Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Matty fixed my excal and Japan finds

Got one of my xcals back recently from Matty St Germain. Excellent work. Thanks and good to go. Took it with me to Japan for a layover. Day one only had three hours but the silver was everywhere. 27 rings and only one gold. By the way, when my xcals were in the shop I took my surfmaster PI to a sandbar on a lake nearby. Glad I did. Mama loves her big diamonds. 1.03 kts. Tired of my old yellow headphones. Anybody sell a more comfortable set that is replaced just by unscrewing the end cap and putting new ones on. I’ll post what turns up today a little further south on a different beach. Good fortune to all,

Nice going !

On my second day I decided to head down south to a resort beach called Shirahama. The beach consists of imported white sand. I wanted to detect the low water mark where rocks accumulate due to the surf action. Unfortunately, the last couple of typhoons have pulled much of the sand off the beach and onto the rocks. I decided to concentrate on the areas where the sand had been pulled away and on the high points of the dry sand on what little of the beach that was left. My average was terrible. Over 400 coins to 2 junk rings. Seems every third step or so another coin. I kept anticipating the gold but it never happened. I did however find a solar watch and a silver feather necklace. Total yen count was around 280 thousand yen. That’s around 250$. The coins come in 500, 100, 10, 5, and 1yen. Finding a 500 yen coin is like finding 4.50$. The picture is of the 100 and 50 yen coins I couldn’t redeem in the hotel due to their condition. Eventually I’ll be able to use the coins because Japan is a nation of vending machines on every corner and has an excellent train system that readily accepts coins. This was the first time I used my new carbon fiber handle scoop. A highly recommended inve$tment. I could have never dug that many coins using any other kind of handle and still been able to walk.

Great job.

Question for you: Of the 400 coins you got, what percentage of them were the 500 yen coins ?

Crazy that .... even on a day there when someone "only gets coins" (no good rings), that it's still a decent hunt. D/t the face values add up so high because of the higher denomination coins.

I reread my post. My bad, 28 thousand yen. Of the 400 or so coins 24 were 500 yen. So about 15 percent. Every 100 yen is about 90 cents US so a 500 yen coin is worth around 4.50$. The 100 yen and 10 yen are very similar in size but the 100 yen weighs more. Slightly more 100 yen(about160 of them) were found. I stayed away from the real soft sand near the water because the ground was littered with the light 10 yen coins. Many were visible to the naked eye similar to pull tabs due to their weight I suppose. Surprisingly, only 40 or so 50 yen coins. And a five yen coin is normally so corroded they go in the trash. Very very few 1 yen coins. All of the coins make a distinctive sound but I dig them all due to gold coming in at many sounds as well. The 100 yen sounds very soft and sweet like gold a couple of inches down. The 500 sounds like a gold class ring or a big silver ring. I had my hopes up on every single dig but it just never happened that day. C’est la vie. Bill.

Thanx for the added info ! Ok , now an additional question:

I have examples of all the Japanese current clad coins. And when air-testing them on a good TID machine (Explorer, for instance), they all give distinct TID coordinate readings on the graph and #'s. So ... if person is in an area with SO many clad coins, as you describe, then what's to stop someone from simply notching in those 500 & 100 yen coins ? And editing OUT pulltabs, and the lower yen coins ?

Yes I know that would kiss gold rings goodbye (well, unless they came in at the 500 & 100 yen coordinates).

I realize that it's normally folly to risk missing gold rings when beach hunting. And I realize that hunting for "clad" is normally boring. But in the case of Japan, since you guys have those higher denominations, then .... Seems to me that there might be a situation where it's actually worth just shooting for coins.

Example: There was a time here in my state of CA, where I stumbled upon a place that was just RIDDLED with clad. But it only dated to the late 1960s. Hence not old enough for silver coins. And there was enough foil and tabs that it would have been wasting time to angle for gold rings. But there was just SO much coins, that I set my Whites eagle to accept only quarters and up. And within a few hours, I had over 100 quarters.

Obviously.... since they are only worth .25c, it was still essentially a waste of time. But if the same conditions could be replicated in Japan, and a person could do the same thing with the 500 & 100 yen coins, then it seems to me that this could be a good strategy.

And by testing those 2 coins TID's, you will see that some types of gold and platinum rings could register in those ranges anyhow.

What do you think ?

Your idea is perfectly sound and would work great. For me though, digging coin after coin is not what I’m after. I’ll take wadded up foil, pull tabs, pieces of aluminum, fishing weights, anything non iron, if there is the possibility of that wonderful, shiny gold ring, laying in all its splendor in the bottom of my scoop. There is no way I know to replicate that feeling of being a child and running into the living room and seeing presents under the tree after all my friends had told me there was no Santa Claus. That’s what it feels like to me when I recover a gold ring. I’ve lost track of the gold and silver I’ve found. Many sold, many given away, but, everyone gave me a little rush. That’s why I do it. I’ll admit it, I’m addicted to fishing, hunting, and metal detecting. Could be worse things. Good fortune to you. Bill.

Ok, next questions:

1) I realize that md'ing is not a big hobby in Japan. It's simply not in their culture, from what I hear. I've bumped into Japanese tourists here, when md'ing the beach, and they are totally mystified as to what I am doing. When they finally get a grasp of it (because they watch me dig a coin or something), they are EQUALLY as mystified as to why anyone, in his right mind, would be doing this. And I was told that this is just a cultural thing. And thus the reason that not much md'ing is going on there (except for perhaps some American Ex-pats ).

