Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mercury Coated Gold

sepoinak

Where I dredge I get a lot of gold with mercury coating it...what is the danger, if any, involved with it? Does it bring down the value of the gold it is stuck to? Is there a way to remove it safely?

Danger varies with quanity strictly. Simply buy a metal camp cup,ascertain what direction the wind is blown',go upwind and burn it off in a campfire. You can use dangerous acids but then your talkn' real danger. For quanties of gold mercury mix a mercury press is best-no heat or acid just air pressure to remove the bulk of free liquid mercury and good to go to heat. You can retort also with heat but simple micron contamination does not require such extremes. Quanity of contamination is the predicationg factor in removal. This newfound econazi fanaticism on mercury is unwarranted as homes now crammed fulla lightbulbs of all kinds-mandatory in kalif-( that's 100s a times the amount of mercury found on gold )and it's vaporized in it's most dangerous form to make light in a thin fragile glass squiggly or long glass tube. But that's allright hahahaha. Mercury is a naturally occuring metal and the kalif state geo bulletin 191 shows the kalif coastal ranges dump tons a year into the air,water and sea.-John PS-err on the side a caution,wear gloves,be upwind and stay away from dangerous acids

Never handle the mercury without gloves. it literally can enter your pores. if it gets on a desk it enters the pores in the wood if any.
If you cannot afford a retort which is the best way as no poison is released. The other method is to use potatoes, Take some potatoes cut them in half spoon a divot out of one side place your amalgam there put it back together and wrap it with foil just like your going to bake it, now go out in the woods start a camp fire put the potatoes in and come back when the fire is out and cool. maybe even wait a day.
Carefully unwrap your potatoes wearing gloves and carefully spoon out the gold onto a pan and wash any potato away from the gold. Now the potato should be crushed and panned you will get most the merc back. Or just dispose of properly. If the gold is discolored clean it with salt and vinegar in a jar and shake it, it will brighten up like new.
Last time I did it I used too small of potatoes and too hot a fire even my foil melted and I had to pan all the ashes to get my gold. But it was cool as it formed all in two places and gave me two exact same weight 4.7 gram chunks.
Good luck
Jim

Hey John
I hadn't heard that about mercury in the hills of CA I mean I know its there but only had heard about the asbestos that is in the soil of the serpentine belt being released all the time..
Can you direct me to some literature on this
Thanks
Jim

The easiest way to remove mercury coated gold is to put it in a little nitric acid, the acid will remove it very quickly. Mercury is not dangerous if proper precautions are followed. I have been using it all of my life ( played with it as a kid) I am now 78 yrs. old and in perfect health.

Yes proper precautions should be taken. Both the nitric and just throwing a pot in the fire release mercury gas. Unless your in a lab with a fume scrubber don't do it. the retort or the potato are the lesser of the evils. Here in Nevada the Carson river is considered the third most polluted waterway in the us due to mercury. In Dayton they removed ten feet of river bed at the state park and imported sand to make it safe to walk ankle deep in the water there. The Mercury is mixing with the farm chemicals and creating a algae that is toxic to human and forming red phosphorous on the edges of the rocks. It is Much more sinister than you give it credit for. Even in the waterways where it is cool it still releases gas.
Best to keep it out of our environment. Its like dumping your oil in the back yard we just don't or shouldn't do it any more!!
:goodnight:

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'll keep the mercury gold as is. I try to keep it separate form the other gold as it "migrates" to the other clean gold bits.

When it is dissolved in nitric the mercury stays in the acid. It can be precipitated out and reclaimed, if desired .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E9nzBiuCQc

The exit end of the retort should be wrapped in a wet cloth to prevent any vaporized fumes from escaping. Some folks submerge the exit under water also but I've heard conflicting stories on that, but NEVER a problem with water in pan and cloth coverage for safety sake. Good video-thanx-John

The problem with submerging the discharge on the retort in water is, if the heat under the retort goes out or lowers too much the water can be sucked back into the retort and cause it to explode. Not good.