Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal Detecting Conventions / Shows ???

sstephenson

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I was just wondering if there are any popular shows or conventions that highlight the metal detecting hobby? It would be great to find a show that exhibits lots of new and used detectors, detecting accessories and tools, etc. I'm guessing that some gem and mineral shows have some stuff, but I don't want to travel a long way just to find out that there's only a table or two of that kind of stuff. I'm located near San Diego, CA but I don't mind a road trip to an adjacent state if necessary. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Closest I've seen to a metal detector show is a gold and prospecting show. (Usually several different brands show up and it's a great place to check them all out.)

you should also check out the competition hunts. they usually have dealers set up and you can learn about and see new equpment.

I wish there were more shows of a similar nature. The next one is two weeks from Saturday (tomorrow, the 5th), if you don't mind traveling over a couple of states.

TEXAS TREASURE SHOW 2011
Presented by
The Texas Council of Treasure Clubs, Inc.
March 19 -20, 2011
Lone Star Convention Center --- Conroe, Texas

If we rolled the clock, and calendar, back to the era from about 1975 thru 1990 or a few years later, we would have enjoyed a lot of activity related to this great sport. Many metal detecting related magazines available in most stores. Brisk growth in the detecting hobby with detectors sold all over the place. Not just in mass-market stores of the day, like Montgomery Wards and Sears, but coin shops, sporting good stores, gun shops, fishing shops, hardware stores, and then the countless number of good ol' metal detector shops, some also dealing in prospecting equipment.

There were far more people out on a regular basis metal detecting schools, parks, beaches, picnic and camp grounds, and out-of -the-way sites were also drawing a lot of attraction. There were several hundred metal detecting clubs across the USA, with a mast number of them hosting an annual Competition Hunt. Some of these were rather large get-togethers with hundreds of people present and many metal detector dealers. Even some of the bigger hunts had factory representation. Today, things are quite different.

Virtually no magazines in any quantity out there. Far fewer metal detecting clubs, and even a much smaller number of annual competition hunts. Today, we don't see the number of hobbyists out on a regular basis enjoying the hunt for coins in the typical public sites. Not as many metal detector manufacturers as we once saw, so many gatherings that are open to the public are really more limited. The Texas Council of Treasure Clubs might be one of the largest of its type. I'm sure there are a few more.

As mentioned, the GPAA does hold a number of 'Gold Shows' around the country and these do draw a number of dealers as well as manufacturer's reps. In California there is a GPAA show in Redding on 3/19 and 3/20, and if you drive north to Salem, Oregon I'll be working there in a month on 4/2 and 4/3.

I know that I've been working with associates of AHRPS.org to check into hosting some events in Oregon, Utah, and a couple of others states. The key ingredient is making sure we can get the support of major manufacturers, local metal detecting clubs, and any historical societies and agencies in those regions to help support such a large show. Right now it's a work in progress and we might get some arranged by late this year and do them into about May or so next year.

Just start cruising through some possibilities by checking with your computer. You might find some of interest to you.

Monte

Thanks Monte, Chuck, and nw1886,

Looks like I missed the closest opportunity in January at the GPAA show in Pomona, CA. I just got bitten by the bug to get back into the hobby after a couple decades off:razz:

Shows are always a fun opportunity to see old and new equipment, trade stories, and learn some new things. I'll keep an eye out for something fairly close. Thanks for your thoughts and maybe we'll meet up some day.

Steve