Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MASKING-- SMALL & LARGE COIL -UNEXPECTED RESULT

GunnarMN

Say , i buried a dime at 5"and went over it with the 7" DD coil and i could only get it one way, so I figured it must be a small pice of Iron so I figured the blisstool would also not be able to get it because it has a bigger coil but the bliss got it both ways like thear was nothing thear , so I got the Outlaw and its 10x12 DD and it also got the dime - this kinda blew my theory away that small coils do better in trash- the only thing i can think of is the small Iron looks bigger to a small coil and interfears with it more , where the bigger coil ignors the small Iron so it get the coin better -- so maybe i have been cheeting myself by not bringing the bigger coil strange

I'm not sure what you're saying - did you bury the dime with a nail or piece of iron? Also, are you thinking a large coil won't be affected by several or more targets under it at the same time which is more likely, the larger the coil? And are we talking masking like a nail on top or right beside a coin or masking like both targets being separated but under the coil at the same time? It seem pretty obvious to me that a small coil in trash will be less likely to be as plagued by two targets separated a bit compared to a larger one trying to read 2 or more.
BB

Yes BB, you would think the small coil should separate better. I have scratched my head with incidences like Gunnar has experienced, with the f-75's 11" dd and the 5"dd. The bigger coil seemed to do better at getting the old coins from a machine gun trash area. Only thing I can come up with is, the coins were too deep for the 5" in high trash areas. That 11" on the f-75 is a killer coil. I keep trying the small coil in trash areas and always come away wishing I had the 11" on the end, from the get go.... Go figure.

I know what you are saying Steve.-----My wife & I had that same thing happen in an area we were hunting.----I was using an F-75 with a 5" coil & she was using a F-75 with the 11" coil.---We were both hunting & went over the same exact area on that hunt (it was in heavy trash).---I thought I was really going to "clean up" in there with that 5" coil.---When we were done, she had wheat back after wheat back & I had basically very little, I think I did find a foreign coin.------Maybe I wasn't "holding my mouth right" but sometimes you seem to get those kind of results.------Generally speaking though, in heavy trash there just isn't any substitute for a small coil.-------I guess the best thing to do is hunt those kind of areas with both coils & from at least two different directions, then you at least feel like you have "covered the bases".------I don't ever want to know how much good stuff I have left in the trash----I'd never get done bawlin! :tongue:------Think that can be said of all of us, you gotta know it's there before you can find it.----There's a LOT of good stuff in that trash!
Steve O said:
Yes BB, you would think the small coil should separate better. I have scratched my head with incidences like Gunnar has experienced, with the f-75's 11" dd and the 5"dd. The bigger coil seemed to do better at getting the old coins from a machine gun trash area. Only thing I can come up with is, the coins were too deep for the 5" in high trash areas. That 11" on the f-75 is a killer coil. I keep trying the small coil in trash areas and always come away wishing I had the 11" on the end, from the get go.... Go figure.

Well, after reading the responses and thinking about it, seems likely that in some cases the target was probably too deep for the smaller coil, but in others the smaller coil wouldn't pick up deeper trash that a larger coil would. Therefore, it seems it may very well be worth forgetting the theory and hunt the trashy areas with both coil sizes.
BB

I think so to Bill--and have thought that way for some time now.----The larger coils just seems to "light up" targets (sometimes) in trash that the small ones miss (vice versa also).----Would just ad (again) to what you said to work at least two directions with the different sizes of coils.------Also, to take it a step further---if you have the time (and equipment)-----hunt that same way thru those areas with different detectors & different sizes of coils for them to---they can sometimes "see" things that the other ones don't.-----That works in gold (nuggie) hunting & can work in this situation also.------Working heavy trash isn't easy & takes a lot of patience if you're doing it right--but it can be productive.------Sometimes I can only handle this kind of hunting for just so long--depends on my mind set & mood.----If it gets over whelming, I find less trashy areas.-----Other times I seek out those extremely trashy areas to hunt.---------Del
BarberBill said:
Well, after reading the responses and thinking about it, seems likely that in some cases the target was probably too deep for the smaller coil, but in others the smaller coil wouldn't pick up deeper trash that a larger coil would. Therefore, it seems it may very well be worth forgetting the theory and hunt the trashy areas with both coil sizes.
BB

Patience definitely plays a big part in this hobby. I often do the "dig it all" thing when I first start detecting an area, but after the gazillionith pull tab, I begin to cherry pick a bit.
BB

Also the 7" coil might be having more troube because the 5" depth is a target that is closer to the max depth of the coil than it would be for the larger coils.

I think DD coils thwart multiple target interference to a certain point.
Multiple targets shouldn't be an issue unless they are in line with the center axis and the detector has decent recovery speed.

The question I have about the title post is,
Is the dime fresh buried, or is it an aged plant?

My Badger brother and I both have found that MANY detectors even with different coil arrangements doesn't like fresh buried coins. He fresh planted some coins and his F75 wouln't hit on them at all, but his Tejon hit them perfect! then a short time later the Tejon wouldn't respond on them? I'm not sure how that is going now, but those plants would now be getting a little age to them.

I had a six inch coin garden that never worked right with ANY detector, even after a year of being in the ground?
I have an 8" that now works good!
I have two 7" nickels that's near a year old and neither is acting right with any detector I have yet?

And yes! before I buried them I tried to clean any other metal targets out that were close to them. Minerals here is about average?

Also, I've had a problem with fresh buried coins down to around 4" beyond that and they get iffy about a detector hitting them at all.

Mark

I buried the dime at 5" fresh, should have been no problem but a small Iron was near as i could only hit it one way but the 10x12 could hit it fine both ways, I know its harder to pinpoint in trash with a big coil and bigger Iron will mask

It's great that you brought this to everybodys attention.It goes to show that detecting is more about variables than set rules.Soil conditions,coil size,depth of target,frequency of machine etc can all play a part in providing surprising results.This is why the saying of "one machine can't do it all" is so true and why where one machine will work well another will not.You have just shown everybody who reads this post that people who say they have the best machine on the market are living in fantasy land.Great post.

Was your ground fairly mineralized?? Seems like large DD coils deal with ground minerals better than small DD coils, thus the large coil will sometimes hit harder on targets. The small Concentric coil does do better than the large Concentric in iron.