Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manual vs Auto

Ohio Digger

This might be a dumb question, but, is an Auto Sens at 26 (+\- 0) the same as running Manual Sens at 26? And is there a benefit from one to the other if its the same Sens? I thought I read on another thread today that you can swing a lot slower in Manual Sens and still pick up really deep signals as opposed to swinging too slow in Auto and it missing that same deep signal.

I don't believe it would be the same because There are 3 signal channels in which the etrac is constantly tracking the magnetism interference in the soil that affects each and when in auto sens. it adjusts to the best channel. Adding +1 to +3 just lets you get more aggressive with your sensitivity. I always run mine in auto with a +3.. I still feel its best to use auto sens. JMHO

It would not be the same. It is true that manual allows you to go slower. I use manual as high as it will go while maintaining stability.
Good luck in the field.

Using Auto sensitivity gives me more accurate ID numbers and the machine really runs smooth. But when I need max depth, I crank it up in Manual and tolerate the chatter/falsing.

I use auto 3 + most of the time. I did few times 27 manual and digging and nothing! Fault! Shallow coins is no problem with manual but I don't have any luck with deep coins so I stay with auto 3 +. I test my coin garden and able to pick up mercury dime at 8 inch deep and quarter at 7 inch deep then my set up is fine with auto 3+.

To answer the original question, NO they're not the same.
In Auto, the channels are all averaged dependant on ground conditions.
In manual, all channels are at the same absolute setting.

Auto will usually give a better more crisper target ID for shallower targets but will not typically detect a dime deeper than 8 to 9 inches or so in my experience.

Most of the silver dimes i found last Summer were from 10 to 13 inches deep using manual sensitivity.