Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MD'ed WV. CW. battle field finds & I haven't a clue.

John 'n' W.Va

I thought I try a CW. site. I figured It would be hunted out. I MD'ed it for 4 hours. I detected below where the North's canons sat. It was a steep hill with cliffs. So the lead I found had to be Confederate. If there was any difference. The war just started at the time of this battle.

Some of the things I see posted on this forum I would have thought it was just trash. So, any help in ID'ing things would be appreciated. I know the obvious things, horse shoe, nail, part of a plow and coins.

If you want to see things up close. Just click on the pic. It gets real up close.

Big iron.

[attachment 214068 10-29-2011018.jpg]

Little iron. The little wire was everywhere. I quit digging #11 0n my F 70.

[attachment 214069 10-29-2011022.jpg]

Lead.

[attachment 214070 10-29-2011008.jpg]

Coins.

[attachment 214071 02-20-2011042.jpg]

Nice finds! I'm just guessing but the item in the upper left of the picture with the horseshoe in it, looks like it could be the tip to a sword scabbard?

HH-CC

The wire is bailing wire used on square bails of hay, straw, forage etc.The sharp pointed object with the shoe is part of a sickle mower used from 1800's time to present.These finds show that theres lots to be found, keep doing what youre doing .Dig every target and i bet you'll have some great finds.

Hi John,
Yeah those bullets could be Confederate; hard to say.
.58 and .69 cal were used on both sides .
But when I've hunted CW sites in your state the lead that landed on or behind Union lines was almost universally round balls or buck and ball loads.
Of course it depends on how well a particular unit was outfitted too.
Never the less, great finds. Keep looking,there's gotta be some buttons or coins out there !!!

This unit of csa was brand new and poorly equipped. I can't remembered what their nickname was, but it was degrading. Being the first battle, they couldn't be too organized. I have a couple other places not well known that I am going to check out. One is a place that the north dumped a bunch of stuff being in a hurry to get to the battle. Another is a road check point that a local told me about.

I went back and found 3 more pieces of lead. Not much more. Hunting season started. I'm staying out of the woods for a while.

If you are ever in the area, look me up.

Nice find