Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Master Hunter Line

Markmac

Hello to all,my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes lol and i was wondering what other peoples thoughts and views may be on why we dont see a Master Hunter detector offered from Garrett any longer. I think last oct was the last build dates for those is what i think the lady at garrett told me on the phone.It got me thinking here is a certain line of detectors that always seemed to be Mr Garretts favorite over the years,all the different master hunters offered over the last 30 years and there have been many.So im thinking why,could it be that most the other detectors in their line basically come from the same platform meaning the control housing are all much smller and close to the same compaired to the Master Hunter platform being bigger and the cost of one detector to cover the costs compaired to stretching the cost of the other plarform over the rest of what they offer was one thought i had.The second thought is all the rest of the line the ace250 the gtp 1350 the gti1500 and 2500 are they all that much more superior in performance and technology then the Master Hunter cx plus which was the last one offered and im thinking No i doubt that but i maybe wrong have been a few times before lol.Third thought was maybe they are thinking of bringing a new Master Hunter line out this spring and that could be.It just seemed odd to me that they would drop their long standing Master Hunter line unless sales had dropped with popularity of the lighter units and the cost ratio of producing them.Hope to hear from some of you and i wish You all great hunting this season....Markmac

All I know about it is, I recently contacted Garrett by e-mail and I was told the Master Hunter CX Plus has been discontinued, and there may be some stock still left at dealers if a person wants to buy one.

Why have they have stopped making the Master Hunter line, I do not know?

But I do know that Garrett is due for a new detector, as the GTI 2500 is an 'old in the tooth' platform, even with the size imaging, being the only detector having that.

I also wrote and told Garrett to make a new model Scorpion Gold Stinger with FastTrac type automatic ground balancing, then having both Manual and Auto GB. They already have FastTrac auto ground balancing technology on the GTI 2500. So then put this same FastTrac techonlogy on a new gold prospecting unit.

Hi Dave thanks for the reply,makes you wonder doesnt it since the Master Hunter has always been the gold standard of the Garrett line it seems to me and one of Mr garretts personal favorites.I agree with you that some models being around as long as they have been are due for an update so maybe we will see a new Master Hunter in the works soon or could be that line is gone forever with it being the only detector using that platform unless they change it to be similiar to the other models.Would be nice to know the reason why its gone from the line up,hopefully we will hear from others their thoughts and views..Thanks again...Markmac

David I told Garrett the same thing about updating the Scorpion. Also I think maybe that the MH CX plus just wasnt selling very well any more with all the new offerings from all the other detector companies.

Alan

E Bay has around 30 or so Master Hunter's up for sale...in case someone was looking.:usaflag:

Hi McDave yesi have noticed those Master Hunter cx Plus on ebay new for 509.00 which seems to be a decent buy for what you get if they are as good if not better then the others that Garrett still sells....There has to be a certain reason they no longer build them,its kind of sad you know to see such a main stay like the Master Hunter to go away......Markmac

Maybe the lousy economy forced them to cut a product. You wouldnt think they would cut one of the favorites. Then again..the way the Ace's are selling maybe they're going to stick with what sells better.:usaflag:

Thanks Markmac and Alan, my first was a Bouty Hunter BFO in about 1973, but my first Garrett was the Gold Hunter in about 1986, then had a A3B, 1000, and GTI 2500. So I would like to see Garrett make a new prospecting machine with the Scorpion Gold Stinger updated with FastTrack Auto GB. Garrett are among the first to start the electronic gold rush in the 1970's, with both machines and books. A Garrett unit found the biggest known nugget with a metal detector, the Hand of Faith nugget in 1980.

Yes the Infinium LS is great. But a nice very lightweight & hip-mountable(also maybe waterproof) new model with both Manual & Auto GB, VLF Garrett prospecting unit would be good to come out with the high gold prices now.

I thought about buying a MH CX Plus(with the 2-box attachment) for both nostalgic reasons and to use.

David not a bad idea buying one of the Master Hunter cx Plus for nostalgic reasons if this happens to be the last ones made,dont have that answer yet maybe others know and would comment on here.I wonder how much different the cx plus is compaired to the Master Hunter cx3 before it ...Markmac

Yeah it's been around a long time and was getting a little long in the tooth and its sales couldn't come close to the other units especially the hot selling 250.

Bill

Uncle Willy Thanks for the comment your right the success of the Ace 250 has been a marketing marvel,it shows that you can offer a wondeful machine at a price point that most can afford and i tip my hat to Garrett for the success and the foresight to be the first to offer a machine that does everything the ace 250 has and still does with its popularity.maybe change is a good thing and thats why they have dropped the Master Hunter line or could be the cost factor of just that one unit using that platform and housing compaired to the other units.I will say great job Garrett on all the years of success on the Master Hunter line,some of us will miss it......Markmac

Markmac said:
David not a bad idea buying one of the Master Hunter cx Plus for nostalgic reasons if this happens to be the last ones made,dont have that answer yet maybe others know and would comment on here.I wonder how much different the cx plus is compaired to the Master Hunter cx3 before it ...Markmac

The CX Plus is quite a bit different than the CXlll. They are both great machines. I don't use the CX Plus, but I do have the CXlll as well as the CXll and the original Grand Master Hunter.
For some reason, Garrett's made the CXlll really differently than the rest of the Grand Master Hunter line. It's really(like)a GTA machine. In fact, when the CXlll came out in '92 it was touted as an improvement to the Ultra GTA 1000.
The CXlll uses all the same search coils as the CX Plus and it has the same body style, however there are many differeces. For instance, the CXlll does not have the dual range discrimination knobs like the other Grand Master Hunters. Instead it has a notch discrimination similar to the GTA, GTP and GTI machines. It also features a beach hunting mode with salt elimination as well as three programmable custom hunting modes, coins mode, all metal and true all metal with manual or auto ground balancing. The CXlll also has a treasure talk feature like the GTI 2500 use to have.

Here are some helpful links.

Field test report on CX Plus from Lost Treasure magazine online:
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-metal-detectors-master-hunter-cx-plus

Field test reports on CXlll from Lost Treasure magazine online:
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-electronics-grand-master-hunter-cx-iii

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-grand-master-hunter-cx-iii

Best of luck to ya':biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Hi Metalhead thanks for the comparisons on the different Master Hunters.I have personally wondered if the cxlll wasnt a better overall machine then the last cx plus they just stopped making last oct.I have an ads7 but may try to pick up a cxlll or cx plus some day and sell the ads7 who knows.Would be nice to keep one Master Hunter detector around but maybe thats my age talking lol...have a great day everyone...Markmac

One thing I really didn't like about the CX+ was the LCD approximation of an analogue gauge. In that respect, I like the older models much better. Look at the White's lineup and how people are griping about them dropping the SL Pro. ..Willy.