Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maximum Depth You Have Gotten On A Nickle. A Guy Told Me 14"-15"

In all my many years of detecting and owning darn near every detector made, I have never hit a nickle at 14" or more.
He is not happy with that and says he wants to fing a machine that will hit nickles at 18"
I can't help but feel "He's go a dream" LOL
What say ye?

A good corroded nickel can leave a nice big halo, but that depth seems extreme. I have seen the Explorer set up to get some amazing depths. Many people dig a deep hole and don't realize they knocked it out of the side as they were getting deeper. So they think they dug it that deep. kinda like the guy digging in a field with a spade and get's a signal then digs a 14" deep plug and thinks he dug that IH that deep when it reality it could have been 3". I personally have dug two IH's in one hole at 11" and had a witness at one of the forum hunts we had here. Actually measured them and I know there were in the bottom not knocked out of the side. I have also dug 69 cal. round balls at up to 16" with witnesses also. Love my Explorer! :thumbup:

You can get a lot of depth with Minelab Gold Detectors, but there is no discrimination and you will go mad using them for coins. I have dug old coins on the goldfields with a GPX3500 and GPX4500 at that sort of depth.

I use an Explorer SE for coin detecting and that too will go deep, esecially with the larger 15" Coiltek, so called, WOT coil.

Having dug a million holes over the years, some of them quite deep and some through rock, I wonder why anyone wants even more depth.

Mike has made some very good observations above. Many holes are dug beyond the target as he explains.

One answer to the problem Mike raises is the Garrett Probe. It is a wonderful tool and may be used profitably on every target. It DOES reduce your digging depth as you don't bypass the target, and thus it also reduces your recovery time. The new Minelab Probe is just as good as well.

Yeah...I dont know?..'cept for what Cnyal said..the GPX series?....why I guess is the question? Why does a fellow feel the need to hit a nickel at 18" in FLA?

I would suggest he should hunt strategically and try to get all the nickel tones in the 8" range? I cant imagine digging a signal 18" deep in waist deep water or even on wet sand without a lot of trouble? And then to only find a nickel or tab?

Although...if he asked, he asked for a reason...maybe he knows of a spot where theres tons of gold dubloons! :drool: You might want to go out with him to see what he'd talking about? Careful though...lots of crazy bedbugs out there hunting for gold!:rofl:
Mud

There is such a detector its made in Bulgaria "THE BLISS TOOL -LTC 48" RUNS $1050.95 WITH A COMBO COILS ONE IS 11" AND SUPER DEEP PLUS THE 15" COIL THAT WILL DO 18"--20":yikes:Look them up here on mall.It takes super tuning but they have out done fisher,whites,m/l with just the stock 11 " coil.They are on you tube.The m/l using an e-trac and a 15" coil finally caught up to the 11"bliss tool coil ,but the 15" bliss-tool coil passes everything.

I have never dug any that deep with my x terra . I have dug a few in the 7 inch range with my 18.75 kHz coil .

Chuck said:
In all my many years of detecting and owning darn near every detector made, I have never hit a nickle at 14" or more.
He is not happy with that and says he wants to fing a machine that will hit nickles at 18"
I can't help but feel "He's go a dream" LOL
What say ye?

what hes really saying is he wants the most sensitivity possible to gold rings that fall into the nickel range!! I wonder if he digs foil, tab and penny signals?
chuck, where are you located in fla? im on the spacecoast!

chuck.(yes, my name is also chuck.)

steve in so az said:
How many people would dig targets down to 18 - 20 inches hour after hour ? Steve in so la

The answer is NONE.

This pic below shows a real hole. A genuine hole, and dug in dirt as hard as a politicians heart, but not as black. It took me many hours to dig it over a two day period.

There was NO gold, not even flake. The strong signal came from deeply buried ironstone that, once disturbed by me digging it out, gave no signal at all.

Several people listened to the detectors noise and all said, "You must dig that!" It was such a good sound. But that's one of the joys of prospecting.

Why anyone would want to dig two feet holes tells me that perhaps they have never dug one, at least not in our ironstone country.

I have seen old graves in that part of Australia that are not as deep as my hole. The old-timers just dug them deep enough to bury and that was that.

14-15" on a nickle........highly unlikely with any machine.I've used many detectors over the years including minelabs and I have'nt found any type of coin at those depths.......and over here we have some pretty big coins.The problem is most measure the depths that their targets come out of the ground with a guess and not a tape measure.:biggrin:

I've dug 8-12" w/my X-terra many times on quarter size targets & that's plenty deep enough @ 69 years of age, when you've dug 20-30 holes in a few hours hunt.

And who wants to take time to measure depths when out :detecting: unless a person is doing a test run and doesn't matter on the time or what is found! Besides digging deep holes in parks and yards would be a real good way of getting someone or all outlawed from MD'ing which is happening a lot anyway with ou,r We will tell you where, when, how and what to do gov't anyway! :rant: :angel: Ma

I lost track of the fact that I had made this post.
I won't give out his name, but he is using a Shadow X-5 and says he hits nickles at 14"
I owned an X-5 once and it didn't come close to that for me!
As others have posted: when I see these astronomical depths, I believe the coin fell into the bottom of an over-ly dug hole.
NO DETECTOR witll hit a nickle at 18"
That's my firm belief!
If anyone feels theirs can-I would have to see it happen!