Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

May have solved a 20+ year old missing persons mystery today

I was hunting today around where I found some civil war locks and it seemed to be a dried up marsh or swamp or something. My first dig was an un-fired bullet, second dig a tv chord or some type of chord tied to a piece of heavy iron like an anchor or something of sort. Funny thing the anchor looked like a gun. My last dig... it was a gun. Shocked me seeing how 30 seconds earlier I was talking about a gun and I allready found un-fired bullet. I called the cops out because I new for one it was the right thing to do and for two that there was an investigation about 4-5 years earlier FBI crime scene investigation was out looking for a missing woman who had been missing for 25-30 years or something. My mom knew the girl she said the use to all hang out there. Anyhow I thought that they found the girl when the investigation was going on because I rode by there while they was digging and someone said is that a bone and the cops said yes it is but it turns out that my mom said that they never found her. I actually ended up calling 911 back asking if they was coming because I had been sitting on the old tracks waiting on them for over half an hour. They finally showed up after about 40-45 minutes and I take the cop to the spot where I found it about 30-40 yards away from where they was looking all he said was yep thats a gun thanks for calling. So I say to him did you know that they had an investigation about 4-5 years ago looking for a body of a missing woman who had been missing for over 25-30 years? He said no I didnt know and then he procedes we will probably just send this in to be destroyed I dont think we can get prints off of this. So I say well did you see this? It looks like a make shift anchor maybe it was used to anchor a body down? Or here I got a bullet in my bag I also found. And here heres a penny do you need this??? I mean cmon be more interested in someone whos been missing for 20+ years instead of yeah I guess we will send the gun in to be destroyed.... Do your job and get another team of investigators out here to find this girl.... I got his card to see if they follow up on looking for this girl. A second cop walked up after we were done talking and he asked me how I found it I told him metal detecting he says OH... He seemed more interested than the first cop. The first cops words where this day has been quiet all day until this.. I kind of just looked at him... After talking to the second cop for a minute I grabbed my gear and started walking home. Even metal detecting in places your not supposed to be do not be afraid to call the cops if you find something that needs to be reported. The cops never questioned me about detecting or what I found they were only interested in the gun and getting out of there. I was VERY hessitant on calling the cops knowing I was not supposed to be where I was at. Or at least to my knowledge. Anyhow I could have solved this 20+ year old missing mystery. I hope they send someone out to look again and find her. I know her brother and my mom went to school with him and his sister. I would like to see him happy in knowing that they found his sister and was able to give her the proper burial that she deserves.

I will be posting the video up on the tube in a few check it out.

the last pic was a pic of what I thought was a gun and turned out to be a anchor of sorts someone made is the conclusion I came up to. It had a power chord tied around it and the iron weighed about 5-8 lbs.

Well if you post a video about it I hope you leave out the part about you metal detecting someplace where you weren't supposed to be. As noble as your intentions were in calling the police, any newcomers to this hobby might get the wrong impression about how and where they can hunt for relics. That is the absolute last thing thing this hobby needs ..

there is nothing in the video about being where im not supposed to be I dont even actually know that im not allowed to detect there... It is now a bicycle path and people run and bike on it I would say what its called but I wont. Anyhow I am just talking out my ass about not being allowed but I do not know for sure. Thanks for caring

Another thing being allowed to detect there or not if the cops find this girl now its because I took a chance so condemn me if you will I hope they find this girl who has been missing around my side for the last 20-30 years. Hopefully now they know where to look they was close before but they should be right on now.

And I do see what you are saying about the people getting the wrong Idea but I do not tresspass on peoples property this place I am on is like a public park for say I am sure its okay that I am there the cops didnt say anything to me about it so im sure its fine. I just want to say im not trying to sound disrespectfull but if they find this girl that is all that matters to me. THanks

The missing girl isn't the point, if you aren't supposed to detect in an area then don't be there. We have enough issues with bad press from TV shows and the like. If you ask me, Dave was being nice about it.... :ban:

your all looking at the small issue the BIG ISSUE IS THE GRIL FUCK THE SIGNS
I was there for a reason thats what I believe and if you dont like thats fine but think if you lost someone and they had been missing for years and a metal detectorist was tresspassing and found her would you be more concerned someone was tresspassing or the fact that they found someone who you love?

