Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Metal detection in the surf zone

I usually carry out metal detection in the wet sand area, and always wait for the beach tide to recede. I plan to buy a waterproof headset to carry out metal detection in the surfing area, but I am a novice. What kind of surf suit am I going to buy? I hope you can give me some experience, thank you very much:cry:

It depends on your water temp and your body tolerance........ not to mention the CRITTERS out there. I have a Vest i wear when the water starts getting cooler, then a 3MM suit, then winter a 7MM suit just because i dont like getting cold not because i need on that high of a MM. Mine are all full arm then to the knee front zip suits. I hated the full suits with the zipper in the back..... just frustrating..... and mine you step in and out of quickly. I also have MARE hard bottom 6.5 MM boots. The heavy boots dont smell over time like the thinner ones..... and being thicker handle the pulling and tugging on them. You wont wear out the bottoms from your scoop either. Cool water after say 7 hours in it can get COLD.

dewcon4414 said:
It depends on your water temp and your body tolerance........ not to mention the CRITTERS out there. I have a Vest i wear when the water starts getting cooler, then a 3MM suit, then winter a 7MM suit just because i dont like getting cold not because i need on that high of a MM. Mine are all full arm then to the knee front zip suits. I hated the full suits with the zipper in the back..... just frustrating..... and mine you step in and out of quickly. I also have MARE hard bottom 6.5 MM boots. The heavy boots dont smell over time like the thinner ones..... and being thicker handle the pulling and tugging on them. You wont wear out the bottoms from your scoop either. Cool water after say 7 hours in it can get COLD.
How do you swing your metal detector? In the sea, waves hit our bodies, and metal detectors

JASON CHINA said:
How do you swing your metal detector? In the sea, waves hit our bodies, and metal detectors

You cant swing it fast like on land. Dont try to force it, just keep an easy swing. If you have strong wash, try to move the coil WITH the flow. Trying to swing against it will just lead to frustration.

I will refer to everyone's opinion! But it takes experience and habit to turn on 50 tones when the Numbers and coils are completely invisible, as well as sand scoop's precise attack position

LOL...... target recovery is far harder than taking on the waves. Jason is right..... you move the coil slowly with the current which goes in and out and most of the time if the waves are pertty good size..... you have to move N to S because you dont want to face them or get swollowed up by one you cant see coming. Once you learn your swell charts you have a pretty good idea what that will mean wave size out there too. If you are in a position that you know where you want to be but THATS where those waves are crashing....... you are better off getting alittle closer to shore. Depending on the beach........ sometimes its better to hunt HIGH tide the swells may not be as big.