Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manticore too deep for Park Detectorists?

The Coin Magician

I was watching a video of a guy hunting a park in new york with a manticore , The guy was digging 1 foot + deep holes , and the holes were wide, really wide. I seriously think this detector
might be too deep to use on parks and sport fields . A man approached him asking him what he was doing. I am pretty sure it's asking for trouble digging 15 inch holes on parks.
I have seen the depths people are getting on coins with the manticore and 15 inches is fairly common for an average sized coin. Small silvers at 13 inches i have seen been dug .I have to admit that i did not think
manticore would be so deep.

First of all , don't believe everything you see , especially if it's from someone known to be a fanboy of the particular detector being used. ;)It's simply amazing the performance that comes with promotion. As far as hole size goes , a larger hole if done properly is going to be less damaging than a small one where the larger percentage of roots are cut. I often cut relatively large size plugs when the site and the digging conditions permit and if I return the next day or two see no evidence of a hole being dug. Out here where it's dry and cold in the Winter and the grass goes dormant , it's almost impossible to dig a small hole hole without leaving a noticeable mark.

I called the Darby police department and asked if I could metal detect. He called me back and said yes as long as you respect and leave like no one was their. Food for thought in like a ghost and out. Use respect enjoy the hobby

I called the Darby police department and asked if I could metal detect. He called me back and said yes as long as you respect and leave like no one was their. Food for thought in like a ghost and out. Use respect enjoy the hobby
Just don't let anyone see the open hole. Many don't like to see the open hole , they think it bad. Ru digging the field up!

There are so many detectorists that don’t dig a proper plug and ruin it for the rest of us!…..Then you have the uneducated public that doesn’t realize that a properly dug plug will continue to flourish when placed back properly…It’s a perfect storm !

I for one don't understand some of these guys when they dig in park grounds they have to use predator style shovels and dig 1ft diameter holes. ( It burns my ass). I saw a few youtube videos the other day from a reputable guys digging these monster holes in park grounds. Ive been doing this hobby for many years, when I'm in parks I just use my Lesche digging tool do a 4" to maybe 5" plug set in on a 2x2 rag plus soil. I can dig 12 in down on a 4" plug. Pinpoint accuracy is important and 9 times out of 10 I'm right on. So keep those Predator shovels for the woods. Besides that's less for you to carry.....I'm sure I'll get some criticism for this for some of you who don't agree....Oh if it doesn't rain for a month I stay away from parks your ground is hard and the grass won't survive most times after the dig.

The problem I see is guys cutting plugs without a hinge on the plug. All you have to do is cut a three sided plug like Gary From XP, watch his videos and you’ll see how to cut a perfect plug.
Mark

I for one don't understand some of these guys when they dig in park grounds they have to use predator style shovels and dig 1ft diameter holes. ( It burns my ass). I saw a few youtube videos the other day from a reputable guys digging these monster holes in park grounds. Ive been doing this hobby for many years, when I'm in parks I just use my Lesche digging tool do a 4" to maybe 5" plug set in on a 2x2 rag plus soil. I can dig 12 in down on a 4" plug. Pinpoint accuracy is important and 9 times out of 10 I'm right on. So keep those Predator shovels for the woods. Besides that's less for you to carry.....I'm sure I'll get some criticism for this for some of you who don't agree....Oh if it doesn't rain for a month I stay away from parks your ground is hard and the grass won't survive most times after the dig.
Fishnmaine,

I understand your point. And I know some folks are "disturbed" when they see full-length shovels, and 8" to 12"-diameter holes being dug.

BUT -- it's not the shovel, or the size of the hole that is the issue, in my opinion. It is instead the skill, and the conscientiousness of the person doing the digging, that really matters.

I am one that uses a specific, large shovel (Lesche 38D) as often as I can (though I don't, in some spots, where a hand trowel "draws less attention"), and who digs rather "large" holes. But, in my case, there is INTENT and PURPOSE in the what, and the why. Consider a golf course. The green is the most "sacred" patch of grass in the world, in my opinion...the grass finely manicured to just 32nds of an inch high, perfecly flat, it's PRISTINE. And WHAT do they cut the holes in the green with? A hole cutter, that is essentially very much like the shovel that I use. Theirs is a 360-degree cyclindrical cutter, mine is only about 120 degrees, but with a very similar long, round radiused-blade. So, while the greenskeeper has to only plunge in only ONE time, to cut the hole, I have to plunge in 3 times (as again, my shovel is only 1/3 or so of a circle). BUT, the point is -- I attempt to make the end result (a nice, intact, round plug) in the same manner as a greenskeeper cutting a hole on a putting green. I remove an intact plug, as much as is possible (clayish soil is easier, obviously, than sandy soil). I then retrieve my target, and replace the plug as one piece, tamping it back down in place just like the greenskeeper does when he cuts a new hole, and then uses the plug to fill the old hole.

My point is, I feel that I can cut a better, cleaner hole, and leave more of the roots of the grass intact, with the specific shovel and the specific method that I use. Are all of my holes perfect? No. Sometimes, the dirt is too sandy, or too dry to hold together as much as I prefer; occasionally I miss the target with my plug and have to "alter" the hole, etc. BUT -- using a hand tool, in our heavy clay soil, is often very difficult; you can't cut a nice hole very easily, and to me, more root damage is done.

