Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detcting St. Thomas USVI (specifically Magens Bay)

mtdoramike

I just got back from my vacation and visiting family on St. Thomas. There has been discussion on the forums in the past about metal detecting in the US Virgin Islands. Here is the skinny: St. John is totally off limits for any type of metal detecting as well as water machines, if caught, you go to jail and lose you equipment. St. John is a National Park. St. Thomas and St. Croix are open to detecting as long as it's not private property or have posted restrictions. Now, for Magens Bay Beach, which has been discussed: This is a BIG NO! No beach detecting, no water detecting within the swimming areas. This also pertains to after hours as well. I spoke to someone I met from Magens Bay Authority who sits on the board and makes the rules, who specifically stated that they used to allow metal detecting years ago and even after hours up to a few years ago but had to put a stop to it because there were " several JACKASSES who would pester the visitors even while swimming asking if they lost anything. So if you are caught, you could face fines, jail and lose your equipment even after hours because they have security and well as the police patrol the park frequently. So thank you JACKASSES for ruining it for everyone just for a few trinkets and pocket change. When he told me this, I wished I had been there to take their machines and beat the hell out of them with it.

mike

hahahahahahahaha, seems like this subject is mute. I wonder if there were any of our members that participated in the loss of this privlage? I notice I don't see any attached posts condeming these fine up standing detectorist behavior.

mike

What they're telling you doesn't make any sense. Why would you go up to someone and ask if they've lost anything. Most of the time the losses aren't even noticed til later so why waste your time asking, just detect and take what you can find.

I would have thought the same thing had I not heard this same story before from the lifeguards, who also added that the detectorist would pester the guests by swinging their machines inbetween beach chairs, around their tables and not filling in the holes that they dug.

Sooooo do they also jail the pan handlers who worry the -ell out of everyone---of course not. Just leave us your money grin.

I have had a ton more pan handlers bother me here in Florida than I ever do in the Islands and I go back and forth quite often. It also bothers me when people try and justify bad behavior by posting a question to a statement rather than condemning the bad behavior and post cautions on metal detecting public areas. Lets all face the facts, metal detecting is a hobby that tends to rub people the wrong way. So it doesn't take much for liberal politicians to regulate it or totally disallow it, which has happened in some jurisdictions. I try and teach anyone that metal detects with me to be overly nice when approached, make yourself scarce when people show up and never metal detect public areas when there are more than a couple of people present. Last but not least, cover or fill in the blasted holes properly and not leave a field looking like a hoard of gophers hit it.