Is this characterization true , from what you've seen there ?

2) For those persons there who are hunting the beaches, do you know if any of them are wise to erosion-chasing techniques ? Or do they just simply ply the sand (whether wet or dry) at any random times ? Because when the erosion conditions are *just right*, there would be zero tabs, foil, etc.... Only heavy items like coins, sinkers, rings, etc..... Since the sand is being washed out, and leaving only the heavy items behind.

Because seeing as how the Japanese are fond of their 22k, 24k, and plat, then I can only imagine how good those-type conditions would be.

There is an American Ex-pat I know, who lives in Tokyo (which, unfortunately, is not near any beaches, except some man-made ones). He mail-ordered a detector, but didn't know what the heck he was doing. And made the mistake of ordering a nugget machine. Doh! Nonetheless, he took it to a beach on the coast somewhere over @ Choshi or Kamisu area. He was/is dependent on public transportation (as everyone there tends to rely on mass transit). So he didn't really have a choice of times or beaches, and ... as said ... had no idea what he was doing. Still though, he managed a few dozen coins and a gold ring ! He was hooked.

He also tried the nugget machine on a beach closer to Tokyo, in the Tokyo bay. Unfortunately however, it was all man-made beach. Which had been built on "fill material" that comes from earth-moving projects. Ie.: they dump rubble out into the water, over the decades, that makes the shoreline extend out further. Then cover it with a foot of sand or whatever, and ... presto, a man-made beach. But the trouble is that the rip-rap , concrete, rubble, dirt, etc... that was trucked in and dump, contains ENDLESS little bits of wire, slag, etc.... So ... he crossed that beach off his list :)

When he came to the USA to visit his family, we hooked up and I sold him an Explorer. That's when I got a sampling of all the Japanese coins. And he told me of how Japanese tend to frown on *mere* 14k and 18k. That it's 22k, 24k, or platinum. At least for wedding rings anyhow. Perhaps other jewelry isn't so pure.

He's invited me to join him any time I care to go there. But I think he got out of the hobby soon thereafter, d/t health issues. So I've lost touch with him. But have always wanted to .... someday, do some md'ing there. One of my hunting buddies here is bi-lingual in Japanese, so ... he and I are scheming to some day put together a trip :)

Tom, I’m not an expat. I have a home in Tennessee and North Carolina. I’m an airline pilot so when a I have long enough layovers to the right places I tote my gear. Been dragging my gear around the world for 20 years. I’ve only seen one expat doing it in Japan and he was from Canada. He turned me on to the Ukrainian scoop I have. As for your questions; I guess it’s just what one, no matter the country, has been exposed to. As for the Japanese, say a guy left an umbrella in a 7-11. Normally that umbrella will be there a week later. Leave one in China or the US and it’ll be gone before closing time. I don’t think Japanese have the phrase finders keepers in their lexicon. Everywhere else I’ve travelled it’s definitely finders keepers mentality. I’ve had many Japanese look at me like what the hell, but not because of culture, I think they’ve just never seen a detector. I had one older fellow swim up to me and offer me a no shit clam because he thought I was digging shellfish. I guess he thought I used the headphones to hear when they coughed. Of all my travels, the Japanese impress me with their politeness. I’ve seen Japanese Dads explain to their kids what I’m doing( because they’ve seen a detector before) and when I show them a coin they all smile and come much closer showing much excitement. I’ve had mainland Chinese in Hong Kong follow me as if I was the Pied Piper. When I plucked a gold and jade ring out of the water in they were as elated as I was. They definitely had never seen a metal detector. The local Hong Kong residents all know what a detector is. They’ve seen them on tv if not in person. There are I’m sure some Expats over here that do it often, heard some might be on the Friendly forum. I don’t know, I don’t frequent that forum. I’m detecting mostly bay beaches not over on the ocean so not a huge current thing. Shirahama has breakers, Osaka does not. As for the quality of gold. I’ve been to Hawaii and found a ring with a Japanese girls name inside. Nice little platinum number. Only found one platinum over here. Seems I find mostly silver and junk. From observing thousands of Japanese in the city’s and on the subways, they just don’t wear jewelry the way we do. Koreans, they wear a lot. And big rings too. My best quality gold rings have come from Singapore. I believe it is from the better off Chinese and Korean tourists. Believe it or not my highest karat value gold has been from Singapore as well. I believe it is from the high population of Indians. I’ve noticed in India even some of the poorest Indians I see wear gold Jewelry. And it is always a minimum of 18 kt. Me personally, I’d never pay for a trip to go to Japan and detect. I’d head to resort islands anywhere in the Pacific. Long reply but I’ve brain dumped about all I know. In Osaka still. Runway is underwater. Bridge is still being looked into after tanker smashed into it. Don’t know when I’ll be heading home. Carnage from Typhoon Jebi on Tuesday. Would be out detecting but company wants me hanging close to hotel. Good fortune, Bill.

Thanx for the excellent reply Bill ! Now you've got me wanting to add a stop in Singapore, on to my travel itinerary , haha. Now if only I was a pilot like yourself, so that I wouldn't be saddled with expensive flight ticket costs, doh ! :blink: