Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Medallion/Charm?

Cruffler

Pretty small, about the size of a US nickel, slightly skinnier. On the back side marked
"Italy" near the top. Can't make out the writing on the front.

Why do you think it's gold ? I can't see gold anywhere on it and sometimes they are silver , but I see a base metal showing through ... either way it should be marked if it's gold or silver and it's not old enough to be made before precious metals where marked . IMHO - Woodstock

Woodstock said:
Why do you think it's gold ? I can't see gold anywhere on it and sometimes they are silver , but I see a base metal showing through ... either way it should be marked if it's gold or silver and it's not old enough to be made before precious metals where marked . IMHO - Woodstock

I found that exact tiny medalion on the internet in gold plating. Should be and IS are 2 different
conclusions. Depending on the acidity of the dirt he found it in, it's gold plating could have deteriorated
or even worn off before it was lost. In the blow up, the deep crevases do have a yellow coloring to them.
That could be dirt, clay, or remnants of gold as I assumed. Then it is very possible that it could be silver
or tin, or like ironsight said copper based. It is very rare to find anything at all that is solid gold. Brass,
copper, silver and other metals have been used in the past as a base for gold plating. In my moment of
ignorance I just assumed that experienced metal detectorist understood that.

Thanks for your observation.