Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manticore Depth Test Result - Not too impressed

I've done many tests with many detectors on proper targets,ie buried in the ground for a good period of time.The results I got were very interesting and sometimes quite shocking and nothing like the manufacturers claims and nothing like some you tube detectorists claims either.Proper testing on targets that have been buried for a good period of time basically show (from my results at least) that there isn't a single detector that has a big advantage over another one.........that's why I gave up listening to the hype and buying the latest models.
Set yourself up a good test garden with targets at different depths,targets mixed with iron etc,etc and be prepared to look at detectors in a different way.........it will also prove that ANY test done in air or with targets on top of the ground are a complete and utter waste of time.......FACT.

I've done many tests with many detectors on proper targets,ie buried in the ground for a good period of time.The results I got were very interesting and sometimes quite shocking and nothing like the manufacturers claims and nothing like some you tube detectorists claims either.Proper testing on targets that have been buried for a good period of time basically show (from my results at least) that there isn't a single detector that has a big advantage over another one.........that's why I gave up listening to the hype and buying the latest models.
Set yourself up a good test garden with targets at different depths,targets mixed with iron etc,etc and be prepared to look at detectors in a different way.........it will also prove that ANY test done in air or with targets on top of the ground are a complete and utter waste of time.......FACT.
I agree totally. I get sucked in to all the hype too , buying top of the range minelab for that "50% extra" which from what i see is maybe 5% at best extra. Maybe not even that. Splitting hairs for sure.

.it will also prove that ANY test done in air or with targets on top of the ground are a complete and utter waste of time.......FACT.

I did a test above ground in the air with my deus 2 it was the lightest easiest of all my my detectors to swing (FACT) 😁 :bouncy: sube

I agree totally. I get sucked in to all the hype too , buying top of the range minelab for that "50% extra" which from what i see is maybe 5% at best extra. Maybe not even that. Splitting hairs for sure.
I was thinking the other day about all the really good finds i have made over the years and being in the UK i've made quite a few,Roman,medievil,celtic and even saxon finds etc..........i would have found the vast majority of these with any of the detectors i have owned and i've owned many in the hope of finding that one "magic" machine that would miraculously increase my finds rate.......never did find it lol.The one detector that stood out and the one i found the most with was the detector i used the most because i enjoyed using it more than any of my others,not because it would outperform everything else.I think today,as it has always been,the top machines generally offer the same sort of overall performance.......one may do slightly better in one area whereas another will do slightly better in a different scenario.
One thing is for sure though,the advertising men have still got the majority by the balls.🤣🤣

I was thinking the other day about all the really good finds i have made over the years and being in the UK i've made quite a few,Roman,medievil,celtic and even saxon finds etc..........i would have found the vast majority of these with any of the detectors i have owned and i've owned many in the hope of finding that one "magic" machine that would miraculously increase my finds rate.......never did find it lol.The one detector that stood out and the one i found the most with was the detector i used the most because i enjoyed using it more than any of my others,not because it would outperform everything else.I think today,as it has always been,the top machines generally offer the same sort of overall performance.......one may do slightly better in one area whereas another will do slightly better in a different scenario.
One thing is for sure though,the advertising men have still got the majority by the balls.🤣🤣
What machine was that ?

Not sure how you interpret 50 percent more power into a depth issue? Perhaps someday you will learn what it all about. I know of only a few people who have taken the time to learn the Manticore and they are laughing at the rest. JMO
HH Jeff

I'd like to see one of those people go to a virgin field and compare all the signals they get with someone who has say an etrac or a Deus or any other top notch machine...........I bet they would all pick up the targets.It won't be long before the second hand market is rife with manticores.......just got to wait for the next game changer to come along.😁😁

Not sure how you interpret 50 percent more power into a depth issue? Perhaps someday you will learn what it all about. I know of only a few people who have taken the time to learn the Manticore and they are laughing at the rest. JMO
HH Jeff
The manticore is no deeper than a nox or legend ,so i think to my self what is this 50% more power actually doing. Any suggestions ?

I've heard that here in the states there is a maximum amount of transmit power for metal detectors. I think it was 1 watt. I have no way of knowing if this is correct and there's probably very few who actually know. For years there were all kinds of bs stories about patents on smf etc. I would bet money they weren't true but everyone repeated them as gospel because they heard that too.. Let's not forget ML's implied claims (in their advertisement years ago) how FBS transmitted 19 frequencies all at the same time.