And the sign says, "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Eh, what gives you the right?
To put up a fence and keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here He'd tell it to your face, man you're some kind of sinner

and if you dont know that one thats Tesla Signs good song . SORRY FOR POSTING AN ILLEGAL HUNT WHICH I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WAS JUST SAYING IT COULD HAVE BEEN BUT I DUNO BUT IF IT WAS AND SOMEONE GETS FOUND GOOD THE BIG DEAL OUT WEIGHS THE SMALL. Think bing Not stupid...

-- moved topic --

Your other thread says you solved a 30 year old murder. Did you solve a 30 year old murder or a 20 year old missing person mystery? Same pics and everything. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?60,1808350

OK, this is way way way off the wall. FIRST of all you found a gun. I have also found guns, one this year in fact. SECOND, you have absolutely NO idea if it has anything to do with a missing girl. Third, even if they do find a missing girl that had been shot, there will probaby be NO way to link the gun to the bullet. IF they find a girl and IF they find a bullet in the girl, it will be extremly hard to do balistics on the gun.

I was a cop for 9 years. I don't have all the answers and I might be wrong. However after my last stint with the police on the gun I found and almost had to go to court to get it back, I am hesitant to even call them on any more guns I find. They tried to keep my gun and almost had to go to court to get it back.

NOW if they find who the gun was registered to IF it was ever registered, they might be a step closer to finding out if it had ANYTHING to do with the missing girl. If your detecting on private property without permission, you can be opening upo a big bag of worms for yourself.

I am not being judgemental. The gun could have been dropped or buried way before or way after the girl went missing. If it wasn't stolen, or ever registered, you might want to see if you can get it back for your collection. The laws in Michigan are clear. I got the Taurus I found back after threatening the police with a lawsuit.

[size=x-small]And the sign says, "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Eh, what gives you the right?
To put up a fence and keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here He'd tell it to your face, man you're some kind of sinner

and if you dont know that one thats Tesla Signs good song .[/size]
Originally done by the Five Man Electrical Band in the '60's. Great song.

I think hunting along jogging and biking trails falls under the same general rules as town parks, so I think you were fine.

I agree- regardless of the doubt as to if you are allowed to hunt there or not, that is totally and completely beside the point of what is really important here. I for one would like to say that I'm proud you stepped up and called the cops regardless of whether you might be in trouble for being somewhere you weren't supposed to. People use all the excuses in the world for not doing the right thing. Even if your initial action was wrong (hunting there, and I don't see that you know one way or the other on that yet), you decided to do the right thing in the end by calling the cops. That's all that matters. Otherwise it would make no sense to not call the cops based on your doubt as to being able to hunt there. That shows character when you had a choice to make in the final outcome of just what to do here.

I'm not condoning hunting where people are not allowed to so don't anybody take that as what I'm saying, and by the sound of it he doesn't know either way on that. How many of us have taken a footpath to cut through the woods or such that we don't know for sure is privately owned or not? How many of us drive 5mph over the speed limit? How many of us coast through a stop sign on occasion? Point being we all are guilty of breaking the law in one way or the other. Yes, it's not an excuse and a free pass to do what we want, but if you coasted through a stop sign when you thought nobody was around to be at risk and ended up hitting somebody...Then what do you do? The right thing to do is call 911 and tell the cops what you did when they show up. Whether or not this man was "coasting through a stop sign" or not in hunting there I don't know, but the bottom line is he did the right thing in the end. I know if I had a friend who was lost then I don't care why a person was wherever, I only want them to call the cops in and let them sort it out.

If there was wire tied to a heavy object in that swamp or water or whatever, along with finding a gun, then for sure I'd be pressing the cops to do their job and check that place for a possible body. It ain't normal to tie wire to a heavy object just for kicks to throw in the water. Please keep us all informed in how this pans out.