One other thing I'll say, is that the TYPE of grass matters. Here in Oklahoma, we have primarily bermudagrass. It is a "spreading" or "creeping" type of grass, via stolons and rhizomes. And so, unless the weather is dry, and the grass dormant, a properly dug and replaced plug (i.e. one that essentially invisible immediately, if replaced properly) may "yellow" a bit, over the course of a few days. BUT -- due to the stolon/rhizome spreading nature of the grass, it recovers VERY quickly. This is unlike some more northern grasses, which -- when the roots are cut -- do not "repair" as quickly. Meanwhile, in the cool season, when the bermudagrass is entirely dormant, it's even easier...

The bottom line, is that there are many things that matter -- soil type, grass type, etc. Focusing on the type of shovel is a bit of a red herring, in my opinion. I will dig side by side with ANYONE, using ANY digger, and am willing to bet that I accomplish the "leave no trace" objective as well as just about anyone.

Steve

Manticore too deep for parks? LOL. Really? Killing me. Like Steve said above, use good techniques and be smart about your recoveries. I've hunted private yards and parks for decades. Home owners and park maintenance people come to watch. Cut deep plugs, don't remove the soil from the grass roots. Use a drop cloth for all removed soil. Know when it is too dry to cut plugs. Learn how to pinpoint like a pro. Use a pinpointer to isolate targets in the hole. Use care putting things back. Brush up the grass where you knelt down. Do your best to make it look like you were never there. Oh and take away any trash recovered, don't leave it there for somebody to step on.

Not sure if you're doing a great job with your recoveries? Go back to your spot three or four days later and have a look at the area you hunted. How does it look? Not so good? What did you do wrong? Practice in your own yard.

Don't let anybody see the open hole. Seriously? If you're hunting a park in the daytime EVERYBODY is keeping an eye on you, the kids are probably following you asking what you're looking for. Adults will wander your direction hoping to have a look at what you're doing. They might even chat you up letting you know they have a friend or relative that has a detector. They want to know if you've found anything amazing. Be courteous and pleasant. Do an awesome job of recovering targets, represent the hobby well.

Oh, and yes, the Manticore is deep. When I started using a CZ-6 back in the very early 90's I had to make changes to my recovery methods because of depth. And again in 2000 with my Explorer XS because of Deeper targets and coins at strange angles that pinpoint off center. With the 800 it is keepers co located with nails or other trash. My initial thoughts with my Manticore is more depth with co located targets.

UtahRich

Last edited:
Manticore too deep for parks? LOL. Really? Killing me. Like Steve said above, use good techniques and be smart about your recoveries. I've hunted private yards and parks for decades. Home owners and park maintenance people come to watch. Cut deep plugs, don't remove the soil from the grass roots. Use a drop cloth for all removed soil. Know when it is too dry to cut plugs. Learn how to pinpoint like a pro. Use a pinpointer to isolate targets in the hole. Use care putting things back. Brush up the grass where you knelt down. Do your best to make it look like you were never there. Oh and take away any trash recovered, don't leave it there for somebody to step on.

Not sure if you're doing a great job with your recoveries? Go back to your spot three or four days later and have a look at the area you hunted. How does it look? Not so good? What did you do wrong? Practice in your own yard.

Don't let anybody see the open hole. Seriously? If you're hunting a park in the daytime EVERYBODY is keeping an eye on you, the kids are probably following you asking what you're looking for. Adults will wander your direction hoping to have a look at what you're doing. They might even chat you up letting you know they have a friend or relative that has a detector. They want to know if you've found anything amazing. Be courteous and pleasant. Do an awesome job of recovering targets, represent the hobby well.

Oh, and yes, the Manticore is deep. When I started using a CZ-6 back in the very early 90's I had to make changes to my recovery methods because of depth. And again in 2000 with my Explorer XS because of Deeper targets and coins at strange angles that pinpoint off center. With the 800 it is keepers co located with nails or other trash. My initial thoughts with my Manticore is more depth with co located targets.

UtahRich
Isn't that called common-sense Rich! I agree with you and Steve. I also agree with your initial thoughts on the Manticore!

Isn't that called common-sense Rich! I agree with you and Steve. I also agree with your initial thoughts on the Manticore!

We have a great hobby, one that takes some skill and expertise to do well. Some seem to think they should be embarrassed or ashamed or apologetic or secretive. I've had long talks with all sorts of interesting folks about history of communities, of particular home and families, subjects like trade tokens and their use, prohibition, gambling and slot machines, old swimming holes, long gone businesses and towns no longer seen, sledding hills and ice skating ponds. We really do have a totally cool hobby. Don't be ashamed, be proud. Learn some history of the places you hunt and it makes things much more interesting.

UtahRich

I think I saw the video you are talking about. I have never seen someone dig such huge plugs. I haven't dug a hole that size in a farm field let alone a public park! That's got to draw someone's attention and not for the good no matter what they look like afterwards. MHO