Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Marbles Part 2

blade310

After my buddy left, I walked out to the edge of the yard and tried to look into the woods. I couldn't make out much from where I was at,so after spending a minute or two sniffing for skunk scent, I stepped in. There wasn't as much undergrowth as I thought there would be, but there were plenty of trees and the canopy the leaves made over head gave the place an almost eerie,shadowy,secluded feel about it. After looking around a few minutes I didn't see anything of interest and decided to go grab a beer and sit on my new table for awhile.
I knew it was a little early to be drinking but it was Saturday and the first Saturday I had off in a month. And it was one of those days (we have all had them) where you could be or should be doing this or that but you just decide that, today is my day everything that needs to be done or could be done will just have to wait. So at nine o'clock in the morning I was gonna have a cold beer and just enjoy myself. it wouldn't be to long before the sun chased me into the shade or house anyway. So I went in and grabbed a bottle and the opener and stepped back out side. I was trying to pop the cap off with the opener as I headed out to the table and when I looked up, Great Googly Moogly! , There was A giant skunk sitting on the picnic table! but it wasn't a skunk . It was the biggest cat I had ever seen! It was white with black markings. It was missing most of one ear. It had a scar through its whiskers on one side of its face, (actually there were only two whiskers growing there) which gave it a permanent sneer. Half its tail was missing and the half that was there had no fur what so ever on it. And the paw part of its left back foot was missing. I stopped in my tracks and just stared at it. What a ghastly thing I thought. It sat there at one end of the table staring back, possibly thinking the same thing of me. It was one of those sights that you want to look away from but just can't.
I figured if I moved suddenly it would take off. I popped the cap off my beer and the cat watched it fall to the ground but it didn't move. I wasn't sure what to do next, so I walked around to the other side of the table and sat down on the far end and put my feet up on the seat area and took a swig of beer. I realized the cat didn't plan on going anywhere. I didn't want to keep staring at the thing and possibly get it riled up,so I sat there looking out at the woods. I could tell he was a male.Mainly from the size of his head. After a moment I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and looked around and the cat was walking toward me. He came right up and sat down beside me and looked out towards the woods. So I turned and looked back that way. We sat there side by side no more than six inches apart staring out at the woods.
I thought something needed to be said. An icebreaker as it were, but I didn't know what. I considered it for awhile and finally said, " who the ell are you supposed to be?"
He of course didn't respond. So I sat there taking pulls on my beer and before I new it it was empty. I wanted to get another but I didn't want the cat to run off. I don't no why. I guess it was just one of those weird magical moments that you don't want to end. Then I decided I was being foolish and got up and headed for the house. I looked back and that ole cat just sat there looking off towards the woods. I decided to put a little milk in a bowl and see if he was thirsty. So beer and milk in hand I headed back out. He was still sitting there. I put the milk down beside him and sat down. He sniffed around the milk a bit but didn't take a drink. When I popped the cap off my beer he looked at the bottle and then up at me then back at the bottle again. Then he started staring at me. It was getting warm. I took a big drink of the beer then took my shirt off. I looked back at the cat and he was still staring at me. That beer sure tasted good that morning. I took another gulp and sat the bottle down beside the milk. I hadn't had any breakfast so I was getting a little bit of a buzz already.
When I was a kid I had found this marble somewhere and I carried it around for luck for several years. I don't know what ever happened to it. it was solid white with a few black marks on it. I had never seen one like it before. In my slightly tingly state of mind,I decided that that cats head looked about like that marble. So right then and there I named him Marbles. I finished off my beer and headed in for another. I thought Marbles might drink the milk while I was gone but it didn't look like he had touched it. I opened my beer and sat it down by the milk again.This time Marbles reached out with a paw and patted the bottle a few times. I took the bottle up and drank about half of it down. I looked at Marbles and he was looking at the beer bottle. I thought that was kind of funny. Then I thought why not? So I picked the bottle caps up off the ground and put a little beer in one. I moved the milk back out of the way and sat the little sip of beer down beside Marbles. He took just a second to sniff it then started to lap it up. But about the second time his tongue came out it flipped the cap off the table. He looked up at me.I had to laugh out loud. I took the bowl of milk and emptied it out in the yard. Then I took my shirt and and wiped the bowl dry and poured a little beer into it. I put it down in front of Marbles. This cat had to have had a snort or two before because he went at that beer like an old pro. I had just emptied my bottle when he lapped the last bit out of his bowl. I went in for another.