I've heard that here in the states there is a maximum amount of transmit power for metal detectors. I think it was 1 watt. I have no way of knowing if this is correct and there's probably very few who actually know. For years there were all kinds of bs stories about patents on smf etc. I would bet money they weren't true but everyone repeated them as gospel because they heard that too.. Let's not forget ML's implied claims (in their advertisement years ago) how FBS transmitted 19 frequencies all at the same time.
Or that the Equinox was going to obsolete all other detectors.:LOL: I think the 50 % is 50% more BS than they laid on us in the past. I don't think the Manticore made the splash they thought it would. I read most of the forums and only see a handful of Manticore users posting. I don't do Facebook or other like media so maybe there are more users than I realize. To me it seems the D2 and even the Legend are out pacing it. When was the last time you saw specials on a supposedly flagship machine before it was out less than a year ? And a 25 % price increase, Please.

Or that the Equinox was going to obsolete all other detectors.:LOL: I think the 50 % is 50% more BS than they laid on us in the past. I don't think the Manticore made the splash they thought it would. I read most of the forums and only see a handful of Manticore users posting. I don't do Facebook or other like media so maybe there are more users than I realize. To me it seems the D2 and even the Legend are out pacing it. When was the last time you saw specials on a supposedly flagship machine before it was out less than a year ? And a 25 % price increase, Please.
Judging by what I heard 50% more power equals 7% more depth so 700% more power would be a 100% in depth . This is what they tell you but I doubt that you could force that much in the ground just like you can't run the manticore at full power in just about any ground . That's only at 50% percent more increase in power.
Be similar to using a maul to a hammer for pounding nails in a board .
Now I don't know about the benefits of more power to mitigate EMI but that never has been a real issue where I hunt .
With all the new detectors out there nobody is getting a handful of seated dimes out of there pounded parks every time they go .
, but it sounds like if you don't get the newest and bestest well that's why you don't have that handful of seats .
If you read the forums you will know when that detector comes like when the explorers made there entrance to the market .
The best detector is the one that's USED . sube

Processing my friend. Target separation is thru the roof. JMO
If you truly had target separation then two targets under the coil at the same time would ID with proper #s but they (don't) especially two non-ferrous targets .
Improper IDS tells me they were not separated . Just about all the detectors I have used well ID at 4 inches or less because the center bar is not influenced by the adjacent target . Get past 5 to 6 and your out of luck. sube

If you truly had target separation then two targets under the coil at the same time would ID with proper #s but they (don't) especially two non-ferrous targets .
Improper IDS tells me they were not separated . Just about all the detectors I have used well ID at 4 inches or less because the center bar is not influenced by the adjacent target . Get past 5 to 6 and your out of luck. sube
It gets worse , i just did some calculations and it seems us manticore users are paying £ 350 per centimetre for each extra cm of depth or $439 for USA users per centimetre extra
or £35 per MM of depth! or 43 dollars per MM extra depth :laugh: for the USA users!

The manticore is no deeper than a nox or legend ,so i think to my self what is this 50% more power actually doing. Any suggestions ?
Minelab first quoted 50% more power into the ground.......then after somebody said they were lying they changed it to 50% more power to the coil.In reality its just 100% marketing blurb to get people to part with their hard earned cash.Is what it is.......if people are happy to spend loads of wonga on the strength of info dreamt up by marketing men thats fine.I will spend out on the first manufacturer that says " our detector will get you 50% more finds than any other on the market".
That however is never going to happen so they just make up impressive sounding literature to make us think they are doing something better than anyone else.How many detectors over the past years have been game changers but now languish in the back of a cupboard.......make some extra space for the manticore won't you.😁😁

.it will also prove that ANY test done in air or with targets on top of the ground are a complete and utter waste of time.......FACT.

I did a test above ground in the air with my deus 2 it was the lightest easiest of all my my detectors to swing (FACT) 😁 :bouncy: sube
Yep exactly in the ground is totally different.
Minelab really needed to address the coil ears breaking water intrusion shaft problems of the equinox. The 800 was my best detector for silver finds paid for itself many times over so when the manticore came out I saw the improvements with build I bought one.
I don’t regret it and the same with the D2 never had a build issue with my D1 or my new D2 they complement each other well.
Mark

Last edited:
Minelab really needed to address the coil ears breaking water intrusion shaft problems of the equinox. The 800 was my best detector for silver finds paid for itself many times over so when the manticore came out I saw the improvements with build I bought one.
I don’t regret it and the same with the D2 never had a build issue with my D1 or my new D2 they complement each other well.
Mark

Mark
Mark------In what way(s) does the Deus 2 & Deus 1 compliment each other?