Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Matrix Reef McIntyre: Interested how you would hunt this area.

karelian

This area is in Victoria Australia. I would be interested in how experienced US prospectors would tackle this area. Could prove an interesting case study and learning tool. Hoping it may prove interesting at the least to highlight the areas open to prospecting downunder.

My own logic tells me to detect around the reef and follow the ground on the slopes down into the gullies. The slopes are shallow so the hillside should be the priority? Look for areas less steep or that may slow or trap gold? Maybe the workings in No.1 gully which can be detected? Might get lucky and the piles may contain gold that was missed. What about the heads of the gullies and areas above the reef? Very interested in others views. Always ready to learn..

It falls within an area designated for prospecting so detecting is allowed within the McIntyre Historical Area. The Matrix Reef is marked by 4 deep shafts as well as one large open cut and several smaller cuts near the top of a hill. No. 0 Gully, No.1 Gully and No.2 Gully run from Matrix Reef. It also fed Old Woman's Gully and John's Patch. All produced nuggety gold at depths ranging from a few inches, a couple feet to 12 feet. The head of No. 0 No. 1 and a portion of No.2 gullies fall within the reserve and can be detected but much is on private property and unavailable. All the shafts and open cuts are inside the reserve and most of the slopes leading into all the gullies are also able to be prospected.
Old Womans Gully is able to be prospected but John's Patch is on private property and unavailable. For example the +66 or +65 on the map mark nuggets.
Matrix Reef was discovered when prospectors discovered large shallow nuggets and specimens on both the surface and a few inches deep.
The reef was eroding and shedding large quantities of gold. Specimens over a thousand ounces and nuggets in the hundreds of ounces. Countless smaller pieces were never recorded. First map clearly shows reef workings and shafts, creeks and nugget location. Second map give better idea of the slope of the land.

These images show the slope looking up towards the top of the hill and the Matrix Reef workings. Images of the open cuts, shafts.

The hillside appears to be 'shallow' with trees suffering as a result. The slope on the hill varies with some areas almost flat in spots.

Most of No.1 Gully is available to prospectors and seems to have enjoyed the most attention. The areas around the open cuts and shafts which mark Matrix Reef also appear to have been the focus of attention, just going by the number of unfilled holes..
The actual hillside and the heads of No.2 and No.0 gullies as well as the slopes leading into them have had no obvious signs of detecting outside of 'worked' areas.

The images are of No.1 Gully at the base of the hill.

If nothing else I hope it gives prospectors some insight into the areas we in Australia have available to us. Helps if we fill in our holes..
I would certainly welcome any insight into how others may view such an area.

All the best,
Karelian

I can't help but to also imagine how much the terrain has changed through all those millions of years since the gold was introduced.? Today we see the obvious places to search due to weathering but "mother nature" has had millions of years to bend, shape and toss that terrain around hiding the gold. Guess that could explain the reason sometimes gold is found where you would not expect it.? Enjoyed the pics and good luck testing the area :thumbup:

I like to go where gold has been found, but not necessarily where it has been dug. In other words branch out. If everyone has been digging on this side of the hill, go the the other side and test.if every one is using a metal detector, try a drywasher. And do what no one else is doing (fill in your holes)

I am with BobOso here as well, go where the gold has been found then branch out from there. That is what I do here in Calif and Nevada. Going in cold hunting areas with no old timer workings has not been profitable for me at all though I have tried it a few times. I think time is much better spent starting out where the old timers found gold.