” and NEL Hunter Coil
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones
Garrett Z-Lynk

I buy batteries, both an abundance of 'AA' and 9-Volt, in quantity to cut the cost down. Combined with the fact that the Makro and Nokta Pinpointers last a very, very long time when using alkaline batteries, I haven't seen any need to try rechargeables. I also never have an issues with them being erratic, either. They work and work well, and when the alkaline batteries starts to weaken, which is different from an abrupt drop-off that we get with rechargeables, it alerts me that it will be time to change the battery soon.

Just my thought and experiences.

Monte

Using alkaline batteries is best. I started using rechargeables with my old Fisher F2, without a problem, and have stayed with them since I already have them. When these die, I will go to alkaline.

I wanted to warn people about the problem I had with this type of battery, when using the Makro Pointer.

I agree with Monte. The batteries last such a long time in the pointer that I never felt I needed rechargeable batteries in mine.

Every time my Makro pointer has acted up, it's been because of low battery levels/voltage. Needless to say it doesn't happen often.

Quite often, when I pin point a target with my Makro pp, and then pull it away, it continues to beep, like crazy.

I've contacted Makro about this problem, and they want me to send a video. For some reason I can't duplicate this event, in my home or in my yard.

I'm guessing I need to be on a real hunt. This has been a persistent problem for over a month. I've tried 3 different brands of aka line batteries. Same problem.

The good thing I have a Garrett carrot as a backup, but I prefer the Makro .

You might want to open the battery compartment and check if all contacts are clean. I had this issue happen a few times with mine the first year I was using it. By looking inside, I noticed that fine dust had entered the battery compartment despite the sealing gasket. I blew the inside with a rocket blower (sold in photography stores) and cleaned the connector contacts with Deoxit. I'm not sure that the dust/dirt was the cause of the problem but it never happened after that. Whatever you do, don't use canned air !

Also, I would take the tip of the pointer off (the plastic cap), clean it and wipe off the tip of the pointer. Just like a coil cover, a fine coating of crud can get in between the cap and the bare pointer tip.

I've been using Duracell batteries in mine. The regular copper top ones.

.Mike, I'll take heed to everything you wrote. Actually, I blew out the battery compartment yesterday, and cleaned it. That might be why I can't duplicate the problem.

I will take the cover off tonight and clean it . I've got an Ever Ready in it now.

Thank ypu.

Mike, it's working fine now. Like you suggested, just cleaned it up really good.
Also put in a new Duracell. I can always use the ER in another device.
Thanks.

I've studied on rechargeables, but sticking with alcaline for now.

That's good to know. You might have to do it again within a year or so but mine has been good since the start of the present season.