Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MARS MD PINPOINTER

joe dirt_1

Has anyone tried the Mars MD pinpointer yet? I would like to hear what others that own one have to say about it.
I just bought one but haven't got to take it out yet for a hunt. I have a Garrett carrot, a Minelab pro find , and a Whites TRX....The Mars seems like a well made pinpointer, and cost less than the others also.
Would like to hear the pros and cons of the Mars pinpointer from other owners......Thanks

Roger

You already own the best pin pointers available. Why do you keep buying more? Their functionality is very limited. Go treat your wife and yourself to a steak. :cheekkiss:

John, Do you own the Mars pin pointer ? How is the Mars pin pointers functionality very limited ? It detects metal objects just like the others, it has vibration only or vibration and sound just like the other pin pointers. It has a lost pin pointer alarm that beeps if you walk away
and forget the pin pointer after digging a target. The only thing it doesn't have is a light which isn't a problem for me . One nice feature of the Mars is I couldn't make it false like the others. The Mars has a very good price also, mine cost me 90.00 brand new.......HH

I am not knocking the Mars or any other. I am just saying you have already some of the best. Just wondering why you keep buying more?

Looks like you got a tough crowd here, Roger.

I use or have used the Carrot, the original black Pro-Pointer, the TRX and the Pistol Probe and they all have at least one superior or potentially superior feature over the other three. I only own two of them now, but you could argue a functional reason for owning all four.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Mars MD when you start using it. In the meantime, what's your opinion of the other three you own? Do you have a favorite?

Marcomo, It's a very tough crowd :), I was using the Carrot the most probably. The TRX was the deepest detecting, but there is nothing in the instruction manual about setting the sensitivity. Seems kinda odd to have the feature but not explain how to set it.
The Minelab is easy to adjust the sensitivity, but has a little less depth than the others All do a good job of locating the target as intended, but have a tendency to false if you put any pressure on the pin pointer while searching for the target.
My TRX started acting up last spring and was going nuts just holding it in the air away from any metal. It has to go back to Whites for repair or replacement under warranty.

The Mars pin pointer performs as well as the others for depth of detection, and I tried to make if false and couldn't. It lacks the light that the others have which is a nice feature, but not a big deal to me. The Mars doesn't sound as loud as the other pin pointers
but is loud enough to hear with headphones on. Just from playing with the Mars pin pointer, it may put the others into retirement. Hope to take it hunting tomorrow and see how well it works in the dirt. From my testing it seems to be a well made quality pin pointer
at a very good price. I paid 90 bucks for my Mars, but you can buy the red Mars on Fleabay for 70 bucks or so brand new............HH

Roger

Nice write up, Roger.

Been a while since I had the TRX, but I remember those so called "secret settings." There was a post on the White's forum with instructions missing from the manual some years ago, if I can find it I'll attach it to this thread in a later post.

Sounds like the Mars pinpointer has good potential. When it comes to the original black Pro Pointer, its advantage over the Carrot and especially the TRX for me was the instant on and off with no delay. That instant on/off is what I miss about using the original black. Does the Mars have that feature?

Another thing that I've always thought would be nice in a pinpointer would be a low battery warning so you don't get stuck in the field with a non-functional pinpointer. That would be a nice advantage if the Mars has that.

Marcomo, Yes, the Mars has the instant on feature like the Minelab Pro Find. I was going to mention that feature but forgot to include it in my post. I always hated hitting the power button on the Garrett and having it shut down because you didn't hit the center of the switch.
I was thinking either the Garrett or TRX had a chirping sound for low alarm, but I would have to check on that to be sure. The Mars will turn itself off when the battery power is low, so I guess it does have a low battery alert. It's rated at 16 hours for battery consumption.
The lost pin pointer alarm will start beeping if you lay the pin pointer down while turned on, and continue beeping until the battery is consumed, giving you time to locate the missing pin pointer. I use a coiled tether to keep my pin pointer from being lost in the weeds and brush.
Anyone in the market for a new pin pointer should check the Mars MD out, I think they will be very happy with it........HH

Roger