Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

May not qualify as a good deed but.......

JB(MS)

A forum member who read it on Carl's forum asked me to post it here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few months ago I went to the elementary school down the street to kill an hour while waiting on a ballgame to come on tv. A small, sad looikng little boy, maybe 6 years old, was swinging on one of the tire swings and his father was pushing him. I walked around for a few minuntes looking for coins and the boys dad asked if I was finding anything, so I stopped to talk to him. He asked several questions about detectors and detecting, the little boy listened for a few minutes and then asked if he could use my detector. The detector I was using was too heavy for him so I got the Golden µMax with the seven inch Shadow X2 coil on it out of my truck, shortened the shaft and showed him how to swing it. I had found a dime, a nickel and three pennies, and I dropped them in the woodchip playground for the little boy to find. He had a hard time keeping the coil close enough to the ground to detect a coin, but he found the coins I dropped plus several trash objects. He was really excited about finding the coins, and just as excited when he found a trash object.

While the little boy was using the Golden his dad told me his wife had run off with another man and his son had been so depressed he mostly just sat around and cried. He had brought him to the school playground to try to cheer him up and said letting him use the detector had done what he hadn't been able to do, which was to make him happy and hear him laugh again. When they left the little boy was still excited and bubbling over about finding the coins. 18 cents isn't much, but I think it was one of the best hunts I've made.

Great story and yes it was a good deed better then you will know.

Outstanding. You Did Good. You will never know just how much you may have impacted that youngsters life.

You may have single-handedly planted the seed of a new detectorist with that simple act of generosity. I bet most of us can't look back on one single moment that brought us to this hobby (at least I can't) but if the hunting bug takes hold in this little boy, he'll look back on that the day when he was feeling low and a stranger gave him a first class thrill that lifted his spirits and gave him something positive to think about.

Well played!

-pete