I was really feeling it now. I opened the fresh beer and sat down. I looked over at Marbles and he opened his mouth as if to meow or say something but nothing came out. I said, "just a little more my friend."
I didn't want to get the cat drunk but if he wanted to have a beer with me,who was I to deny him? I doubled up the amount this round. Marbles lay down in front of the bowl and hung his head over it and started to drink. I sat there drinking my beer and wondering what adventures and misadventures this big guy had lived through. I was getting a bit sentimental now. I knew this to be true when I got to thinking about how much pain that cat had to have gone through when loosing its tail and a tear came to my eye. But this was my day, correction Marbles and my day. I went after another beer.
When I came back out Marbles was just finishing the last of his beer. He looked up at me and I swear his left eye was starting to droop. I said, "I'm gonna half to cut you off you old fart, cause your lookin' kinda odd. This struck me as very funny cause he looked kinda odd when I first laid eyes on him. Ell he looked like road kill. Now I was really cracking up. Bout that time Marbles jumps down and shoots off into the woods. I started to say, "was it something I said? but before I could get it out here come a big ole dog around the side of the house and into the woods after him. A second later IT CAME OUT OF THE WOODS AT FULL SPEED,Marbles right on its tail. Marbles chased him around the side of the house and they were gone. a moment later I thought I heard a yelp but couldn't be sure.Bout that time I fell off the picnic table. And so decided to have another beer. I couldn't remember if I had finished the last one, but felt it was time for a fresh one. I stumbled my way in to the house and got another. As I opened the door and stepped out I looked up and saw Marbles sitting on the picnic table. I think a little fear and a little joy went through me right then and I missed the cement blocks and went down. I banged my knee up pretty good and my elbow was bleeding a bit but Marbles was back. I stumbled out to the table and sat down pretty hard. Marbles walked over to me and put a paw on my thigh for a moment then went back over to his bowl and sat down. He sniffed around his bowl and then looked at me again. I said, " Marbles if you can run with the big dogs then you can tie one on if you so desire." this cracked me up and I almost fell off the table again. I poured a triple dose for Marbles this time and took a big gulp of my own. I looked at my watch. It was eleven o'clock. I figured we had time for a few more beers before it got to hot out.
I tried to get Marbles to tell me what he did with that big bad dog but he was kinda tight lipped about it. Then I asked him how he got back onto the table so fast since he had just chased a dog for what had to be a good distance. as usual he didn't respond,and I assured him this was not a good way to start a friendship. He looked up at me and I think his droopy eye winked at me but I couldn't be sure. I couldn't be sure of much anything at this point. One thing I was sure of,I needed another beer,having just finished my last one. Marbles was still working on his or I woulda asked him to go after the next one. I got up sayin', " lousy cat,drinkin' all my beer and sure as shootin' wouldn't go get us one even if I asked nice. Just wants to go chasin' some stupid dog. Ell I could chase a stinkin' dog around. But no I gotta be the friggin bar tender." I didn't say this out loud of course, Marbles was kinda scary and might decide to go chasin' me if I ticked him off. I either burped or farted then.Couldn't tell which. I made it in and back out with a beer. Marbles had finished his last round and was up on his hind legs either stretching or reaching for something in the sky. As I sat down I realized he was purring. At least I hoped that's what it was. I didn't smell anything so it musta been a purr. It sounded like a Tommy gun off in the distance. Finally he got down on all fours again. he stopped purring and took a paw and slapped his bowl right of the table. then he laid down,rolled over on his back,folded in his front paws in,let his back legs kinda go askew and started snoring. I told him that was a good idea,a little cat nap. I got off the table and after a few minutes got my legs under the table and sat down on the seat. I finished my beer,lay my arms on the table then laid my head on my arms and was out like a light. when I woke up I looked at my watch. Five o'clock! holy crap! that's when I realized I was sun burned. More like burnt to a crisp. and my head ached pretty bad and I didn't want to move. I looked over to Marbles but he was gone.
I never saw Marbles again. but we were friends for that short period of time, we had a few laughs, tied one on. Even today I think of Marbles now and then. Some days are golden That was one of mine.

That's the story of my friend Marbles. And the usage of Rusty's line It came out of the woods at full speed. :drinking: :biggrin:

Thanks for tagging along.

I tell you, ..I hope you are keeping a portfolio of your work, you have a natural gift that just keeps getting better the more you write...I got up early like usual, but instead of my normal thoughts, I was thinking "I wonder if Blade finished Marbles for us" thanks for a well done and descriptive tale of a day in your life that most others would not treasure like you do, for sharing your treasure with us, and for nailing the challenge! :clapping::clapping::clapping:
Mud