Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Master Hunter 7 ADS

Markmac

Hello im getting back in to metal detecting and just bought a Garrett Master Hunter 7 ads of ebay,i know its an older model but years ago i owned a master hunter ads and wished i never got rid of that one im old school i guess and also own a 25 year old Tesoro Royal Sabre thats in mint condition. I guess its something about takng these old dogs out to hunt and the quality of those older machines i cant seem to get away from.Yes i understand a new ace 250 or fisher or Tesoro models can be bought for so much less then these older machine sold for new but the history of these older ones hold value to me.this garrett seems to be in excellent shape with two coils.I will have to re learn that Master Hunter machine but im looking forward to using one of them again along with my Royal Sabre.Any comments are welcome good or negative lol on this machine or any tips you care to share......May we all recover some history ...Markmac

Markmac, That machine still is a good machine, I love mine, it sure loves silver! It tells you the denomination and even counts it for you, well almost.
Here is a good tip: Learn how to ground balance it well, flip it into auto, discrimination set shy at around foil and the rings will follow.
They have some nice 9v rechargeable lithium ion batteries now which saves battery cost in the long run.

Here is some depth test about the deepest analog detectors: http://n2.nabble.com/Pictures-of-my-X-100-and-X-200-td4424883.html#a4424883

Happy Hunting!

PennyFinder

Markmac, I bought my 7 ADS brand new with two coils, then bought the 4" coil, the 1 " probe and the Blood Hound two-box deepseeker. I've had nothing but fun and good luck with it all these years. In an earlier post, I mentioned purchasing the 250 and 2500 within the last year, but still use the ADS 7 occasionally, especially for pinpointing. They are well-built machines, and I personally feel that they will do anything the newer ones will, perhaps with a little less finesse, but a detectorist is never at a disadvantage with an ADS 7. Happy hunting. Jugg

Congrats on getting another ADS!:cheers:I've never owned one, but I know they're great machines!:garrett::detecting:

Here's a link to the field test from Lost Treasure magazine.
http://www.losttreasure.com/node/5349

Here's a link to the owner's manual.
http://www.garrett.com/hobby/manuals2/Master-Hunters-7X-and-10X.pdf

Best of luck to ya!:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Thanks for the comments everyone and the links to reviews and air tests for the Master hunter ads7.keep the comments coming .lets see how many people still use these or have anything to say about these older garrett machines.Im not even sure what the value is of these older Master Hunter 7s but i think it will be fun to swing one again even with the wieght of the older but well built Garretts.....Markmac

That MH ADS 7 is one hot machine. It can out perform a lot of detectors produced today. It's just a little costlier on batteries and heavy, but nothing wrong with a good workout. :)

I agree with you John yes its heavier and im older then when i had my first Master Hunter but as you said a good work out is Ok lol.If it turns out to be in as good as condition as it seems to be i know i will be very pleased for what i paid for it...Thanks Markmac

You've got a fine old machine that will reward you well. I owned a slew of Tesoros including all the Sabres and the Royal was one of my favorites. Wish I still had it along with my old Bandidos and a few others. You'll do fine and you won't be missing all that much by not owning one of the new " Gee Whiz" models. Keep us posted on your progress and pics of your finds. Good uck.

Bill.

You'll get used to it and before long you won't even notice it. I've been at this 45 years or so and grew up swinging all those big old clubs.

Bill

Uncle Willy thanks for your posts and im looking forward to having another piece of history like the Master Hunter 7 to go with my Tesoro Royal Sabre.Something about those older machines in nice shape that you can still hunt with.Myabe its just the feeling of still pulling coins out of the ground with machines made over 20 years ago, makes it a little more rewarding in some ways.Im sure the newer machines from garrett and Tesoro are more advanced and maybe a little deeper but its kind of like having an old harley or older Muscle car something that people say hey I remember those i use to own one myself.I too always regretted getting rid of my old Master hunter deepseeker.Good luck to every one and thanks for the comments they are always good reading and hope to hear from more of you out there....Markmac

Excellent point PennyFinder,I like that phrase and it holds a lot of truth.Wish the snow and cold here in Illinois would dissapear lol...Hunt safe and have fun...Markmac

Find yourself a scoobie doo suit like John-Edmonton does and hit the toboggan hills, he does pretty well there. Besides the MH7 analog dial has no problem in cold weather and the discreet circuitry gives off enough heat to keep the batteries warm like an old tube radio, well almost! The MH7 is a rugged machine though for sure...just like the men who swing them!

"DON'T BE A GIRLY-MAN WIT DENTAL FLOSS ARMS, AND PUMP UP!" " COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE !!!" "GET TO THE CHOPPA"

PennyFinder

Hello All. New member on this forum although I've been lurking for quite a while - finally decided it was time to "join up". I've been using a Garrett ADS Deepseeker since I bought my first one at Stan and Pat's Gold Shop in Auburn, CA back in September, 1980. I broke that one, but bought another in a shop in Gettysburg, PA in 2003. I used the original all over the place to include Germany when stationed there in the Air Force in the early/mid/late 80's. Found all kinds of things including Roman coins and other ancient things I can't even describe. Also found literally "tons" of munitions in the Ardennes Forest and in the Hurtgen Forest (honest, I wasn't looking for shells, etc). I broke down and bought an ACE 250 about a month and a half ago and while very lightweight, I still prefer my "old faithful." When the ADS says there's something there - there's something there. I know it's signals like I know the back of my hand. I've gotten better with the 250, but all the noise it makes is too distracting to me personally. I've looked at many of the other detectors out there, but I just couldn't leave Garrett (too much good luck, and outstanding service). I think I'm gonna stick with the ADS and maybe "donate" the ACE 250 to my granddaughter who loves going out with me.

Hey There Pappydoodle, a big hearty welcome to the forum!:clapping:
Still have my ol' Deepseeker ADS and my ADS 7. In all metal the Deepseeker actually is deeper than the 7 ADS. These detectors find rings real nice on the dry beaches beach. Lots of coil selection too! What accessory coils do you have and which coil do you like best? I like the 10".
The language of sounds these old analog detectors make once learned, really gives you more information to work with as opposed to the new digital machines response of an on and off beep. What do you need headphones for on the new digital machines, where all you need is a on/off light or a vibrator in the handle, all the beeps sound alike.
Plus these ol' girls handle the bad ground real well and are very sensitive to silver coins, with a quick response.
Everybody complains of the weight of these machines but mine is so balanced well, I can hold it with my index finger.
Sure love how it disassembles into a small gym bag and not one of those rifle cases saving a lot of space in the camper.:biggrin:

PennyFinder:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

[size=large]PennyFinder

I have the 7 and 10 inch coils. Depends on where I'm searching as to which one I use. The weight doesn't bother me either way. I've been using these things so long that the ACE 250 almost seems uncontrollable at times it's so light. I'm looking at an ADS 7X on Ebay right now as well as another original ADS Deepseeker. Since you have both, which do you prefer best? Does the 7 do things better than the original? I know the 7 has more bells and whisltes, but if there's not that big a difference, then I just stay with the ADS original. Thanks ans stay safe !!!

Pappydoodle [/size]

I have too say i love my old ADS 7 it had x10 on it dont know why but its a gold finder,I dont think i found as many rings with any other detector.I have been using the whites v3
for about a year now and i have to say i often think about getting a Garrett ADS 7.Man what a detector....I think ill start looking for one my self..Happy hunting....