Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detected 1700s home near Revolutionary War cemetery!:usow:

Hi fellow treasure hunters!!
We visited this beautiful, old cemetery in the woods to pay our respect to the heroes who fought for the independence of this nation so long ago, and afterwards detected the yard of a 1784 house right around the corner. Amazing finds, including a very unique one. So excited!! LOVE history!! Thanks for watching!! As always, videos are short w/ no advertisement.
To all of you out there who fought for this nation's freedom: Thank you.

https://youtu.be/bIbB1zoegcQ

How in the world did you ever get a permission to hunt a site like that?! :shrug:

Your "shaving bowl" looks a lot like a large (very large) version of a fishing spinner. Let us know the final verdict.

-pete

Hi Pete!
Thanks for watching!! We were driving away from the cemetery and saw the house with the date above the door. The owner was working in the yard, so we just stopped and asked. He said (quote): "Have at it and have fun". I think being a girl helps with the whole permission asking, to be honest (less threatening, maybe). That property was super beautiful for sure! Will update on the "shaving bowl" once the verdict is in (looks like I have to buy that scratch ticket though!). happy hunting to you!!

PSS1963 said:
How in the world did you ever get a permission to hunt a site like that?! :shrug:

Your "shaving bowl" looks a lot like a large (very large) version of a fishing spinner. Let us know the final verdict.

-pete

The Silverslingers said:
Hi Pete!
Thanks for watching!! We were driving away from the cemetery and saw the house with the date above the door. The owner was working in the yard, so we just stopped and asked. He said (quote): "Have at it and have fun". I think being a girl helps with the whole permission asking, to be honest (less threatening, maybe). That property was super beautiful for sure! Will update on the "shaving bowl" once the verdict is in (looks like I have to buy that scratch ticket though!). happy hunting to you!!

PSS1963 said:

-pete

Good point! I don't think I could turn turn you down either. Us guys are such suckers for a pretty lady!

However you work it . . . keep workin' it! :super:

-pete

Thanks, Pete! I just looked at your signature line below your post - very cool, a King William III half penny! Great find!

The Silverslingers said:
Thanks, Pete! I just looked at your signature line below your post - very cool, a King William III half penny! Great find!

Yeah, got it last summer. It was the first coin target out of the ground at my brother's farm - about 2" deep next to the barn. There was so little detail left - just a few letters and a hair ribbon on the obverse - it took me hours to ID it. On the reverse you can just make out the line of the leg which is more straight than bent. The only example of a Wm.III with this matching feature (most have a noticeably bent leg) happened to be a 1696. I don't know how many varieties exist in each year of production - maybe nobody does - so I'm not sure if this is diagnostic (pinning it to 1696) or not, but given they were only made over a 7 year span, any guess you make can't be off by more than 3 years! At some point maybe I'll have a camera that can take good macro again and I'll post a pic of it.

The rest of the hunt that day produced three silver dimes (2 mercs and a Barber) - a single day record for me - and a few wheats. These seemed to comprise a spill that may have been dropped about 1935 or so from the dates. Later hunting of the same spot turned up some more wheats and an IH but the rest of the site has been barren of older coins so far - just a couple of clad quarters. There is plenty more ground to search but I don't get up that way too often so its slow goin'. Keepin' the fingers crossed!

-pete