Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

masking

jhettel

Went to one of my civil war sites in Missouri the other day. I have really hunted this hard and it is getting hard to find good stuff. Square nails everywhere, but I know the seated coins and ofher relics are nearby, probably need a smaller coil.

Got one good target on a hillside in the pasture. Dug the hole out and went over the clump of dirt and nothing. Went over the hole and nothing. Figured something wrong here. I grabbed the dirt clod and broke it open and out rolled out a .58 musket ball. Went over the hole again and had a nice target again. Reached down into the hole and pulled out a big long old nail about six inches long. Never had this happen before, they were canceling each other out after I had dug the hole. I might add that after I dug the hole the dirt clod was sitting right over the area where the nail was located.

I use a Tejon and have found a ton of relics with it, so much in fact that my DFX is gathering dust

The weight and bulk of the DFX, MXT etc. eliminates some of the "fun" factor that we get from using our Tesoros. I find my MXT a very capable detector, but end up swinging my Tesoros more because of those factors.
HH
BB

THers know.

Your experience is very very common.

Many of the super deep dug coins/relics are found by accident due to someone getting a coin type sound from deep large iron. Thus the stories about digging eagle buttons at 22 inches, etc.

What many people don't realize is even just common ground minerals mask out nonferrous targets. The deeper the target the more the masking. I've dug lots of coins and buttons that on the surface sounded exactly like trash metal. All those minerals between me and the target made the target into a piece of trash.

When we're hunting 58's or buttons we're mostly interested in the right kinds of "ticks" "crackles" "snaps"...etc., etc.

At most heavily hunted relic sites today 9 out of 10 period coins and personal items such as rings are buried on edge and only give a signal one way. And often that signal starts as a "tick" sound on the surface.

Tesoros are famous for overloading on surface signals. One day I dug a Large Cent and didn't know it until I returned and found it laying by the spot where I had dug the hole and lost the signal months before.

Good job and keep up the good work.

--kid

:smoke:I want kid and jettel on my team!.oh yah,also that cool chick over on metal detecting forum i want her on my team too,she looks like she could handle herself pretty good.I am staring up a treasure team!.I know,not with a pink rake!,I'll give it to cool girl!.Chucky.