Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MattR, Capt Kirk, and All

Cody

MattR and Capt Kirk,

Assume various soils that contain no refined metal. Some of the soil may be what is often called heavily mineralized some medium, and other very light to neutral. Do you have any idea what the signal emanating from the search head would resemble in the varous soil minerals?

Those little lines and shapes used in PR material don

Cody,

From all of the posts I have reviewed on this and other boards, your posts always seem to be the most relative to any and actually the most important ones on the forum. The analysis that you do, and your theories and in facts are ones to be truly considered, concerning soil flux, matrix, composition of depth and detector abilities. You have increased my knowledge in many of these areas by leaps and bounds which would actually take me years to learn as based upon trial and error.

Are you still using the Explorer and have you used the T2?

Cody,

What do you mean by "refined metal"?

I also think that how homogeneous the matrix is will be a bigger factor than how much mineralization is present in the matrix. But, that opinion does not reflect much thought on my part.

My own personal opinion is that Pulse Induction has the greatest prospects for deeper detection. The real challenge here may be in developing a good discrimination technique.

Have you purchased a T2? I am still quite far down the learning curve on this detector.

HH,
Glenn

I guess refined would be metal that has been altered from it's natural state by man. Just about the time I was ready for a T2 the F75 was announced so thought I would wait for it to hit the market. I frankly don't know what to think now but do plan to get the F75 simply to have the latest one.

Kirk, I want to point out that you, MattR, and Jeff Foster taught me as much as I could digest about detectors. I am more like the kid in class that asks questions all the time that drives the teacher up the walls.

I am very happy with the SE so there is no "detector fever" to deal with. Although only modest changes between the SE and EX11 they were ones I thought should be done so I am a happy camper but want to give the F75 a shot. I am pretty impressed with any machine that will do a good job in the iron infested ground of the UK as reported by MattR.

I have been away for a while so am not sure if the F75 or T2 is a good beach detector. I kind of don't see them for that purpose from what little I have read. It seems to me that you hunt the beaches and may be having some problem with the T2 for that purpose.

Cody,

I have only had the T2 since mid-Oct 2006. I have not had it on the beach (especially the salt water beaches that I hunt when in California). From what I have expected and read, the VLF detectors are problematic on salt water beaches because of the need to ground balance very frequently to be effective. But, In the dry sand they should be great because of the light weight, fast recovery and sweep speed.

HH,
Glenn

Hi Cody,

You are right about the soil matrix warping the detection field and it does change as the soil matrix changes. I know I was quite suprised by how much the field actually changes from air to in ground.

Air tests will typically show a bowl shaped detection field. Ground mineralization will warp this field, the degree of warp dependant on the degree of mineralization. There was a guy that posted some tests on his website for the Garrett GTi-2500 that really show this.

But that was in his soil. I have done my own tests in my ground and it is a very real factor. You may be swinging along thinking you are getting a 3" detection pattern at the 7" mark, when in reality at 7" you are getting a dime size detection pattern or maybe even just a pinpoint. Half coil overlaps are leaving lots of targets in that type of mineralized ground.

Thats one of the reasons I prefer using DD coils. Its easy to see the warp and determine what the overlap should be for a certain depth while on site. Concentrics are more dificult to gage without carrying devices on site to help.

HH

oh my god not again i remember the war of words between matt and cody when the dfx was still a newcomer .looks like its going the same way again ,:starwars:

I have the greatest respect and admiration for the professional knowledge and experiences of MattR, Jeff Foster, Glenn, and many others on the forums. There have never been any intentions on my part to have a word battle with any of them but rather to ask questions and offer suggestions in the hope of learning more. MattR, Jeff, and Glenn are engineers and I really appreciate communicating with them as the gaps in my own professional education are filled in by these exchanges.

I don

Cody is a dear friend, and has my greatest respect.

He is one of the gentlemen of the American forums.

To debate or disagree is not fault or necessarily a sign of aggression.

I suppose that we all loose our cool occasionally, but hopefully it doesn't become a habit.

It all depends upon how we express ourselves, and Cody is ALWAYS considerate and polite.

Funny you use that term.... Only a week or so ago, my grand-children pulled a Christmas-cracker and out popped a piece of paper asking, 'What is the meaning of...'de ja vu'. Is that where you got it from?

If so, then I know where you bought your Christmas crackers from !

..................Love to all..........MattR.UK